The online racing simulator
Anyone here listen to hip hop?
(91 posts, started )
I'm not that much into Hip Hop, but a few Days ago a Friend sent me a link to a free Jay-Z / Elvis Presley Mixtape wich is rather good. Here's the Link.

Me.
Dance (club), R'n'B and hip-hop. RAVE! happy new year everyone BTW
No, no and no. I hate that hip-hippie-hop or whatever and that whole world of it, big pants, shiny jewels and even bigger and shinyer wheels on even bigger and gayer SUV or whatever. And that all teen-boy anti-social aggression or whatever. Sorry if I offended somebody but I just think like this, hope anybody don't get this personally...
Only rap-artist I liked, was finnish Raptori and that was just because lyrics were fun. And yeah, I have friends who listen hip-hop, but it's oke cause they don't wear big and shiny things and act like stupid...

And oh, I listen techno-shit. Trance and etc... Old rock is good too, but I don't really listen it.
Quote from BigPeBe :No, no and no. I hate that hip-hippie-hop or whatever and that whole world of it, big pants, shiny jewels and even bigger and shinyer wheels on even bigger and gayer SUV or whatever.

That's a very partial characterisation of hip hop. Yes, there's a lot of gangsta stuff and rappers repeating "me me me me" bragging about what they do, for real or for "art", but there are also some excellent artists who write and perform differently.

As an avid music listener I've come to the conclusion that there's no use in bashing entirely a style or genre (especially when it's broad as hip hop) because if you take a thorough look you'll be able to find rare gems in the middle of a huge pile of garbage. For instance I dislike country (and lots of different styles), but I must absolutely save some excellent stuff like the renditions of some songs offered by Johnny Cash.
Quote from Highsider9 :I'm not that much into Hip Hop, but a few Days ago a Friend sent me a link to a free Jay-Z / Elvis Presley Mixtape wich is rather good. Here's the Link.

This is an impressive download, it took 2 tries, I finally have it and I'm enjoying it.

I listen to house, dance, trance, electronic, rock (oldies, 80s, and today), alternative, and rap here and there.
Sorry to post again lol, but I just got done listening to the entire soundtrack.

Despite it's very explicit lyrics, this is a fantastic album.
I had to do music reviews during english this semester for indie music, and I'm giving this album a 4/5, It would be a 5/5 but the lyrics don't quite keep up with Elvis, but the beats sure do, and this is fantastic, a mix of Rock and Rap, something that is rarely done, unless you're Run DMC and Aerosmith. Others have tried, and I can only imagine it is not easy to do, but this is a euphoric blend of rap bass and old school guitars.

If you like Elvis, or enjoy rap, you'll enjoy this album, even if you like neither you should check it out.
For those of you who enjoy Elvis more, keep in mind this isn't Elvis playing here, it's Jay-Z, there is little Elvis in here, but don't be upset when you only hear the intros and outtros of some songs with Elvis, because that is all he is in, and maybe some centers.

Like I said, check it out this is a wonderful album, and you're missing out if you don't download it!
Quote from Lebaron :When I think of LFSers & music, I picture the Europeans listening to techno/trance/house and the Americans listening to rock/metal/pop. Does anybody here listen to hip hop (both classic and contemporary) like A Tribe Called Quest, Black Sheep, Common, Mos Def, etc.. ?

Nope i dont listen to those kinds of musick i listen to rock and s0ngs that have nice lyrics

Rock like Foo Fighters Bon jovi Dakota star

and lovee songs (i know girlish) like Bryan Adamsalso listed as rock
Yep, I'm american too according to you.
KRS One, Erik B and Rakim, cypress hill, dizzee rascal. i like those dudes and a few more that I can never remember!
Quote from Highsider9 :I'm not that much into Hip Hop, but a few Days ago a Friend sent me a link to a free Jay-Z / Elvis Presley Mixtape wich is rather good. Here's the Link.

Recently heard a 'song' called "Snoop Dogg feat. The Doors: Riders on the Storm."

I guess this is the future of music: take some classic rock song, steal the main riff and chords from it and record some gangsta shit over it. Artistic originality FTW.
@ deggis, that song actually made its prime through NFSU2, it was the main title song, it's the first song that plays when you play the song.

Pretty good song, but Ride the Storm is to good as it is
Quote from Albieg :... I've come to the conclusion that there's no use in bashing entirely a style or genre (especially when it's broad as hip hop) because if you take a thorough look you'll be able to find rare gems in the middle of a huge pile of garbage ...

Absolutely agreed ! Music is not about genre's , it's about how you like the given song. Few years ago I thought I will never listen to music played by SoaD , but after some time I found out that they do have some great songs .
Now to the topic - Hip hop ? Fo' sho' Eminem , Snoop Dogg , even 50 Cent and also Sub Bass Monster ( hungarian ) .
Their is some hip hop I like, Fettes Brot, Fanta4 e.g

But in Germany all you get on TV and Radio is US blink-blink and wannabee german gangsta (they call it aggro here...) hip hop. And the guys parodiering (right word?) it always end up making better songs (anyone knows Fresh Dumbledore:razz
Quote from Albieg :You mean, like the techno-shit produced in Germany by people like Oval, Bernard Gunther, Frank Bretschneider, Paul Kalkbrenner, Funkstorung, or by the likes of labels such as the now gone Mille Plateaux? Or the shit produced by artists such as Alva Noto aka Carsten Nicolai, both alone and paired with the likes of Sakamoto, Pan Sonic and others?

Well, sorry, I haven't heard any of these names before. The whole genre just doesn't interest me so I didn't look/hear any further than the most "popular" songs which I think are "shit". Scooter for example.
It was the wrong choice of words, sorry. You are of course right that you can't label a whole music genre with one word.
I do listen to more than what is played on the radio, though. But rather in the rock/metal direction.

Quote from ACCAkut :Their is some hip hop I like, Fettes Brot, Fanta4 e.g

Fettes Brot is great. I also loved the Absolute Beginners.

And IMO, a nice exception to the mostly brainless lyrics in german hip hop is/was (I don't think he has done anything in the last years) Samy Deluxe. He also had some serious songs that were not about "dissing" others.
There's nothing to be sorry of, zeugnimod, but the experimental and minimal techno coming from Germany is generally excellent. You don't have to take my word from granted, you just have to take a look at an issue of The Wire (best quality music magazine ever).
I come from American hardcore punk listenings, so I had to go a long way before appreciating such intellectually challenging material. Since then I've scrapped metal and punk off my list (except Meshuggah, Fugazi and Nomeansno).

A friend of mine beside me is reading this thread too. He just said "Scooter? It's crystal clear why techno is shit for him... because Scooter is shit"...

Edit: I must confess I didn't know who Scooter, is, so I went on Youtube looking for a video of his, and found this. Woah. I'm not going to comment. Well, Carsten Nicolai begs to differ. Take a look at this video of an installation of his in Japan if you're curious. As you can see our concept of techno is totally different.
I still like a lot of old, unsophisticated punk stuff, but I think it's because I remember living here when Thatcher was in power. I don't think Britain has produced much in the way of quality pop music since we got rid of her.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I still like a lot of old, unsophisticated punk stuff

To be honest I never liked British punk that much, but I didn't listen to many records anyway. When I finally had the courage to buy Punk's not Dead by The Exploited I realised punk was dead.
Quote from Albieg :I must confess I didn't know who Scooter, is, so I went on Youtube looking for a video of his, and found this. Woah. I'm not going to comment. Well, Carsten Nicolai begs to differ. Take a look at this video of an installation of his in Japan if you're curious. As you can see our concept of techno is totally different.

I feel sorry that you know them now. I guess you could have lived without hearing this "song". They have other great classics with very interesting titles such as "Move your ass", "Hyper Hyper" or "How much is the fish?".

The other video was pretty impressive and has indeed nothing to do with what I call(ed) "techno". Still nothing for me, though.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I remember living here when Thatcher was in power. I don't think Britain has produced much in the way of quality pop music since we got rid of her.

Let bring her back then. Britain will still be the shit pit it is now, but at least we'll have some good music to listen to.
Quote from zeugnimod :
Still nothing for me, though.

I know, in fact a tiny minority of people likes and takes pleasure in approaching such stuff. But surely you'll easily understand the huge difference in style...

lol at the Moose.
Guys you have not seen hip hop (or whatever you young kids call it these days) till you have seen the offerings from good old Inverness... Ladies and Gentlemen I give you Das Spit.

Or if that is not too you're taste, how about another home grown talent, a kid that no doubt will go far in the music industry Gaz Livz.

P.S. I'm being sarcastic, I am in fact slightly embarrassed by these guys, especially Gaz Livz (or Garry currently working at the McDonald's drive through in Dundee). i just found these very funny, and thought that I should share them with you guys for general amusement.

Anyone here listen to hip hop?
(91 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG