The online racing simulator
Not this again :doh:
Why does people even make a new topic about this thing when they see that there allready is 10 others of them.

+1 to remove demo rights to write on the forum.
#27 - JJ72
I fail to see why LFS is "too difficult", I mean people who can't handle LFS will go play GT5, if they are really keen about learning how to drive, they will improve and someday they will be good enough for LFS (and being a really crappy driver myself I don't really understand how LFS is too difficult, I mean cars like the FBM and XFG are pretty straight forward)

Dumbing down LFS might attraction some instant sales, but among those people, how much of them will be really keen pupils, who seek constant improvement and rather than just feeling comfy that they are playing a "sim"? I think people who contributes to LFS and people who make this community great are those who are willing, revenue has never been a problem with LFS so there's no need to open up just for more income. Lets keep LFS as something you have to work hard to appreciate.

If people become so lazy in our fast food culture that actually learning to play a game become an alienative idea, than may LFS be the last game to bow down.
#28 - joen
Hate to break it to you but it seems LFS is just not the game for you. You already struggle with setups and clutch handling. These are integral parts of racing. It will only get worse for you because more changes are bound to come to LFS in the future that will only make it harder on you.
Ummmm, all you arcade wannabe's, heads up, but just to let you know, LFS is heading in the same direction it has been since day one of its inception. This is what LFS was created for. It hasn't wavered and has continued to improve. Sorry to say, but as more realistic features are added, it's gonna get more difficult to drive, just like it is in real life!
True
People need to adapt, thats just the way it is.
Probally in the future there will come a lot of things I and others don`t like too, but we just have to adapt to it.
Patch Y kb
I know this is going to open a can of worms but i have to ask why do people have a problem using the clutch with a keyboard on Patch Y? Furthermore if you have a problem with the clutch then turn the manual clutch off instead of coming on here and complaining like a bunch of idiots. By the way, I use a keyboard with the manual clutch and i have never burnt the clutch up. Its not that hard. I would love to have a G25 but that's not in the budget right now. I have actually used the keyboard and clutch since i joined on Patch W and at the time I wished it the cars would stall. Now we get it and all I have seen is complaining. Have you people tried driving the cars more realistically? Sure in a game you can do 7000rpm clutch dumps with no problem but IRL that could be load of damage. Personally I'm glad for the clutch heat because it proves that LFS is moving forward to a more realistic horizon and if some people don't like it and don't want to cope with changes then farewell we didn't need you to start with. By the way, I do know that the clutch isn't the best on a keyboard but that's a realistic step I couldn't go without using. Also sorry if this is already been said I'm just tired of seeing people complain about every little detail of a WORK IN PROGRESS game. Hence these little things called patches that people cry over.
Quote from Bodhidharmazen :I understand, the goal is REALISM.

Yet, the new patch should include two modes:

1) Simulation

2) Arcade

For hardcore fans, I guess, mode 1 its ok, they want to believe they are driving "the real thing".

Still, I play (PLAY) LFS because I like to drive and because I like to play. I have never liked that we have to struggle with setups, on top of that now tyres are useless and we have a clutch that forces us to be "gentle". the ARCADE mode would be as real as the SIM one, but it would not allow for setups, tyres and clutch would last forever and so we would only test our skills TO DRIVE, not to be a mechanic or to believe we are having more "realism".

Again, I like to test myself DRIVING, I like to compete with others to try my skills against theirs. THATS IT, if I want to race a car I would buy a gokart or maybe inscribe myself in a real league.

Sorry for the developers, and Im sure some of you readers will hate me and even (maybe) insult me. But anyway, Im just exposing MY opinion.

if you play this game its beacause you know BASICALI the realism of racing soo if you know nothing play nfs lol . if your a programer just do a mod but i guess no one will agree of that
Quote from 73AMX401 :I know this is going to open a can of worms but i have to ask why do people have a problem using the clutch with a keyboard on Patch Y? Furthermore if you have a problem with the clutch then turn the manual clutch off instead of coming on here and complaining like a bunch of idiots. By the way, I use a keyboard with the manual clutch and i have never burnt the clutch up. Its not that hard. I would love to have a G25 but that's not in the budget right now. I have actually used the keyboard and clutch since i joined on Patch W and at the time I wished it the cars would stall. Now we get it and all I have seen is complaining. Have you people tried driving the cars more realistically? Sure in a game you can do 7000rpm clutch dumps with no problem but IRL that could be load of damage. Personally I'm glad for the clutch heat because it proves that LFS is moving forward to a more realistic horizon and if some people don't like it and don't want to cope with changes then farewell we didn't need you to start with. By the way, I do know that the clutch isn't the best on a keyboard but that's a realistic step I couldn't go without using. Also sorry if this is already been said I'm just tired of seeing people complain about every little detail of a WORK IN PROGRESS game. Hence these little things called patches that people cry over.

the answer is easy ... they drive like a newb they need to get more skillz
Quote from Bodhidharmazen :
Again, I like to test myself DRIVING, I like to compete with others to try my skills against theirs. THATS IT, if I want to race a car I would buy a gokart or maybe inscribe myself in a real league.

Looking after the car and tires is an essential part of driving in fact what you want to do isn't driving the car at all, you just simply want to race without having to worry about driving the car. In that case you do not want a racing simulator.

Quote from Bodhidharmazen :ENJOY THE DRIVING WITHOUT THE LIMITATIONS OF REALITY.

Go play GT/TRD you don't have to play within the realms of reality there or maybe Wipeout is more your cup of tea?

Quote :
What I like is to drive, it would be nice to drive without "reality" limitations. It would be nice to have a SIMULATION (to use the word most of you love) that were fantastic with physics leaving us the responsability to be fantastic with our driving skills.

Hmm the last time I checked thermodynamics were considered part of physics. If you just chop and change the laws of physics how on earth do you expect to end up with a realistic driving experience?

Quote from AeroMechanical :If it doesn't put limitations on the realism for the rest of us, I can't think of any good reason not to include driving aids for newcomers to sim-racing or people who just want a more casual experience. I don't think there is a pressing need for them, and they ought to be discouraged because you're really selling yourself short if you let the computer do a lot of the driving for you, but it never hurts to have options.

They've just been removed so I think there is a reason for them not being in the sim any more, namely because everyone would start using auto-cut and blip to remain consistant, they should never have been added in the first place, now thankfully they've gone forever, ironically it's the people who haven't been using auto-cut or lifting that are now complaining of its loss. All this two pedals needs aids stuff is bollocks, I've run since the beginning with a two pedal setup and never ran cut or blip. I'm far faster when I choose to use 2 pedals than 3 although I have more fun when using 3 pedals.

Why LFS has auto-gears and brake and steering help options is beyond me, they need to be removed pronto IMO we've already clearly picked up far too many arcade racers and I still feel LFS isolating from the old guard of serious sim racers has its draw backs, I'm sure if they could be convinced to try it properly they'd soon ditch the ISI rubbish most of them are now playing. The problem is they go on a demo server then come over here and see these silly arcade requests and get put off.

If you bought an arcade game would you suddenly expect it to veer off into a serious simulation half way through its development?
I'm only disappointed in one thing really (more confused about it actually), that is, when your engine is buggered, do you have to press SHIFT + P? Is that your only option? When you pit, it only refuels and evens out the body, but I try to continue racing and the revs are real high straight away and changing gear makes no difference. Is there a button I push or something? It would really suck if SHIFT + P is your only option, but I'd adjust.
Quote from phoretwenny :I'm only disappointed in one thing really (more confused about it actually), that is, when your engine is buggered, do you have to press SHIFT + P? Is that your only option? When you pit, it only refuels and evens out the body, but I try to continue racing and the revs are real high straight away and changing gear makes no difference. Is there a button I push or something? It would really suck if SHIFT + P is your only option, but I'd adjust.

Its your clutch melting Lift off the throttle while up shfting to prevent this from happening
Quote from phoretwenny :I'm only disappointed in one thing really (more confused about it actually), that is, when your engine is buggered, do you have to press SHIFT + P? Is that your only option? When you pit, it only refuels and evens out the body, but I try to continue racing and the revs are real high straight away and changing gear makes no difference. Is there a button I push or something? It would really suck if SHIFT + P is your only option, but I'd adjust.

Have you ever seen a 30 second engine or clutch change?
Quote from niall09 :Its your clutch melting Lift off the throttle while up shfting to prevent this from happening

I see. Well that's definitely the problem. Didn't think it was that realistic.
Quote from ajp71 :Have you ever seen a 30 second engine or clutch change?

True man. I guess I didn't expect it to be as realistic as it as. I think the only problem though is having to start your laps all over again, like, if you were 4th, on your second last lap, and your engine buggers up, that's it, game over man. You gotta start from lap 1. But then that creates the motivation to be really careful, so it's good in that way.
What the hell is wrong with people?
That's not the first bashing thread in this forum and I just cannot think why people don't like it at all. It's fine, patch is good, racing still exists....

Coming today morning in the forums and again I see few new threads about "This patch sucks omg omg omg!"
I just had a cool race in RR server (SO6, FBM) and i came 3rd out of 15, final lap i also had a battle for 1st place, I really couldn't belive myself coming 3rd..
I know that it's nothing special, but for me it's special and when I exit LFS, i just think once more about this great simulator.
Im happy with LFS, though seeing some don't.
#41 - Gunn
Quote from AeroMechanical :If it doesn't put limitations on the realism for the rest of us, I can't think of any good reason not to include driving aids for newcomers to sim-racing or people who just want a more casual experience. I don't think there is a pressing need for them, and they ought to be discouraged because you're really selling yourself short if you let the computer do a lot of the driving for you, but it never hurts to have options.

Options though can create an unfair platform for competition, especially in a racing sim. While they certainly can help new players they may give an unfair advantage in a race situation online. It could be argued that offline play could include driving aids, but in an online race it may be unfairly exploited.
Quote :Lets keep LFS as something you have to work hard to appreciate.

If people become so lazy in our fast food culture that actually learning to play a game become an alienative idea, than may LFS be the last game to bow down.

This patch has actually made me face the fact that racing games are created for very different reasons. Completely obvious really, but there sometimes is this very elitist attitude around LFS which I've liked to imagine would dissolve a bit if arcade racers actually started becomming more sim-like (Forza 2 being a good example). With the latest patch especially, I've had to concede that some people only want to go so far when it comes to actually simulating real racing. It seems as if LFS has actually crossed some sort of boundry and is firmly cementing itself into the hardcore sim territory, shedding itself of many of its former arcade elements. Or maybe this is what happens every patch (more likely) and people just don't want to adapt. I haven't seen good reasons for people to actively dislike the new patch, other than that its now 'more real'. Which should be a good thing- but apparently not. Yes, LFS is a game, but it's trying hard to be so much more than just a game, and that's what's exciting about LFS. Maybe when S3 is finished and done, no-one in their right mind would dare call it a 'game' anymore, because games are something else entirely. Maybe by then it's more 'sport', 'e-sport', definitely more 'sim', closer to real life (racing) than an arcade racer, which I understand is the goal.
#43 - Gunn
Quote from Electrik Kar :Or maybe this is what happens every patch (more likely) and people just don't want to adapt.

Yes it has happened quite a few times over the past five years, more so on major updates. When the keyboard steering was changed back in E6/7, the debate raged for several weeks. Engine damage and tyre wear produced a myriad of "hate" threads too. But many of those who adapted went on to become fine sim racers and strong supporters of LFS. LFS (to me) has always been heading towards "hardcore" territory from the very beginning. That's why I've stuck around. No other "sim" dares to do it properly.
Quote from Gunn :Yes it has happened quite a few times over the past five years, more so on major updates. When the keyboard steering was changed back in E6/7, the debate raged for several weeks. Engine damage and tyre wear produced a myriad of "hate" threads too. But many of those who adapted went on to become fine sim racers and strong supporters of LFS. LFS (to me) has always been heading towards "hardcore" territory from the very beginning. That's why I've stuck around. No other "sim" dares to do it properly.

I wouldn't call it hardcore, i'd call it closer to real life.

Why do people not want a sim, to be like the real thing? I don't get it.
#45 - Gunn
Quote from danben7 :I wouldn't call it hardcore, i'd call it closer to real life.

Why do people not want a sim, to be like the real thing? I don't get it.

"Hardcore" is a term used often by those who don't like driving aids removed or who think the sim is really "just for fun", when they refer to changes that promote realism and make the driving more of a skill than a knack. When you look at the huge body of racing titles that have been made for PC, LFS leans towards the "hardcore" direction as opposed to the "arcade" direction. The term isn't perfect, but is easy to interpret in context.
To be honest, the only thing I've radically had to change in my driving style is the throttle blip, if anything I find myself a bit faster and a lot more consistent with this new patch. Just having a quick half-hour burn around in the XFG on FE Green offline, I just knocked a second off my best time. I think possibly the fact that I'm having to manually blip is helping me keep my mind on the task in hand.
Driver/mechanic dillema
Quote from Bodhidharmazen :I do like the physics simulation but not the part about having to be a mechanic to deal with setups, nor dealing with clutches and the rest of the new stuff.

A good racing driver knows what should be changed on the car to have better performance or to better suit the driver's needs. She doesn't have to be a mechanic to actually know how to do it but she should be able to tell the mechanic what to do.
I don't know about having an arcade and sim mode. There are already a million drivers sucked into cruising servers and drift servers, and racing needs all it can get.

OT- This should be the only thread left complaining about the patch. All the others are way too one sided and/or flame wars.
patch y
So....from demo view(not for long:shy GREAT thing is FBM. Fantastic even.
And for devs, with which we're blessed with, i mean look - u pay once and this thing lives and evolves, and they could take money monthly-which they dont.
Leave them, don't worry, they're doing great job, in fact their part of developing seems altruistic...I hate some ppl saying and waiting for s3 , that's nonsense, BE HAPPY with what u got NOW. I don't care for s3, s4 , alpha, beta, gamma....that doesn't matter cos this thing LFS is in good hands and gets better and better.....
So to scavier team - relax'n'enjoy for holidays, you ve earned it. And lots of respect(which many people just don't give enough)
cheers

#50 - JJ72
can someone tell me without "real world limitations" like gravity, drag, friction and grip.........how the heck are we going to .................."drive"?

I really hope these kind of patch happens more often. so people are reminded that this is a ongoing project.

MAJOR disappointment.
(343 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG