The online racing simulator
Locked Keys in Car
(59 posts, started )
Locked Keys in Car
My mom has an 02? Mitsubishi Lancer, and managed to lock her keys in her car today at work. I told her to call the police and that they'd help, but apparently they don't do that anymore (according to a security guard where she works.) Does anyone have any other ideas about how to get into the car? She gets off of work in a few hours and we really don't want to spend the money for a towing company or something, since MY car broke and was fixed today (knock sensor) AND my brother's car just went into the shop with the brakes only working on one wheel. This just after the holidays.

Anyone ever broken into a Lancer without breaking anything before? Lol.
Spare key?
"If in doubt....give it a clout.. ....the bigger the doubt, the bigger the clout"

Im sure your not in doubt, so just give the window clout!
#4 - Rish
Call here a taxi, dont literally call her a taxi but you know what i mean!
Just call a lock smith, should be able to handle the deal. Otherwise find the spare key, you should have one.
And as a last resort, you could always smash the window..

Let's get into the dark side of the internet and find out how to break into a car

Here we go: http://www.instructables.com/id/S5CG76GF2NOBRN1/
That's a simple method, guess everyone knows that. And somebody replied:
Quote :If you make the "wedge" from a polycarbonate cutting board, it will not scratch the paint when used. (Wal-Mart sells polycarbonate cutting boards)

Once I get the door spread at the top a bit, If It needs to be spread further, I slide an open blood preasure cuff into the crack created by the wedge, then pump it up to spread the door a bit further.

I always carry two wires in my car, one is an old car antenna that is long and thin, made of spring steel. The other is a long piece of stainless steel wire.

It has been my experience that most car alarms these days will still go off when the door is opened providing they are armed in the first place. However, I don't really worry about the alarm.
...FYI I'm a cop and get asked alot to open car doors for some poor soul locked out.

You can try this out too: http://techpuddle.com/miscella ... sing-a-tennis-ball-video/
#6 - Rish
And if it doesn't work, just enjoy the blondie in the tennis ball video
Quote from Rish :Call here a taxi, dont literally call her a taxi but you know what i mean!

"Hi hunni, I locked my keys in my car"

"You f*cking taxi!!"

Try and yank on the top of the door, bend it very slightly and get some stiff wire down there to open the door. I've done it a few times, just try not to bend the door too much so its not permanent.
Just get a wire coat hanger, take away the window trim at the bottom of the drivers door or passenger door and hook it on the door handle mechanism inside the door and just get the right part and just pull up and the door will open, or if the door handles inside the car go in when the cars locks like fords, hook the hook on the wire coat hanger on the door handles inside the car and pull it out and it will unlock, oh I forgot to say how to get the wire coat hanger inside the car, you get it in by putting it through the gap in top of the car, if the gap is big enough, if you get work out how to do any of these two methods, find someone with a slider bar or just pop the window.
Quote from Rooble :Try and yank on the top of the door, bend it very slightly and get some stiff wire down there to open the door. I've done it a few times, just try not to bend the door too much so its not permanent.

Don't need to hank it really to bend it, in some cases you do some you don't, but true most of the time you have to.
Like ford.. The newer generations of ford (from 2000) have double locking, and you can't open the locks from the inside anymore.

Isn't she home already? Is it solved?
I'd be careful trying, a friend of mine popped the window accidently on his old 406 by trying to slide a coat hanger in the top of the door frame, bit too much stress on the window i guess.

I locked my keys inside my 106 a few months back, I just took the outside window trim off as Sam93 describes, and used a peice of fairly thick cardboard to slide the pin up. Surfice to say after finding out how easy it is, the cars kept in the garage now
Quote from sgt.flippy :Like ford.. The newer generations of ford (from 2000) have double locking, and you can't open the locks from the inside anymore.

Isn't she home already? Is it solved?

Forgot to mention that, lol
Quote from Rtsbasic :I'd be careful trying, a friend of mine popped the window accidently on his old 406 by trying to slide a coat hanger in the top of the door frame, bit too much stress on the window i guess.

I locked my keys inside my 106 a few months back, I just took the outside window trim off as Sam93 describes, and used a peice of fairly thick cardboard to slide the pin up. Surfice to say after finding out how easy it is, the cars kept in the garage now

The window could have had a small crack in it what could of talk some of the strengthening out of the window or he was putting to much strain on the window, you only have to slip it in and just twist the hanger around to get it hooked onto the door handle, or if it isn't bent in enough, just take it out again and re bend the wire until you get it all right so it can hook on to the door handle
You seem to know an aweful lot about this Sam...
I did this once but fortunately there was a Black Power gang member in the carpark so I asked him if he could help. He had it open in 30 sec.
Always ask an expert !!!
Get a saw, and cut the roof off. Then, not only will you be able to get into the car, but you will also have upgraded to a convertible!
Quote from wheel4hummer :Get a saw, and cut the roof off. Then, not only will you be able to get into the car, but you will also have upgraded to a convertible!

Not quite a convertible, as the roof would permanently be off then.
Quote from beefyman666 :Not quite a convertible, as the roof would permanently be off then.

So what? Real men drive with the roof down even in rain or snow.
Smashing window should be the cheapest option. I wouldn't even consdier trying to bend the door to try and get a wire in because a new door isn't cheap and I doubt it would work. Alternatively you could drill the door lock but you need to know what you're doing and the chances are high you'd have to replace the entire door anyway. Unfortunatley breaking into a car is childs play compared to breaking into a car doing as little damage as possible. I suppose a last option would be to see if you could get a windscreen fitter to remove the windscreen just using suction pads that are used for lowering the windscreen (a windscreen is usually removed with a firm constant and slow force from the inside the car).
Quote from ajp71 :Smashing window should be the cheapest option.

Christ, you've gotta be kidding me.

Do not take this advice.

A locksmith will take less than 30 seconds to whip out his Slim Jim and unlock your door. It'll cost you $40-60, but that is much cheaper and more sensible than breaking a window.
Thanks for all the help guys. Actually, we didn't have to resort to that. My dad called some locksmiths, but none of them would even give an estimate before they got to "the scene" which is complete bullshit. So my dad called AAA and told them that, and the lady was really nice and said that since she was getting off work, and was nearby, she'd come by and show the locksmith HER card - so we got it done for free!

Now I know though, If I ever need to do anything illegal, I'll seek advice here first :P

What a crazy week. My brother's car's brakes are bad, so we turn around and go back home to take my car - which pretty much craps out at the end of the road with the check engine light on (bad knock sensor.) The next day we spend $250 to fix mine, and another $300 to fix my brother's. Same day my mom locks her keys in HER car. On top of that, my dorm roommate from college calls me today as well just to tell me that he just spent $600 on a new alternator, and how he'll need to spend another $2 grand soon on some new part in the front because it's crapping out.

All this expensive stuff ALWAYS happens right after the already expensive holidays, lol.

Locked Keys in Car
(59 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG