The online racing simulator
Manual clutch on the FBM
(15 posts, started )
Manual clutch on the FBM
hi everyone ,

first off, happy new year to all of you sim racers !

just got a question , im wondering how EXACTLY the gears are shifted on the FBM..i mean , is the manual cluth is used even with a sequential gearbox ? maybe for up shifting only ? does anyne know how it is in real life ..

thx in advance !
Quote from silent_wind :hi everyone ,

first off, happy new year to all of you sim racers !

just got a question , im wondering how EXACTLY the gears are shifted on the BFM..i mean , is the manual cluth is used even with a sequential gearbox ? maybe for up shifting only ? does anyne know how it is in real life ..

thx in advance !

You dont use manual clutch, only when putting it into 1st from neutral.
IIRC, to upshift you must hold the sequential stick in place (pull it back), then you must lift off the throttle a little bit for a split second. The gear will change the fairly rapidly
Quote from niall09 :You dont use manual clutch, only when putting it into 1st from neutral.
IIRC, to upshift you must hold the sequential stick in place (pull it back), then you must lift off the throttle a little bit for a split second. The gear will change the fairly rapidly

ok , is this how it's done in real life with this car ?
Quote from silent_wind :ok , is this how it's done in real life with this car ?

Well thats what Scawen said when he drove it
Quote from silent_wind :ok , is this how it's done in real life with this car ?

The same way as just about any other sequential transmission.
#7 - JeffR
Except for computerized "no-lift" sequential shifters, and some newer design sequential shift transmissions (like zeroshift), a conventional clutch is present on a "classic" type sequential shift transmission, but from what I read, it's common to not use the clutch on shifts when racing, except for endurance events.
So far I know BMW teaches their drivers to use the clutch when shifting with this car. Although it's not needed, it's still one of the basic racing techniques a driver has to learn, and it's the beginner class

Apart from that, clutch needed for the first gear (which is sadly not simulated in lfs yet) and for downshifting when it's wet...
Quote from three_jump :....
Apart from that, clutch needed for the first gear (which is sadly not simulated in lfs yet) and for downshifting when it's wet...

I can't shift into 1st gear without clutch.
Quote from Moonclaw :Sadly you have autoclutch on.

I stand corrected...

I only looked in the controls screen when setting the pedals up... but it seems that there are options under "driver" as well...

Btw: Is there a reason for having gear shift mode in "controls" and "driver"?
Maybe because its accessed easier?
#14 - wien
Quote from three_jump :Btw: Is there a reason for having gear shift mode in "controls" and "driver"?

I think it's because using auto-clutch is more of a player preference than something dictated by the controller and as such the setting is stored with the player profile inside LFS. Useful if you have several people using the same computer for example.
I have found its quicker to use the clutch in some cases, such as accelerating up a hill. I find I have to lift off too much before the next gear up kicks in, so I just dab the clutch to give it a helping hand

other than that I don't clutch while racing in this car

Manual clutch on the FBM
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG