The online racing simulator
IS this LFS being arcade? Huge grids.
I´ve been away from online LFS for quite a time and I´m no hardcore racer, but I´ve been playing much offline for training.

It´s a nice idea having huge grids, but I rarely do have fun with it.
Now, trying to race on public servers in 4 races out of 5 I´m pushed from behind in corners, chicanes and even on straights!

I mostly start at top of the field, S1 comes and 5 idiots rush into me, getting through the first corner is like a lottery.

So what´s the difference between LFS and NFS? Getting constantly wrecked makes LFS being almost an arcade game, it´s not the driving it´s avoiding the wreckage!

People are so dumb, in a field of 20 cars I easily drive to the 5th place when I was bumped out starting 17th, because people slide off the track all the time. But that isn´t racing anymore.

People should be banned for bumping into a car in front 2x in a row.

So the only way of racing clean is to join almost empty servers.

I´m really pissed.
Quote from NikLaw : So what´s the difference between LFS and NFS? Getting constantly wrecked makes LFS being almost an arcade game, it´s not the driving it´s avoiding the wreckage!

this has absolutely NOTHING to do with LFS. It's the PEOPLE on the server causing the problems and in no way does t1 mayhem make this or any other game 'arcade-like'
The number is no problem, but one ****s can destroy the race for everyone else
LFS is way more realistic than NFS will ever be when you drag you dont sit there for 10 seconds warming up your tires just for a drag race... thats your problem is that you like arcade games way too much
It's not LFS... It's the servers you go on and the peoples yo race with...
I hear you, it's mad house these days on So Chicane and FBM, no matter what server. I think it's because a lot of new players joining S2 cause of the adition of the new BMW formula.. It's been like on the worst case scenario Demo servers...
The thing that pis*es me off mostly is people joining the race from the pits and they RACE you!? They don't obey blue flags, they are not getting out of the way and they are spinning on every corner causing people who are actually battling for position to either crash into them or to loose the position from the driver behind, there's nothing worse than that, to loose position that way... And not to mention people getting out of pitstop without looking and crashing into other people.. I had an awesome battle and guy wrecked our race joining the race full speed from the pit stop.. And what's worse it was the member of a very established LFS team and i won't call names but let's say the name of the team starts with "N" and it has 5 letters.. If the "pro's" can screw you that way, you can't expect anything better from the newbies, can you..
The biggest problem is that it sounds like you are driving in pick up races on busy servers. There is no commitment from some people in races like that. They wreck in turn 1 and start spamming for a restart. You just have to laugh at them and carry on. The race will most likely be a short one anyway.

There are two ways to avoid this.
1) Race in leagues. T1 incidents still happen, but it is more rare and there is usually a way to punish stupid behavior.
2) Join a good team that manages a server and get active. Police your own server and try to keep it as clean as you can.

This kind of crap happens in real racing too, especially pro racing. Just look at BTCC for one example. They are all short sprint races and getting as many spots on the start is critical. It leads to nasty things in the first few corners pretty regularly.
Yeah, that is the nature of public servers in almost any sim. It pisses me off to no end, but it is very important to try to be patient with people. There are always going to be some jerks who didn't get enough attention from their mothers growing up or whatever, but that is just the nature of the world.

It would be nice if you could somehow put some sort of age restriction on a server, but that would be unfair to younger people who are sensible and sportsmanlike of which there are quite a few, and besides, it's no gaurantee anyways.

In general, casual leagues are the way to go. I'm not familiar with the LFS league scene yet, and I don't have the time to commit to a serious league, but there are almost certainly some good ones out there. Racing, or indeed any multiplayer game, is orders of magnitude more fun when you're familiar with the people on the server- it also makes it a lot easier to deal with trouble-makers.

Whenever someone is being a jerk, just remember the 'angry German kid' video and know that your life is considreably better than their's simply because you are properly adjusted to society. Even very experienced racers screw up from time to time though, so there's no sense in flying off the handle- that always makes things worse.

Love,
Aero
Quote from Boris Lozac :i won't call names but let's say the name of the team starts with "N" and it has 5 letters..

#10 - th84
Quote :i won't call names but let's say the name of the team starts with "N" and it has 5 letters..

Yea, those NASSA guys really piss me off too. :P
Quote from zeugnimod :

Well, nvm the team name, I don't mind being wrecked in a battle or even in T1, but to be wrecked by a speeding mid-race joiner from the pits, that's worrying..
Dodgems is the new LFS :bananadea
Quote from Boris Lozac :Well, nvm the team name, I don't mind being wrecked in a battle or even in T1, but to be wrecked by a speeding mid-race joiner from the pits, that's worrying..

I agree. I haven't seen the incident but this can happen to everyone once in a while. Still no reason to name and shame, though. Probably almost everyone who read that knew what team you meant (except th ).
You just have to accept that at least 1 in 5 people on the server will be new, and another 2 in 5 will be total ****wits who've never learned to race properly. If you want to race with less random morons turning the first lap into a lottery, join a league.
you have to remeber that the people your racing against aren't exactly Speed Channel coverage worthy. Don't expect everyone to be Pro race drivers. That or just avoid the servers with more than 10 people in them unless the track is Kyoto Nat where you have plenty of room to dodge to the side.
Quote from zeugnimod :Still no reason to name and shame, though. Probably almost everyone who read that knew what team you meant (except th ).

Sorry, yea, shouldn't done that..
#17 - th84
Quote from zeugnimod : Probably almost everyone who read that knew what team you meant (except th ).

He said "pros", which couldnt be us.
:doh:
How are big grids making it arcade like?? If your being pushed near the back on straight and corners you need to speed up mate if you don't like it and put more time on that combo. When my dad races there is always a full grid of cars, sometimes so many they have to have 2 races 1 for class A and 1 for B&C one race is over 40 cars.

IMO it makes the race more intresting, i usally go on the server that has most cars to make overtaking alot more fun and theres more of it.
#20 - col
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :How are big grids making it arcade like?? If your being pushed near the back on straight and corners you need to speed up mate if you don't like it and put more time on that combo. When my dad races there is always a full grid of cars, sometimes so many they have to have 2 races 1 for class A and 1 for B&C one race is over 40 cars.

Thats a pretty simplistic response

What often happens is that an experienced fast racer in mid pack at T1 will slow a little to avoid an incident in front of them, while the fools and noobs behind him would rather keep going at full tilt and take pot luck on whether they get through... so the guy who eases off to avoid an accident gets rammed by the *******...
It happens to someone at every T1 on busy servers.
You often see experienced racers join, run a few races, and if they haven't been lucky enough to get a grid spot near the front row by then, they will leave as it gets too frustrating.

One thing I've been noticing more recently is that even if you do get to the front, the level of sportsmanship seems to have dropped a lot - I kept getting shouldered off the track while making fair passes on front runners... that is a much worse problem if it is becoming the standard - I've had more positive experiences on demo servers than on S2 servers recently... sure you get annoying wreckers, but at least the fast guys at the front will race fair !

Maybe this is nothing new and just a symptom of me using non-CTRA servers more since the patch ?
Maybe its just folks not being used to the reduced visibility of the FBM ?

Col
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :If your being pushed near the back on straight and corners you need to speed up mate if you don't like it and put more time on that combo.

So by your logic, everybody who can drive faster than the car infront should just push them off the road? I'm glad I've never raced you.
LAG will do that too. I was racing a different game earlier and the server was in Argentina. We were doing a rolling start around the track. We were going no more than 40 MPH and half the field didn't make it around the track to even start the race, including me since I kept getting rear-ended.
Quote from Sueycide_FD :you have to remeber that the people your racing against aren't exactly Speed Channel coverage worthy.

Do you even watch the SPEED Channel? Pinks, Forza Motorsport Showdown, Launch Hour...

..They're all a bunch of morons, and they're still there.

I miss Speedvision
#24 - JTbo
LFS was bit too arcade from beginning of S2 to patch X and that perhaps did lure wrong material to game which has infected many with me me first illness.

That can be seen also from race lengths, 5 lap seems to be maximum on blackwood sized track, tires won't get warm in that, yet how do you actually have race and fight from positions, this leads also to T1 madness.

Hopefully this will be fixed to pre S2 levels when we get better damage and collision model, then those that don't respect other cars and their own, will see end of fun and probably quit as their brute force tactics won't do any good anymore
Quote from thisnameistaken :So by your logic, everybody who can drive faster than the car infront should just push them off the road? I'm glad I've never raced you.

No im not saying that, i didn't have much time to write the post so missed details.

What im saying is, if hes being pushed all around the track,from what ive read he didn't say they're pushing him off, just up his arse all the time, if he doesn't like people being up his arse then speed up ffs, if your new to a combo your obviously going to be pushed around the track with the fast racers trying to get past, thats racing. Have you never watched a real race where people push people round a track?

So in no way is it arcade like.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG