The online racing simulator
Windows file extension problem
(8 posts, started )
Hi,

I have a problem with my windows. Everytime i create a new file in Word or something (and program actually) i have to specify the file extension or windows won't recognise the file.
So for example i have to put .doc at the end of a word document.
Anyone know a solution for this?
Open an explorer window.

Tools - Folder Options - View - tick "Hide extensions for known file types"

Tada!
#3 - heson
Trust me, you want it as it is, becuase othevise you can open the nice picture nude_anna_kournikova.jpg.exe
Quote from heson :Trust me, you want it as it is, becuase othevise you can open the nice picture nude_anna_kournikova.jpg.exe

Got a linky plzkthx?
Quote from tristancliffe :Open an explorer window.

Tools - Folder Options - View - tick "Hide extensions for known file types"

Tada!

It already is ticked...

I dont think u understand what i mean Tristan. Normally when you click File > Save As... in a windows program there is a drop down box where you select your file type.
Lets say for sake of argument we're saving a Word Doc. So you select the .doc extension in the drop down and the you call the document "Niki" and press Save.
The problem i have is that i have to type "Niki.doc" instead of just "Niki".
Oh... Um, well I don't know then

Could it be a file association problem? Is there a setting in word? Does this happen with all files (e.g. notepad = .txt)? Obvious question - have you recently changed/installed anything 'odd'?
yes it happens with all programs, really annoys me in photoshop
When you have saved a .doc file, go to that file and right click on it, choose properties. Look at the part that says 'Opens with:' and see what it says. Click the change button and choose MSWord. You might just need to re-associate each file type with a program if for some reason your association got all trashed.

(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG