The online racing simulator
How to: Change gears in version Y.
So it seems like there are theards about shifting all around the forums and I got confused too how you actually shift those gears now with the Y version.

I would like someone to post here how you will operate gears now:

Normal cars:

Upshift:

Downshift:

GTR cars:

Upshift:

Downshift:

Formulas:

Upshift:

Downshift:

So here you can tell how do they work now.
You may tell how how a specific car's gears need to be shifted also If some car isn't in any of those groups

Thanks!
from what i understand the only shifting thats different is the FBM where you just let up on the throttle for a split second...
because i am auto clutcher what i do is when i see the lights going orange/red color i start counting to 5, when i reach 3 i lift my foot off accelerator, at 4 i shift at 5 i am back at accelerator. stupid technique but it helps me to do the gears and not tu kill my car.

for downshifting i just realease accelerator down shift and go on speed again
the fox u cant gear down with the acelerator on, u need to lift up
So what cars do use this techique with autoclutch:

Upshift: Lift the gas pedal, shift up, push gas pedal.

Downshift: Lift gas pedal (or blip it), shift, press gas pedal down?
Quote from bigj6230 :from what i understand the only shifting thats different is the FBM where you just let up on the throttle for a split second...

Same for the MRT5....

#7 - axus
You might want to divide your list with transmission types rather than car types. And, for the FBM, what you are meant to do is "put pressure" on the upshift lever. That is, pull the paddle or lever and hold it there. When you lift the throttle momentarily, the car will pop into the next gear almost instantly. Then you can release the paddle/lever and get back on the gas.
Quote from axus :And, for the FBM, what you are meant to do is "put pressure" on the upshift lever.

exactly but as i pointed out in the patch thread (which did go unnoticed in the chaos but anyway its probably more appropriate here anyway) i think you shouldnt have to "pull" the lever again for each shift
also an option to go back to the old shift+clutch behaviour of the shift up and down buttons might be useful (maybe only on downshifts for the bmw)
Quote from axus :You might want to divide your list with transmission types rather than car types. And, for the FBM, what you are meant to do is "put pressure" on the upshift lever. That is, pull the paddle or lever and hold it there. When you lift the throttle momentarily, the car will pop into the next gear almost instantly. Then you can release the paddle/lever and get back on the gas.

Not on my wheel!! There is no inbetween. You either shift or don't shift. And you have to lift on almost all the cars to shift.
I haven't tested all of the cars, but here's how I understand it. In paranthesises is for manual clutchers:

Normal cars:

Upshift: Lift gas pedal. (clutch)

Downshift: blip if you like. (clutch)

GTR cars:

XRR and FXR:
Upshift: no further action required

Downshift: actually you should blip, but it seems to work fine if you don't

FZR, UFR and XFR:
Upshift: lift throttle (clutch)

Downshift: blip if you like (clutch)

Formulas:

Upshift: FBM: lift throttle, others: no further action required

Downshift: again, blipping would be more true to rL, but apparantly it seems to work fine without it. BF1 would probably blip all by itself irl, but I'm not sure

please feel free to correct anything you like.
I am using NO CLUTCH pedal, so I don't have to blip the throttle on downshifts

Normal cars:

Upshift: Lift throttle 1/2 of the way right when u shift.

Downshift: Just shift down.

GTR cars:

Upshift: Lift throttle 1/3 of the way right when u shift.

Formulas:

Upshift: Lift throttle 1/4 of the way right when u shift.

Thanks fo the replies. Im using Black Momo so I guess I'll have to do same what Matt0snap does
Quote from Shotglass :exactly but as i pointed out in the patch thread (which did go unnoticed in the chaos but anyway its probably more appropriate here anyway) i think you shouldnt have to "pull" the lever again for each shift
also an option to go back to the old shift+clutch behaviour of the shift up and down buttons might be useful (maybe only on downshifts for the bmw)

You'd have to pull the lever again in the real thing, so why not here?
Yah, I am not into being perfect so I just change how I drive for each class rather than each car. Probably loose like .20 of a second but w/e.
Quote from tristancliffe :You'd have to pull the lever again in the real thing, so why not here?

do you really have to let go of it and pull again or can you just keep a constant pressure on it and it will sort of do the rest of the work all by itself when you lift ?
tbh ive never diven a sequential box but i would imagine the latter is true
Quote from Shotglass :exactly but as i pointed out in the patch thread (which did go unnoticed in the chaos but anyway its probably more appropriate here anyway) i think you shouldnt have to "pull" the lever again for each shift

For some reason I don't find myself "pulling" a second time - I'm just shifting a wee tiny itsy bit sooner than I let off the throttle and hold the shift button a wee tiny itsy bit longer which I assume is what one would do with the gear lever.
#17 - axus
Quote from xaotik :For some reason I don't find myself "pulling" a second time - I'm just shifting a wee tiny itsy bit sooner than I let off the throttle and hold the shift button a wee tiny itsy bit longer which I assume is what one would do with the gear lever.

Ditto, works fine.
another repost from the other thread that fits better here (you can tell ive dropped out of the top 10 sadness rating cant you?)
i think the h gate gtrs should be shifted clutchless as i would imagine them to be unsynced gearboxes
It's very confusing for me, to be honest there are changes which I feel shouldnt of been changed. For example, Digital Speedo why has that been removed?
Quote from chanoman315 :the fox u cant gear down with the acelerator on, u need to lift up

Well the ignition cut only works on upshifts because you shouldn't be needing to make flat downshifts like a lot of people were used to in LFS.
Quote from Shotglass :do you really have to let go of it and pull again or can you just keep a constant pressure on it and it will sort of do the rest of the work all by itself when you lift ?
tbh ive never diven a sequential box but i would imagine the latter is true

Yes, you have to pull for the next gear. Just like on a bike - have you ridden a motorbike?

When you change gear, you don't just pull and lift, you have to pull, lift, let the gear (and lever) move, return the level to middle (against it's spring) and then get back on the throttle. So it's just a jab at the lever as you lift, rather than predicting the shift and applying pressure for several seconds - you 'box bearings won't thank you
Quote from tristancliffe :Yes, you have to pull for the next gear. Just like on a bike - have you ridden a motorbike?

nope i have not

Quote :When you change gear, you don't just pull and lift, you have to pull, lift, let the gear (and lever) move, return the level to middle (against it's spring) and then get back on the throttle. So it's just a jab at the lever as you lift, rather than predicting the shift and applying pressure for several seconds

ah well i was wrong then
but my suggestion to bring back the shift+clutch button behaviour still stands

Quote :you 'box bearings won't thank you

yeah i thought it might be a wee bit hard on the box to do this for longer periods of time but you know what? screw dem bearing whiners theyre even worse than those crying about the new patch
So in real life, with a sequential gearbox (like in the fox, fbm, gtr's, etc), You shift up w/o clutch and shift down and rev-match with a clutch (using normal heel-toe technique when braking)?

In LFS, I can now downshift super-fast in the FOX and FBM (and maybe GTR's - haven't tried them yet) w/o using the clutch and it seems to work perfectly fine. That doesn't seem right to me. The clutch doesn't wear out and the car seems to stay balanced unless I shift down too many gears too quickly.

I like using the clutch and blipping the throttle but if it's not realistic to do so in certain cars, I might as well do it the faster and more realistic way (no clutch).
Quote from tristancliffe :Yes, you have to pull for the next gear. Just like on a bike - have you ridden a motorbike?

When you change gear, you don't just pull and lift, you have to pull, lift, let the gear (and lever) move, return the level to middle (against it's spring) and then get back on the throttle. So it's just a jab at the lever as you lift, rather than predicting the shift and applying pressure for several seconds - you 'box bearings won't thank you

hmmm....I'm doing it wrong then. I lift, and then shift, like in a normal car. It's probably slower but it's more intuitive. I'll try it the right way next time.
Quote from ultrataco :So in real life, with a sequential gearbox (like in the fox, fbm, gtr's, etc), You shift up w/o clutch and shift down and rev-match with a clutch (using normal heel-toe technique when braking)?

In LFS, I can now downshift super-fast in the FOX and FBM (and maybe GTR's - haven't tried them yet) w/o using the clutch and it seems to work perfectly fine. That doesn't seem right to me. The clutch doesn't wear out and the car seems to stay balanced unless I shift down too many gears too quickly.

I like using the clutch and blipping the throttle but if it's not realistic to do so in certain cars, I might as well do it the faster and more realistic way (no clutch).

Exactly what I thought and started a thread about it:

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=34823

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG