The online racing simulator
Cheap and easy G25 pedal mod..
As I'm sure you're all aware, the brake, clutch and throttle pedals on the G25 sit 'on the same line', unlike a real car in which the throttle is set back in relation to the brake and clutch. This causes problems when trying to heel and toe with the G25.

My solution is this:-

1. Unscrew the brake and clutch pedals.
2. Get hold of some M4 screws at the length you desire, in my case 1 inch longer than the screws supplied. (i used 40mm countersunk screws.)
3. Get a bag of washers. Use them to create a spacer between the pedal and the lever arm on the pedal base. In my case 14 washers per screw did the trick.

This seems to have held nicely, and the difference in pedal heights has made heel toe easier. This doesn't solve the problem of poor pedal positioning but it is a useful, cheap fix.
not a bad idea at all, i may have to try this out
It certainly has done the job, and now I'm happy with the pedals how they are. At any rate, it is a good intermediate fix, and gives you an idea of the different feel before undertaking something more radical...
Might just give that a shot before I get round to building a cockpit thingy.
UPDATE:-

I have since replaced the washers with machined aluminium spacers (thanks to my dad's workshop )and the result is fantastic. I have now got the pedals exactly how I want them (I decided not to move them laterally) and the spacers match the overall look of the pedal base. Heel an toe is now MUCH easier... The aluminum spacers meant I could increase the spacing compared to just using washers.

Pics to follow....
Quote from Origamiboy :UPDATE:-

I have since replaced the washers with machined aluminium spacers (thanks to my dad's workshop )and the result is fantastic. I have now got the pedals exactly how I want them (I decided not to move them laterally) and the spacers match the overall look of the pedal base. Heel an toe is now MUCH easier...

Pics to follow....

Please!
nice.. cant wait to get a g25!
Quote from Origamiboy :Ok, here you go, as promised...

Looks great! I'll have to visit my local HW shop
Looks good! Going to do that mod myself.
They lool much cleaner than mine xD Hmm, seems like a good mod =)
Thanks for the comments everyone.. As I say, its a godsend now the test patch is out, and is completely reversible if you don't like the changes. Win win really.
How about getting your old man to knock up a few dozen more and flogging them?
Although your idea seems neat I have already found a trick that doesn't involve modifications to the G25. It is slightly unrealistic, although it helps me a lot in the game, and I might see if these modifications could help me in real life racing (if and when I ever get into the hobby).

If you don't want to modify your G25 so you can heel and toe you can use a simple technique I did which is to simply make you brakes stronger then they should be. Meaning at anytime if you push the brake pedal to the floor the tires will lock up. So the trick is, that somewhere about 50% on the brake pedal is the threshold braking "balance" point and it is still easy to heel and toe. Actually due to the grip of the brakes it helps me not just keep the pedal to the floor.
For all the North Americans out there. You should be able to find cheap aluminum spacers through Mcmaster.com . I'm sure they will ship internationally, but who wants to spend more on shipping than the actual parts.
Quote from Origamiboy :Thanks for the comments everyone.. As I say, its a godsend now the test patch is out, and is completely reversible if you don't like the changes. Win win really.

how tall are the spacers you used?
12 normal nuts, 4 washers and longer screws later and the G25 is even better!
Holy crap!
I just applied this mod and it's awesome
Quote from UncleBenny :how tall are the spacers you used?

To be precise 850/1000 inch. Not so precise, just over 3/4 inch..
Heh, I just used 2 oversized screw nuts per screw, raising it just over 1/2 an inch. However, even elevating the brake pedal this little makes a huge difference in heel-toeing comfort and consistency.
android, could you post a pic of that, cause i bough the M4 40mm screws, but i wasnt sure on washers and what not. or origami, could you post pics of the parts you have. Im actually not to sure if i have the right screws.
Thanks for sharing the idea, I have just done it, tonight will be for testing
Attached images
05-01-08_1329.jpg
05-01-08_1327.jpg
Quote from NitroNitrous :Thanks for sharing the idea, I have just done it, tonight will be for testing

I did it too just now, and my first impression is that it's awesome! I used 40 mm M4 screws with some pretty large washers for improved stability. On second thought I might have tried out using 50 mm or even 60 mm screws just for testing, but I don't have those available.

EDIT: Been racing Aston Club with the XRG for a few days now to get the hang of it, as that track has lots of corners and hence is a very good heel&toe-learning track IMO. I just tried racing on my favourite combo (the XRT on Aston Historic), and I beat my old patchX PB three laps in a row!

Thanks for the pedal modding advice!
Yeah, it works fine, I love it. I also used 40mm washers and 600x40mm screws, I think it´s enough strong. The only problem is that it seems a bit ugly

Cheap and easy G25 pedal mod..
(41 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG