The online racing simulator
Throttle Blip, Throttle Cut: How much?
Hi
I've played patch X briefly and now I'm trying out patch Y. I find it really exciting! I'm not familiar with throttle blipping and cutting so just want to know.

When you blip, how much throttle do you apply? Currently I'm aiming at 1/4 to 1/3 of full throttle. Or are there other variables we have to consider? I've seen some people blipping with nearly full throttle... I guess that's a bit exaggerated?

Again, when you cut, how much? I'm also aiming at 1/4 to 1/3 of full throttle. But I kind of feel that it depends on the car. I don't have to cut so much for FBM but I have to cut more for XFG and XRG. Or there are other variables to consider?
#2 - Goop
The idea behind throttle blipping is to get the engine up to speed with the lower gear you have selected.

As long as you're not compression-locking or accidentally unsettling the car, I don't think there's too much to worry about. I'd be more inclined to blip too much rather than too little.
It's not a certian amount of throttle its how much is needed at what ever rpms you are at.

that is something you have to learn form experience noone can really tell you.

Too much throttle can ruin your break zone causing to gain distance rather than loose it. SO I'd much rather blip too little, you can really notice if you do it in your car (if its manual). if you dont have one then best of luck.
Your blipping is ok.

Cutting should be more, well not in FBM and MRT, there you cut only 1/4, but in XRG and XFG and other H shifter cars, you have to cut 2/3 or even 3/4 so you don't get clutch temperature rise. You can do some strategie, like when you have 20 laps, first 10 laps you cut only 1/3 throttle and in last 10 you cut 2/3 so clutch won't go red, and nail it with no cutting last lap
Really all depends on race length. Testing always helps

edit: lol you are demo racer
blipping aint really that good idea in FBM then
Actually, the only variable you should consider is aiming for 0 clutch slip when you release the clutch. It is very obvious when you're in a real car, because when the clutch is lifted with slip you will feel a sudden acceleration/deceleration.

Generally, the factors that make you blip (lift) more:
a) you're shifting at a higher rpm
b) the two gear ratios are farther apart
c) it takes you longer (shorter) to move an h-shifter
In RL like they said you need to match the RPMs pretty close, and if you let the clutch out fast with out doing so you can feel it pretty good.

The game is pretty forgiving though, Id imagine part of it being me not being fast enough for it to be critical but as long as you just give the throttle a good tap your usually fine.
blippy-lifting
In my experience lifting and blipping to match the revs is actually very easy- it just sounds kind of scary. Of course, it does take some practice, but you'll just feel it when you've done it right. Almost anything will do. It's not so much the amount as it is the timing and rhythm. As long as the engine doesn't zing on up-shifts and you don't knock the rear wheels loose on down-shifts you're fine. Once you've got that down you can refine it a little but it probably has only a very small effect on lap times.

It may be a little more important to get blipping just right if you're using the auto-clutch. I'm not really sure how and when it decides to dis/re-engage the clutch.

Somewhat unrelated:

I've found in the FBMW that you can up-shift as described by the real engineer as his 'preferred' method (in another thread somewhere) by just keeping the throttle floored and giving the clutch a tap as you shift. Pretty cool. It probably doesn't gain you anything, but seems to work fine- doesn't raise the clutch temp any more than lifting normally (meaning not at all really). Still, in that car, I find it easier to just not use the clutch at all except accelerating from a standstill and corners requiring heavy braking for the sake of simplicity.

Love,
Aero
Quote from RedCoupe :In RL like they said you need to match the RPMs pretty close, and if you let the clutch out fast with out doing so you can feel it pretty good.

The game is pretty forgiving though, Id imagine part of it being me not being fast enough for it to be critical but as long as you just give the throttle a good tap your usually fine.

Actually its just the same in LFS and IRL, you just don't notice the jerk because the Gs are not simulated(unless you have a 301 forcedynamics).

If you turn the forward 1G movement all the way up you will notice if you have done it correctly, but who wants to do that?
Quote from AeroMechanical :
I've found in the FBMW that you can up-shift as described by the real engineer as his 'preferred' method (in another thread somewhere) by just keeping the throttle floored and giving the clutch a tap as you shift. Pretty cool. It probably doesn't gain you anything, but seems to work fine- doesn't raise the clutch temp any more than lifting normally (meaning not at all really). Still, in that car, I find it easier to just not use the clutch at all except accelerating from a standstill and corners requiring heavy braking for the sake of simplicity.

Love,
Aero

I've read some "user's manual" from a sequential gearbox manufacturer. They recommend, in upshifts, to "gently" pull on the stick while flooring throttle, then lift it for a split second when you want to shift. When the gears get unloaded the stick should move and change into next gear automatically. Else just pull on the stick and rev up to the limiter...

I find it works fine in the FBM, although it feels a bit weird to have stick movement out-of-time with the actual change.
Quote from yoyoML :
I find it works fine in the FBM, although it feels a bit weird to have stick movement out-of-time with the actual change.

I've found that's actually the best way to think about it(for me, anyways): you're just selecting which gear you want with the shifter and then initiating the actual change with the pedal.

Love,
Aero

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG