(253 posts, started )
Alchohol is too strong

BUT the women are beutifull
Quote from 11SuLLy11 :Alchohol is too strong

BUT the women are beutifull

i have a suspicion those 2 might be related in some way
Quote from Shotglass :i have a suspicion those 2 might be related in some way

The more you drink the more beutifull they look
how do you prepare yourself for the known finnish gloominess?
Quote from kompa :how do you prepare yourself for the known finnish gloominess?

Is this a fact or an urban myth? Y'know, one of those national stereotypes that have a grain of truth but are generally untrue. Scotsmen are tight, Welsh can sing, Irish fight, English can play football etc. etc.
A Finnish man usually seems more or less emotion-dead on the outside. At least my Russian girlfriend and her mum are often amused by their boyfriends' 'typical Finnish sullen behaviour' I feel generally very happy at most times, but instead of smiling and jumping home from a shop like a Little Red RidingHood in the woods, by default my face is like I'd be in a funeral and I rarely start a conversation unless I really have something to say.
Quote from Doorman :Is this a fact or an urban myth?

kerava, huh? i'm sure they'll welcome the two of you with a few grins it's nothing a few guys from tampere can't handle though

man i'm drunk...one of the moderarotors already warned me!
Quote from Doorman :Given that there are many Finns on these forums I thought I'd ask the question. What is, in your opinion, the worst thing about living in Finland?
You see, my wife (she's a Finn but hasn't lived there for 40 odd years!) and I are going to retire to Finland in the near future and although we've visited many times you never get to REALLY know a country until you've lived there for quite some time.
I know about the weather: Winter is the best time for snow imo
I know about the difficult language: I know quite a bit of Finnish and expect to get better at it. But at a push many Finns speak English to a higher standard than many Englishmen!
What else?

Worst thing about Finland, is that you have to go to Sweden to buy Snus
Quote from Doorman :In Jyväskylä maybe, but in Helsinki it's amazing how many people speak English. I got a parking ticket in Helsinki and phone the given number to find out what I must do to pay the fine. I asked the girl if she spoke English 'Of course' she replied. Oh yes, I got away with the fine as well. Viva Suomi

Doorman, i can give you the ALT - numerical commands for some orthadox Finnish/swedish characters

Alt + 0246 = ö
Alt + 0228 = ä
Quote from frokki :by default my face is like I'd be in a funeral and I rarely start a conversation unless I really have something to say.

Huh. Apparently I'm Finnish. I hate people babbling on and on without actually saying anything. Just shut up and let me have some piece and quiet instead.
Yep no chitchatting, I can perfectly well sit in room 8 hours without saying a thing, even there would be 10 people, if there is nothing to say, then why bother? But usually when I say something my face is then like and others soon are
"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools because they have to say something - Plato"
Quote from frokki :A Finnish man usually seems more or less emotion-dead on the outside. At least my Russian girlfriend and her mum are often amused by their boyfriends' 'typical Finnish sullen behaviour' I feel generally very happy at most times, but instead of smiling and jumping home from a shop like a Little Red RidingHood in the woods, by default my face is like I'd be in a funeral and I rarely start a conversation unless I really have something to say.

Seems like I'd fit in quite well over there
My bottle of wine says you're all weird. But then I'm weird so I'll fit in just fine. As far as the humour goes, it's on a par with my own. Trouble with that is it doesn't work in print! Let's go and have a beer somewhere.
sure
Quote from Yaamboo :Yes, you would need to learn Finnish,

No, you wouldn't! Two official languages, although it's hard to find a finn who actually speaks swedish properly.
Quote from hyntty :No, you wouldn't! Two official languages, although it's hard to find a finn who actually speaks swedish properly.

Western Lapland is best place to start, then of course south west part of country, elsewhere it is also hard to find finn willing to speak swedish
Ok, what I meant was that you can manage by speaking English, but you can be despised at some occasions when not speaking Finnish. Which means that it's good to learn it. :P
Quote from Yaamboo :Ok, what I meant was that you can manage by speaking English, but you can be despised at some occasions when not speaking Finnish. Which means that it's good to learn it. :P

Golden rule: If you're going to live in a country it's only polite to learn it's language. Very minimum, give it your best shot. It'll be appreciated.
There are people in UK that would do well to obey that rule.
Quote from Doorman :Golden rule: If you're going to live in a country it's only polite to learn it's language. Very minimum, give it your best shot. It'll be appreciated.
There are people in UK that would do well to obey that rule.

Real English people from England? :eye-poppi
English people can't grasp the concept of learning another language and USING it, take school, i was the only one who was interested and took it seriously. I didn't care if the other kids thought my perfect accent sounded funny.

Sure a few exceptions, but in most cases, these are just the people that LIVE in another country and learnt the language eventually, or want to move somewhere else and are willing to put in the hard graft.

Languages are hard, especially Finnish, because there is very few Finnish words that look like Latin.
Quote from Doorman :My bottle of wine says you're all weird. But then I'm weird so I'll fit in just fine. As far as the humour goes, it's on a par with my own. Trouble with that is it doesn't work in print! Let's go and have a beer somewhere.

Your treat?
I'm in!
Doorman, if someone is being stupid and you want them to play LFS right away, you must say : Tuu pelaa Hinttari, but don't use this on your wife, she will think it's very strange :P
Can't think why I would want someone who is not only stupid but also a w... , what he said, to come and play LFS. Thanks, but I'll leave that one out of my collection of Finnish phrases.

Worse thing about Finland?
(253 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG