The online racing simulator
Are there any real racing drivers playing lfs
Hi i do karting as you can tell by my avatar but i just wanted to know if there are any other real life racing drivers play lfs i guess there are quite a few compared to some of the driving skill on lfs
(no offence normal lfs'ers) and is there any one from NATSKA on here please reply if you do any real life racing
#2 - joen
Quote from viper-2007 :Hi i do karting as you can tell by my avatar but i just wanted to know if there are any other real life racing drivers play lfs i guess there are quite a few compared to some of the driving skill on lfs
(no offence normal lfs'ers) and is there any one from NATSKA on here please reply if you do any real life racing

There's probably several people who drive or have driven racing cars. Whether or not there are people who are actively racing at the moment I don't know but it wouldn't surprise me. I read some comments recently from someone who has driven Formula BMW, can't remember the name atm (sorry )
Yes there are several. Some are tintop drivers, others are karters, and others are single seater drivers.
There are a fair few, seems alot of karters. Tristan does obviosly too. Most well known I know of is Mike Jordan who seems to be a serial tin top racer Though there are probably many more.
Jardier races in some BMW M1 series. He previously raced some lower class tin tops. Altough from his youtube account looks like lack of real tracks forced him to change to rFactor.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=Jardier
I'll never get that. A real world race driver sacrifices handling, physics and playability for an environment that might look a bit like a real track if you squint, and certainly doesn't drive like it... Very odd, but each to their own.
#7 - BURN
Quote from joen :There's probably several people who drive or have driven racing cars. Whether or not there are people who are actively racing at the moment I don't know but it wouldn't surprise me. I read some comments recently from someone who has driven Formula BMW, can't remember the name atm (sorry )

i think u mean this one?
http://www.lfsforum.net/showth ... amp;highlight=formula+bmw

@ tristan, its a miracle for me too
I have a sneaking suspicion that there are quite a few current and former racing drivers who also drive this sim, but they prefer to remain anonymous in order to dissuade undesired attention.

Impossible to verify of course, but it makes the feel of LFS even more special.
Quote from tristancliffe :I'll never get that. A real world race driver sacrifices handling, physics and playability for an environment that might look a bit like a real track if you squint, and certainly doesn't drive like it... Very odd, but each to their own.

I may have subconsciously set that real tracks & rFactor trap for you.

You can ask that question from this FIA GT3 champion and current FIA GT2 driver who plays rFactor/GTR2 and has even post history in rscnet.org. Or would you honestly say he would learn more from LFS than rFactor? Obviously a driver who is on that high level doesn't anymore need to learn how to drive, so the half-arsed real tracks are the only thing he can practice. At least I don't understand how knowing Blackwood inside out would make him faster at Monza.
-
(Mazz4200) DELETED by Mazz4200
Eoin Murray plays LFS under the name E.Murray and his username is something weird. He may be good in an Alfa, but from what I've seen, he sucks big time in the Formula BMW, at South City anyway

Wow, 2,500 post.
Quote from deggis :Jardier races in some BMW M1 series.

This was the first thing that popped into my head when I read that, imagine the disapointment of turning up and finding a hatch back

Quote from deggis :I may have subconsciously set that real tracks & rFactor trap for you.

I doubt he gets anything out of driving a real track and car on rF the tracks themselves are so far away from reality that even a good track isn't worth bothering to try and learn or develop lines in a sim. Simply driving a car on the limit, pretty much any car really is probably helpful but I don't think trying to drive a specific combo in a sim then IRL would be helpful or teach you much other than bad habits.
I'm that bloke off the formula one. Wassisname... Alex Yoong. No, wait...
I race karts
Quote from deggis :I may have subconsciously set that real tracks & rFactor trap for you.

You can ask that question from this FIA GT3 champion and current FIA GT2 driver who plays rFactor/GTR2 and has even post history in rscnet.org. Or would you honestly say he would learn more from LFS than rFactor? Obviously a driver who is on that high level doesn't anymore need to learn how to drive, so the half-arsed real tracks are the only thing he can practice. At least I don't understand how knowing Blackwood inside out would make him faster at Monza.

Hey ,

As I know Sean Edwards is a good friend of mine who i also race with (on a rFactor league) was chatting too him today about this thread asking what he thinks

He said "I use rFactor for learning tracks, ok you can't get the bumps and cambers, but you can learn which way the corners go before you arrive there in real life, which is a huge advantge. I also play for fun, reactions and endurance.
I tried lfs (he has lfs),he likes the physics / engine but dont like the menu systems and there are no real tracks."

I'm sure Jardier would say something the same
Jardier was racing in czech BMW 1 Challenge 2006 and he won it. but he completely converted to dark side (rfactor)

another real racer is Dan Michl - dmichl, 2nd in his category in European Hill Climb champ. 2006 and czech HC champion in 2003. he racing this year with this nice car Lotus Michl

and offcourse... Norbi Kiss was driving in this year hungarian GP Porsche Super Cup race
And ofcourse Niki Meredith, or in short : Nikimere.
Quote from ajp71 :This was the first thing that popped into my head when I read that, imagine the disapointment of turning up and finding a hatch back

I come everytime I watch this:
http://www.motorsportvideo.tv/ ... mw-m1-peter-heinrich.html

Wait until the intro and the warm up lap... slow driving but amazing onboard sound quality.

Quote from paddy_racer :As I know Sean Edwards is a good friend of mine who i also race with (on a rFactor league) was chatting too him today about this thread asking what he thinks

He said "I use rFactor for learning tracks, ok you can't get the bumps and cambers, but you can learn which way the corners go before you arrive there in real life, which is a huge advantge. I also play for fun, reactions and endurance.
I tried lfs (he has lfs),he likes the physics / engine but dont like the menu systems and there are no real tracks."

Thanks, something like that I could have expected.

Might be a bit far off example but hell, that even works the other way too: if you watch some race on tv or onboard video, then go download the track for game x and start playing, you already know the track profile and which way the corners goes. And in real life it's even more helpful because track time is always limited.
I drive an RX-7, but only about 5-6 times a year, nothing too serious.

Too bloody expensive to get serious about racing.
I race karts
Rotax to be precise.
Have done juniors this year, got dutch champion, 9th in euro challenge, and 4th at the world championships in Al Ain (UAE)
Now I'm moving up to seniors.
For those who are interested, got two links for you
A review from the 2007 season: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csqNJ_WBs-w
And my website (it's in Dutch but ah well:razz: http://www.jackswinkels.nl

See you guys on track
Valtteri Bottas, 18 years old from Finland.

Third place in the Formula Renault Northern Euro Cup, best rookie. Five wins from his last six Formula Renault races, including 3 wins and a second from four Formula Renault UK Winter Cup 2007 races. He also tested a Formula Renault World Series car and was fastest by 0.6 seconds at Paul Ricard. He'll probably be racing in Formula Renault UK next year, if he does well there, Formula 1 is a likely destination within the next few years! He was also recently named Finnish Young Driver of the Year, with Raikkonen winning the main award.

Racing Profile / LFS Profile

Edit: There's an onboard video on youtube showing Vale testing the Formula Renault last year in Finland.
I drive race cars, closed cockpit cars ranging from Mazda Miatas to Porsche 911's here in the USA.
-
(squidhead) DELETED by squidhead
#25 - 5haz
Wouldnt be supprised if quite a few real drivers used LFS, despite the cars and tracks being fictional, LFS gets about as close to real life physics wise than anything else.

I did my first season of racing ever racing the Ginetta G20 junior car last year, was pretty tricky at first as the whole thing was run on a shoestring and I have barely done any karting either.

The end result was a few top tens, a 5th in the rain at Pembery and a 3rd right at the end of the year in the non championship 'winter series' at Brands Hatch (Indy Circuit). Who knows i could have held onto 3rd place in the overall standings, but a puncture in the 2nd race and then a spin into the gravel in the wet in the 3rd, oh well, if we can scrape enough money we might be able to do it again this year.

I cant help but feel guilty about it though, at 15 im getting to do what very few people ever get to do.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG