The online racing simulator
How Do I Get The Siren To Work
(79 posts, started )
I've been meaning to say this for months, but I never got around to it...

Racers complain that cruise servers are always full, and that that takes people away from racing servers...Um, doesn't this support the fact that cruise servers are more fun, more popular and generally better? People aren't forced to join the cruise servers, they go there by choice. If more people choose to go there, that, to me, means its better...
Take this for an example:

"Oh look, more people live in America than my country, let's go flame them..."

That is the exact mentality of racers who flame cruise servers for being more popular...

I'm not basing this on any argument in THIS thread per se, but this idea has been thrashed around more than once...
#52 - JTbo
Typically it is like this:
Quote :I go to cruise server as there is no racing available

At cruise servers there seem always be some people chatting, unlike at race servers people race and don't spent time chatting so this is also reason why those get empty.

So you think I'm completely against cruising and can't accept it at all, right?

Well think so, reality might be different, but as it seems that you are not even willing to find out any truth but just thinking your own view can be only truth as it is based to 'facts' it is fairly impossible to discuss this without spending hours and hours again with it, simply it is not worth it.
Btw, you as in general you, not specific you.
Quote from dougie-lampkin :
Um, doesn't this support the fact that cruise servers are more fun, more popular and generally better?

More popular, okay, it may be. More fun, it depends. Fun is a personal thing. "Better", not for me, not for racers. That's personal too.
So the answer for me is no, they are not better, and they're not worse. Are Ferrari cars worse than Fiat because they have a smaller market? No.

Edit: JTbo, that doesn't make sense... People do what they want. It's their right to do so unless stated otherwise. If I should do some reasoning like you do I should take a rifle and kill anyone who didn't listen to Pernaiachi's "Ora". I may be serious about music, but that doesn't mean that I'll cry about it, even if their market kills mine. I have no right to order them how to use their ears and CD players. And no, I don't poke fun at them, especially in a tech assistance subforum where people come to be assisted.

Re-Edit: as for killing someone with a rifle, well, I'm not implying in ANY way that JTbo would do such a thing for LFS... just to be clear. Or that racers drive Ferrari and cruisers drive Fiat
Quote from JTbo :So you think I'm completely against cruising and can't accept it at all, right?

Quote from dougie-lampkin :I'm not basing this on any argument in THIS thread

erm...no?

Quote from JTbo :Well think so, reality might be different, but as it seems that you are not even willing to find out any truth but just thinking your own view can be only truth as it is based to 'facts' it is fairly impossible to discuss this without spending hours and hours again with it, simply it is not worth it.

It IS a statistic that cruise servers are more popular. If you consider that there is maybe 8 cruise servers in all of LFS. There is 473 hosts running as I speak...8 out of 473 regualrly attract about half-full servers. Right now, these are the ammount of connections in each cruise server:

CLC - 21 / 32
LTC1 - 14 / 31
LTC2 - 26 / 31
NPC - 2 / 47 (They're new...)
TCJ - 2 / 26
TCK - 9 / 30
TCm - 31/32
J4F - 20 / 47

Compare that to the amount of Racing servers that can regularly attract those numbers...apart from CTRA, I'd say none
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Racers complain that cruise servers are always full, and that that takes people away from racing servers...Um, doesn't this support the fact that cruise servers are more fun, more popular and generally better?

Look around the server list and you'll find some of the most popular race servers have been running the same combo every night for the last two years - does this mean that those servers are better? Or those combos are better?

Personally I think it's that most people are scared of losing, so they either race the same race every night because that's the only combo they can keep up on, or they opt out completely and drive around aimlessly on cruise servers. To be honest I wonder why the latter types even bothered buying LFS in the first place if they're not interested in racing.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Personally I think it's that most people are scared of losing

That's the kind of loser talk I mentioned in my first post
#57 - JTbo
And reason for that is what I posted bit above, haven't found anyone say that he goes to cruising servers from any other reason than what I quoted above, maybe there are those too, maybe there are those that never had chance to learn racing in first place as first popular server was cruise, it is easy to get into and one don't need to try so hard so of course young individual uses that instead of trying bit harder to get average speed racer.

Maybe in future we see situation corrected when people first find racing and then cruising, at least then bad habits are not taken first and perhaps also we see bit of drop in number of cruisers too when actually there is always racing available.

At certain time I found bit over 55% racing, 30% cruisers and 15% drifters, varies a lot what time it is, maybe by date too.

It would be best if people would learn to race and only after that could visit cruise servers to see if that is their cup of tea, then at least they would have ability to evaluate what really is what they like and not just go with easy option.
Quote from dougie-lampkin :That's the kind of loser talk I mentioned in my first post

Well, with close to 1000 different combos available, and at most a dozen different combos actually being used regularly, what conclusion would you draw? That all the other combos aren't as good?

I suppose it's a coincidence that the most popular cars on race servers have got slick tyres and wings, and hardly anybody ever drives the LRFs. It wouldn't have anything to do with the latter requiring some actual effort, then?

People are lazy, and/or scared of being slow, and/or not interested in motorsport at all. And for the cruise server regulars: They're the sort of mental midgets that get excited about watching progress bars get longer in MMO games.
I do both

Cruise servers at night, when racing becomes boring...

Racing during the day, when servers are nearly full

But I still prefer cruise, it's more fun for me and a lot of other people...I think that's the main reason, not that people can't race...Then again, maybe some people just gave up...
Quote from thisnameistaken :or they opt out completely and drive around aimlessly on cruise servers.

Sorry, but I really don't see how driving on a cruise server is any more aimless than driving around on a race server?

Is "Ooh, I won a race" not the same as "Ooh, I got the FZR!"? Racing is just as fun as crusing for most people, and I don't see how chasing people around a track is any more aimless than driving around a track with other people...

Quote from thisnameistaken :Well, with close to 1000 different combos available, and at most a dozen different combos actually being used regularly

When have you ever seen 1000 different combinations? It's almost always GTR's/Single Seaters at Aston/Westhill.

Quote from thisnameistaken : I suppose it's a coincidence that the most popular cars on race servers have got slick tyres and wings, and hardly anybody ever drives the LRFs. It wouldn't have anything to do with the latter requiring some actual effort, then?

What are you saying, racers are lazy, and don't bother to use any effort?

Quote from thisnameistaken :And for the cruise server regulars: They're the sort of mental midgets that get excited about watching progress bars get longer in MMO games.

And how is something like CTRA not the same? Watching your license bar go up...
Quote from thisnameistaken :They're the sort of mental midgets that get excited about watching progress bars get longer in MMO games.

And what are racers, mental midgets who get excited about running on a track just to try to see their e-penis enlarged?

You can dismiss anything you dislike reasoning like that. Let's be fair and avoid attacking people because of their tastes. I've left most of the communities I belonged to because of this ghetto mentality: I only saw mental midgets who were worried about what other people did instead of concentrating individually on what they like to do.
The really important question now is, did Brookaovhaydock get his siren working ?
#63 - JTbo
Quote from Callous Hooper :The really important question now is, did Brookaovhaydock get his siren working ?

He should have as he got all instructions how to do it, maybe he should post to tell how it went
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Is "Ooh, I won a race" not the same as "Ooh, I got the FZR!"?

You've already got the FZR. You get it as soon as you unlock S2. Why drive around for hours on end to earn enough nerdbux to "buy" it when you've already got it and you can drive it anywhere you like?

Quote from dougie-lampkin :When have you ever seen 1000 different combinations? It's almost always GTR's/Single Seaters at Aston/Westhill.

Isn't that the point I already made?

Quote from dougie-lampkin : And how is something like CTRA not the same? Watching your license bar go up...

Yeah it is. But they also filter out people who have attitudes not conducive to racing, so it's still a good place to race. You don't have to be a drooling retard to get something out of it, even though they do provide a service for drooling retards. The "cruise" servers, on the other hand, only have the progress bar to offer, which is why they're always full of simpletons.
Quote from Albieg :And what are racers, mental midgets who get excited about running on a track just to try to see their e-penis enlarged?

I don't see how racing online does anything for your e-penis.

You're right in a way, though. Motor racing - ultimately - is merely a more sophisticated form of entertainment than progress bar racing. If someone can get excited about simple addition then they probably don't need motor racing.
Quote from thisnameistaken :You've already got the FZR. You get it as soon as you unlock S2. Why drive around for hours on end to earn enough nerdbux to "buy" it when you've already got it and you can drive it anywhere you like?

But it's the same principal...racers enjoy staring at a WR chart that is mainly filled with cheaters and haxors...cruisers enjoy driving around chatting to people, and purchasing new cars...I'm not knocking racers or cruisers, I'm just saying each to his own...

Quote from thisnameistaken :Isn't that the point I already made?

My point is that these 2 are pretty much (with very few exceptions) the only combos that are ever raced...

Quote from thisnameistaken :The "cruise" servers, on the other hand, only have the progress bar to offer, which is why they're always full of simpletons.

Erm...any stats to back that up, or are you just trying to flame cruisers? CTRA (at least the entry-level) is full of wreckers and people without proper driving manners...deny it if you will, but join CTRA Race 1 for an hour and you'll see...(BTW, I'm not flaming CTRA, it's just an example...) And what has CTRA to offer apart from the progress bar?
CTRA offers great racing, it offers a very good licence system which provides you an oppurtunity to race in the STCC.
It offers many good stats.

And its very competitive
Quote from dougie-lampkin :But it's the same principal...racers enjoy staring at a WR chart that is mainly filled with cheaters and haxors...

I don't think so. The quality of racing and racers is such that the above mentioned half-wits get busted and disposed of very soon.
So, the last, i dont know, 15 posts are helping this guy how?

Yes, i know this is off-topic :P People have there opinions, let them, i have said, and always will, Its their S2 license, if they want to cruise/race, let them, dont beat them down for doing something they enjoy to do.
Quote from RacerAsh3 :
People have there opinions, let them, i have said, and always will, Its their S2 license, if they want to cruise/race, let them, dont beat them down for doing something they enjoy to do.

Simple and clear, maybe a bit off-topic
Quote from RacerAsh3 :People have there opinions, let them, i have said, and always will, Its their S2 license, if they want to cruise/race, let them, dont beat them down for doing something they enjoy to do.

Should be printed on every S2 license
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Erm...any stats to back that up, or are you just trying to flame cruisers?

You almost tempted me to spend long enough in a "cruise" server to produce documentary evidence, but I don't think I want to. Anyway, I just don't understand why people pay for LFS just to drive around slowly in what is essentially a chat room.

There are better, dedicated chat rooms if a chat room is what you want. Wouldn't you find it bizarre if half the people who bought Counter-Strike used it to simulate hanging around in a mock-Persian marketplace just talking?

Quote from dougie-lampkin :CTRA (at least the entry-level) is full of wreckers and people without proper driving manners...deny it if you will, but join CTRA Race 1 for an hour and you'll see...

The whole point of their system is that anybody who learns to race properly doesn't have to go on the entry-level servers any more, and so (theoretically at least) they avoid all the aggro.

I don't think it's entirely successful myself, because they used the points as an incentive to bring in hordes of cretins and be "popular" rather than using them to actually filter people into appropriate groups for racing. It does work to a limited extent, but it could've worked better if they weren't so concerned with handing out carrots to everybody who connects.

When I do find time to race it's not usually on CTRA's servers anyway. There are other servers that I prefer racing on because they're actively administrated and run more interesting combos, but they tend to only be occupied during certain periods.
BTW : Yes he did get his horn working - i followed him and found him and he was very happy.
The CTRA progress bar is different from a progress bar on a cruise server because:

In a CRUISE server you make progress by driving round a track slowly - no skill involved apart from not crashing into on coming traffic.

In a RACE server (CTRA) you make progress by achieving good positions in races - you have to work hard to make progress. This does involve skill - such as avoiding 1st corner pile ups, overtaking in tight spaces, carrying good speed through corners, slip stream battles on the straights, creating fast setups, planning race strategies.
Quote from JO53PHS :In a RACE server (CTRA) you make progress by achieving good positions in races - you have to work hard to make progress. This does involve skill - such as avoiding 1st corner pile ups, overtaking in tight spaces, carrying good speed through corners, slip stream battles on the straights, creating fast setups, planning race strategies.

Which is generally the same as cruise servers...the faster and more skillful you drive, the quicker the "bar" (even though I haven't ever seen an actual bar lol) fills...

How Do I Get The Siren To Work
(79 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG