The online racing simulator
How did it all start for you?
(81 posts, started )
I was at a Lan House playng Counter-Strike when i got sick of it and left the server. I started entering all games intalled on that machine when i found lfs... ``wow in this game you can turn a wheel as much as you want, its realistic, not like need for speed or other stuff`` I got home, put Live for speed on google and found the website. started playing demo untill i found someone with international credit card to help me buy it (my dad wouldnt but now he enjoys this game.... bastard).
it was more than 2 years ago, S1 only (i think, the car windows were fully black and no damage.)

how did it happened for you?

EDIT typos and bad grammar... for now
#2 - Nobo
Basically i saw Vykos69 aka "Jo Fiess" on television at GIGA showing the new S2 Alpha and explaining all the features and presenting a live league race with players in the studio. Was impressed of the event and everything around that game. Basically i dont think people could have presented lfs much better then Vykos. This show was just awesome from him. Must be something in July 2005 when i saw it or June....dont remember I bought it straight away., without playing the demo once
I was searching for car crashes on YouTube
I came across a video of a UFR @ autocross rolling over and crashing >.>

This game looks good, > Google. I was impressed by the "freedom" indicators, horn, number plates and the realism amazed me.
Quote from The General Lee :This game looks good, > Google. I was impressed by the "freedom" indicators, horn, number plates and the realism amazed me.

Exactly what i thought that day
I was looking for car setups and skins for NASCAR sims on BHMotorsports.com, and saw the demo. Downloaded, played a while, bought it, played on dial-up for a while, gave up dial up, missed LFS, orderd DSL, never looked back. 4 years in Feb 2008.
same , i found it on youtube , xfg doing a top gear lap at auto x
#7 - Gil07
A Football Manager playing mate ([SR] Keith) told me about it. Started playing it on a crappy laptop, max 30 fps and a gamepad, an here I am
There was no Youtube back then. Me and my friend were long-time fans of Viper Racing and in some time around 2003 he told me about the LFS. Went and downloaded the demo and got hooked on the spot. Managed to buy a S1 license through a fellow Finn and here I am...
Got a new computer back in 2003 and decided to get back into racing sims (a long time earlier I'd played the original NASCAR Racing on my much older computer). So I bought a wheel and tried a bunch of newer games including NASCAR Racing 2003 and Racer. While I was looking for Racer info, I stumbled across the LFS forum at rscnet and tried the demo. Spent one night racing the XFG @ BL2 (offline) and bought S1 the next day. Best money I ever spent on a game.
I found it by watching the STCC this time last year. I thought the software required simulators and motion stuff, and was surprised to see it was a cheap (in price) online racing game.
I played the demo for 2 months and had to buy S2 to play something other than Blackwood!
#11 - Woz
LFS had a good writeup in a games mag. Tried it and had FF wheel and shifter a week later
Got given the demo on CD early 2003, maybe even late 2002. Played offline a little. Grew to really like it. Decided to buy it as soon as I got an internet connection, which was just after I went to Uni, hence join date.
I read about this cool new racing game in a forum I used to visit back in 2002 (I think, it was one the really early versions). I had few races with friends, but I wasn't really in to sims back then. I stopped playing when it turned out that I would have to pay to get the full game (S1 release). Later after I got my driving license I started to get more in to cars and car sims. I preferred netKar at some point and S1 wasn't worth the money for me. A bit later still I found out that there was a alpha version of S2, then I tried the demo and finally LFS was good enough to spend some money on..
went over to my friends house who had the demo.. Played it for a while and loved it.. bout a year later I moved away from my mac and baught a PC and remembered about lfs.. downloaded demo and baught the game couple months later
4/5 years ago

still remember lfs S1 0.3E..

Saw my cousin playing it. Dunno how he got it.
#16 - joen
I read a thread about it on a tech forum I visit. This was somewhere in the S1 era, really can't remember when exactly but it was still in the demo stage. Really liked it and saw great potential. After playing for a while I entered a sort of "lost interest in gaming fase".
Built a new PC, forgot to redownload LFS and kind of forgot about it (shame on me :shy. Years later through the same forum in a topic about rFactor I was led to RSC, but didn't find a demo or anything. I explored the forum some more and came across the LFS section, thought "hey, I remember this!", downloaded the S2 demo, was delighted about how much it had improved, bought it shortly after that. Been stuck here ever since.
my dad found the DEMO on RSC somewhere, along time about, back in S1 days, after then, both me and him love it.
#18 - wark
Googling for little ditty oldschool downloadable racing games/sims in September 2002. Got lucky...

(FYI Jan 03 join dates are wrong on this forum)
When i finally got a wireless connection(only a 10,000,000 times better than the old dial-up) i was on the generally site and on top it had an advertisment for LFS. I had always wanted to see what it was, but the dial up was too slow. When i found the sigh i fell in love.:lovies3d:
I played counter strike for so long and got sick of it after a while (1-2 years) and I love cars and loved racing games. So I went on google and typed racing simulator and guess what the first thing I found was?
LFS.net
I went on the website and saw a couple of pictures and all and it seemed pretty good.
I decided to download it and at start I didnt like it too much because I was used to arcade type of racing games and I used keyboard and found it weird that I had to wait for the wheel to get back to the center and all. Then I went on multiplayer and went on a random drift server and saw 2 ppl twin drifting and I was amazed .

And seeing that I could do that with practice I started playing and tryin out different things and finally got a wheel and s2 eventually(free)
Found it as a demo on a disk around 2005 ish (Along with GTR) i thought id give it ago.. at first, i was like "OMG you have to go 30 to go round the corner, this sucks (at the time i had a REALLY bad controller for my pc, so turning was near impossible)

But as i realised it was a Sim, i decided to hook up my PS2 controller and give that a try, and i loved it

( i actually dont think ive improved my racing since tho :P)
my uncle's friend Bram is british and showed us the game, been hooked ever since!
I red about it on a Dutch board on the 19th of august 2002. I played then with the mouse, liked it but could not get used to the the mouse and i did not have a wheel. So i stopped playing LFS.

4 years, 4 months and ten days later I bought a wheel and an S2 license. I wish i had thought of that sooner
Back in march of 2005 i got sick o NFS type of games, started looking for something more realistic, somehow i found netkar, i coulnt play it because i didint have wheel, wich directed me to RSC, them i found LFS, started playing loved it and didnt leave, tho i do take some breaks because of RL getting in the way
This thread started it for me on August 18th 2002. Fun to read over it again now to see what we were all saying about it

(81 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG