The online racing simulator
Digital SLR Cameras
(155 posts, started )
Digital SLR Cameras
Hello guys, happy new year .

I've recently taken up an interest in photography, and i was just looking for a decent entry-level Camera, from around £300-£400...I've seen that people use different lenses, and that they are for different distances, but i wont be zooming miles into something, so something sensible with over 10X zoom would be alright.

Also, does anyone know of any online guides to photography? If so, please can you show me?

Thanks, and happy 2008
Harjun
Are your parents amazingly wealthy? Because you seem to change your mind about these things more often than you change underwear

I'm no photography expert, but I am careful with money. I wouldn't go spending £300 on a camera unless you are entirely committed to it. Borrow one from someone or start off with something about £50. Remember, the camera doesn't make the photo, the photographer does. You can get amazing pictures with a £7 disposable just like you can take crap ones with a £2000 Nikon setup.
#3 - Jakg
Quote from harjun :...so something sensible with over 10X zoom would be alright.

:doh:

What about your Computer? Or your Kart? What about when you get bored of this?

I'd suggest you get a cheapo camera for now, as you can still take good pics on a crap camera, whereas having an SLR wont naturally make you good.
For that money you should look at the Nikon D40 (or D40X) or the Canon EOS 400D. I recently bought a 400D and I love it.

Having said that, you appear to know little about SLR photography, so unless you're willing to learn, I'd buy a higher-end point and shoot rather than an SLR.

'10x optical zoom' is utterly meaningless without reference to focal lengths. A zoom lens is one on which you can change the focal length. The 'optical zoom' is simply the longest focal length divided by the shortest focal length. Hence a 2-20mm lens and a 20-200mm lens both have '10x zoom' but are for completely different things.

The only reasonably-priced '10x' SLR lens I know of is the Nikon 18-200mm for about £450. That's just the lens...you'll also need the camera itself which will probably cost you about £400. For your budget of £300-£400 you're only going to be able to get the camera plus the standard 'kit lens' which is usually a 17-55mm (i.e. 3x zoom).
#5 - ajp71
Get Daddy to buy you one of these.
Canon 350Ds are going cheap these days, since the 400D came out, and remain a very good amateur camera. But before you get an SLR, you should gain an understanding of apertures, metering, shutter speeds, focussing, lenses (for example, most lenses are still referred to using the 35mm conventions, like 300-400mm zoom, rather than 10x which few people can actually relate to yet), lens materials, and LOTS of other stuff.
When you get tired of it, can you sell it to me cheap before you break it?
#8 - TiJay
I'd recommend a 'bridge' camera such as the Fujifilm S5700 if you're just starting out with serious photography. Bridge cameras have all the right manual settings that your average compact cameras don't have and are about the half the price of the cheapest SLR. Then once you understand everything, pick up an SLR if you're sure photography is for you.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/o ... 0230-21/?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

I have the Fuji S5700 and it's perfect for me- manual settings when I want them to create 'proper' photoraphs and the ability to take quick snapshots and videos.
Don't get dSLR, you probably don't really want one to be completely honest, dSLRs are meant for photography hobyists.

Here, read this:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm

I've seen thousands of pictures from some point and shoots, that one would never have thought they were from point and shoots.

Plus, there are point and shoots with 23x zoom out there, oh, by the way, "x" zoom in dSLRs don't exist, it's measured in millimeters.
If you want a good point and shoot, check out Canon's IS powershots like here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon- ... M0Q4/ref=pd_sbs_ce_img_12 , some even look similar to their SLRs.
As TiJay pointed out, I've seen those Fuji Finepixs' too, and they work fantastic

Trust me, you really don't want to have to deal with a dSLR yet, there's plenty of upkeep, and by no means is it cheap.
When I bought my Nikon D40 last August, it cost $480, and that wasn't even new, it was a show camera, thus saving me about $60.
It comes with an 18-55mm 3.5 -5.6 AF-S (which for those of you Nikon Fans, this wonderful and cheap lens now comes in a VR model which is around $200.. cheap!)
I bought a 55-200mm 4-5.6 AF-S VR, for $250 (which I'm mad it's $200 now)
A 50mm Manual 1.8 (cheap and excellent, got it for $30 at adorama)
and a 135mm Manual (shoulda gotten the 100) 2.8, ($130), which is a hog with the amount of glass in it.

And those last lenses don't even focus by camera, I have to focus them, so quick shots me not, and the reason I bought those lenses is because they're insanely fast, and they're actually really good lenses to, very little flaring and ghosts etc.

Sensor cleaing I don't even want to talk about it, I screwed up somewhere and I finally had to do it and it sucks and totally turned me off of dSLRs (well.. until I buy the D300, which is exactly what I want, it's set up perfectly right where I want everything), but of course keep my D40 for a backup.

Harjun at your age, no offense but I wouldn't trust giving you a several hundred dollar camera with a several hundred dollar lens attached, once scratch on the lens and it is rendered useless, one fall from the hands the entire camera is most likely destroyed.

Check out the amazon link I posted, I think that Canon IS Powershot is what you're looking for. It's got all the features of an SLR as far as it can go without being one, plus with point and shoots you can take videos.. can't do that with an SLR, so it has its advantages. Plus keep in mind it's an IS (VR equivalent of nikon), meaning it has full time image stabalization.

edit- holy sh*t this is long lol I didn't even notice me rambling off, anyways.. enjoy reading
#10 - Jakg
Just to clarify, i'm no 1337 photographer, but all (but about 2) of the pics on my site (www.Jakg.com) are taken with a Kodak Z740...

It's one of those "SLR Lookalike" Point-&-Shoots. It ah

I am NOT suggesting that you should buy my camera, i'm just saying that you can get some bloody nice pics out of point-&-shoots without buying any extra lenses. I think you can get my camera for about £120, and i'm sure there are MUCH better cameras at the smae price-range.
You work for it.

Trust me, I've been going the cheap route.
If I had the money I'd have already bought the 80-400mm 4.5 - 5.6 AF VR, which doesn't focus with D40 btw, but it's $1,500, but an exxxxcelent lens.
I've been looking into wide angle lenses, but the only cheap one that is good that I can find is $600 if you can find one.

Oh I forgot to mention I bought an SB-400 flash for $120 the first week I had my camera too, it was well worth it, I love that flash.

Like I said, I don't think you're ready for the maintenance of an SLR harjun, it's lots of work, and its an expensive lifestyle, plus you have to keep it all clean and safe, you have to remember these lenses are made out of lots of glass, and a drop to the ground (if you're unlucky), if it shatters even one frame of glass the lens is destroyed, a single scratch to the lens makes it useless too.
#12 - Jakg
I don't think LFSn00b was talking about you, XCNuse.
ahh...ok then, thanks Nuse, you seem to know what you are saying, but you see, my dad and brother will also be using the camera, and i know all about apertures and stuff, because my dad has a Sony Cyber-shot 7.2 MP...its a year and a bit old, but it does the job.

I've seen this
http://www.bigcitydigital.co.u ... kon-d40x-kit-with-954.htm

do you know where i could get it cheaper?

Thanks to those who helped.
#14 - Jakg
Quote from harjun :...and i know all about apertures and stuff, because my dad has a Sony Cyber-shot 7.2 MP...its a year and a bit old, but it does the job.

:doh:

First, you want a good computer. Click. Q6660 and 8800GTS. Then you want a Kart. Click. Its there. Now you want a camera. Click. D40.

Share the cash around dude.
Harjun - I'll put your name on my racing car (or your Dad's business, or whatever), if you'll pay for my race tyres in 2008! No jokes, absolutely serious.
Quote from tristancliffe :Harjun - I'll put your name on my racing car (or your Dad's business, or whatever), if you'll pay for my race tyres in 2008! No jokes, absolutely serious.

why would i want my name on your car lol...

Anyway, this seems to more of a laughing thread than a serious one, but i like the D40X, but the grip seems really long
#17 - Don
lol dslr sucks you cant take vids with it and the photo appears on the lcd only AFTER you take it and lol only 3x zoom for that price that sucks
Quote from Don :lol dslr sucks you cant take vids with it and the photo appears on the lcd only AFTER you take it and lol only 3x zoom for that price that sucks

but if you buy a different lense can't you go upto 40x zoom?
Quote from harjun :why would i want my name on your car lol...

Anyway, this seems to more of a laughing thread than a serious one, but i like the D40X, but the grip seems really long

If you had your name on tristans car, then you could become famous!....then again...

Seriously, about this camera thing. Do you really need something like an SLR camera? If your going into professional photography, then you should get a beginner camera first instead of a 400-500 pound camera. Just my advice.
but i've been taking pictures with my dads digital for ages and everyone, like, all 20 of my cousins and family really like them
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :If you had your name on tristans car, then you could become famous!....then again...

Not likely! We don't attract much of a crowd

Harjun - Your father's company? They could do with a little bit of advertising? And I could do with some new tyres
Quote from tristancliffe :
Harjun - Your father's company? They could do with a little bit of advertising? And I could do with some new tyres

Harjun...just look at it this way...Advertising = More customers for your Dads company = more profit = more money for him to spend on expensive toys for you!
#23 - Don
Quote from harjun :but if you buy a different lense can't you go upto 40x zoom?

i`d love 10-400 lens, where do i get them?

btw: what are you currently missing on your dads sony? why do you need dslr?
Quote from tristancliffe :Harjun - I'll put your name on my racing car (or your Dad's business, or whatever), if you'll pay for my race tyres in 2008! No jokes, absolutely serious.

Actually Harjun our lorry is pretty useless (rigid Iveco with ridiculously short gearing getting 6mpg, I know someone who gets nearly double that with a 32 ton artic ) but that slight issue of money comes up if you get us a new one we'd be happy to plaster whatever you like all over it. Again this is a serious offer, we'd also happily move from F4 to Thoroughbred GP if you fancy lending a bit of cash.
Quote from harjun :but i've been taking pictures with my dads digital for ages and everyone, like, all 20 of my cousins and family really like them

Well why not get a digital? I have a Finepix (i'll get the actual model number for you later.) and have had it for 2 years now. Its something like 3x optical zoom and 4.4x digital zoom which is enough for me. 6.4mp is the highest it can go, but for filesize, i take most of them in 1mp-2mp and only go higher when i actually want to take nice shots.

This picture attached was taken at 1mp, and although you can notice a little bit of pixelation, its good enough. If you want, i can take a picture of the same car at the highest setting this weekend so you can see how it looks.

p.s, the model is a FUJIFILM FinePix F601 ZOOM

oh, and i think these cameras are going pretty cheap now too.
Attached images
DSCF0007.JPG

Digital SLR Cameras
(155 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG