The online racing simulator
Name stealing / fake servers ...
(15 posts, closed, started )
I'm not sure if this is the right section to rant or not, but anyway ...

Somebody has put up a server using the Silly Project name.
Same colours, same layout, etc ...

Obviously I'm complaining because this isn't one of my servers.

All the informations about it is here ...

http://www.sillyproject.com/fo ... wtopic.php?f=42&t=656

Is there anything that can be done about people name stealing / puttin up fake servers ?
Quote from DanielC :Is there anything that can be done about people name stealing / puttin up fake servers ?

No.
Like teams within LFS or other games, there is nothing wrong with having the same initials or names as others. Perhaps this person who put up this "fake" server liked the name of your servers so much they decided to copy it to try and attract attention to their server.

Some of your comments on your forums disturb me slightly..

You say "Silly Project and SPTR" are taken names... where? where are they registered? A domain name is on its own not enough normally to claim names are "taken".

Its great to see your project looking strong, but with so many servers, surely you have to expect some negative attention too.

Are all the servers you have used? or are some of them sitting empty for more of the day? As the LFS Server market is way overcrowded already

Good Luck.
It's true that the names are not officially documentend on government files, but that's not the point. Nothings to stop me registerning those names as non profit organisation or company and then have every right to them, for all you know I could very well have. I havn't, but I'm just trying to make the point that I could have.

I claim the names are taken, because we do have the domain names, the forum (and site to come), all the LFS servers and the mirror, and many other projects that have nothing to do with LFS but use the Silly Project name. Also, the SPTR team name is registered in LFS world, surely that gives some claim to it. Whilst Silly Project and SPTR mind their own business as a general thing, most people have heard of it, even if it's only seeing the name in the servers list before you click on a different server, and we've been around for a while now as well.

Surely you'd forgive anybody for getting annoyed at somebody copying what they're doing. It can be said that if somebody is copying you, take it as a compliment as you're obviously doing something right from them to bother. Having said that, if the server is not up to the same level as the real ones, it can reflect very badly. I'm not spouting off how great my servers are, very far from it, again, it's just another point.

The server in question is offline now anyway, but that doesn't mean the question/matter is dead. It could happen to anybody, anytime. I'm sure you'd be annoyed if you couldn't get your server online because somebody else was using the name. I can't see why people wouldn't want their own identity, and make their own name and reputation for what they're doing. Leeching off others just makes you look an idiot, in my opinion.

Anyway, I'm going on a bit ...
Quote from DanielC :It could happen to anybody, anytime. I'm sure you'd be annoyed if you couldn't get your server online because somebody else was using the name.

It's happened before, and undoubtedly will happen again. The long and short of it is that whilst there is no way to "register" or reserve your server name, unless it's an untasteful name, the developers will not remove it or shut it down.
I never did expect the developers to do anything, they have enough to do as it is ...

I was just looking for somewhere to whinge ...
Quote :It's true that the names are not officially documentend on government files, but that's not the point. Nothings to stop me registerning those names as non profit organisation or company and then have every right to them, for all you know I could very well have. I havn't, but I'm just trying to make the point that I could have.

I understood the point that you could have, and if my memory serves me correctly, then you have over 50 servers. I would think about registering the "sillyproject" as a non profit org or company, because otherwise, its just two words stuck together, and im sure they are already "owned" in there own right.

For all I know, yes you could have made a registration, but there are also ways to check, so for all you know, I did.

Go ahead and have a whine, its a topic that interests me, which is why I posted.
Just kill them like you said you would...
Quote from The General Lee :Just kill them like you said you would...

Ah now, lets me fair. It was the sideways guy who said that , which brings me back to age!
That was me haha, I kill people for a living so its all good!!! haha jkjk but Yea i think this guy should pay somehow!!! how i havnt seen yet!!
Don't kill me please...

*Makes pathetic "aaaah" noise.*
Haha ill make it short and sweet!! But back to topic If any mods have read this thread is there a way for players to punish this guy?! or anyone that would know!
Greg, will you just shut up for a change ...

You're not funny, you're not helping, you're just sounding like the kid that you are ...

I have nothing more to say, so if nobody else does, could this topic be locked please? Thanks.
Yes sir!!
This thread is closed

(15 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG