The online racing simulator
Quote from J.B. :

Interesting, didn't realize the FBM was monoshock. What this means is that the spring rate has no effect on the roll rate. So the car can be soft when both wheels are loaded simultaneously and hard when rolling.

Why this is a good thing? Beats me. I think FBMW and F3 are the only ones who use it.

Another strange thing: it looks like the front rollbar is non-adjustable.

EDIT: oh wait, that would be what the spacers on that horizontal bit that the connecting rods are attached to are for.

If there were no other springs, then wouldn't it be like a solid axle (non-independent suspension)? It would only compress and rebound equally on both sides. If there was a deflection up on one side, there would be a corresponding force down on the other side. I think the pivot points where the rods attach to the frame might have some spring or tortion bar attached to them that we can't see. It is just a total guess on my part though. The main spring in the middle would work for both equal deflections and to compensate for downforce (guessing again).
The vertical bar (which is very short!) is the torsion bar (aka anti-roll bar). It's short to provide pretty much ALL the roll resistance, as the monoshock contributes nothing. I think.
I wonder why Eric is so much better modelling... ehm little details? Like the engine and the cockpit. The car model(s) itself are a bit lacking what comes to detail you know... maybe again here comes the difference of fictional and real cars; you have to invent the detail, on real ones you just model it after the example. Altough BMW-Sauber is not that detailed either.

This BMW is maybe the most detailed model in LFS which is not much said... expect the very impressive cockpit which is as nice as netKar's. Little compare, rFactor's F.BMW 2.0 mod: [#1] [#2] [#3] and Race 07's version: [#1] [#2]. I mean neither of these are bad or perfect models, just making a point that it's not that extraordinary in LFS either.

Now I'm fairly confident that the other interiors are going be on same graphical level. Can't wait the next patch (if the interiors are not in Y). After this, how can you even watch the other low-detail (or no detail) low-res cockpits that all looks the same.
I think it is quite easy to make a fictional car look real with details.

All the past models Eric have made are very old, and obviously not as much time was put into them as the FBM I think. If the roadcars just had extra body lines between body parts, more visible bolts and added edges to give a more complex look... then LFS would look 10x better.

I am confident he can do cockpits, but to be honest, I'd rather see the bodywork touched up on all the cars. For example, UF1000 could look SOOOO much better with little classic chrome bits (especially the bumpers).

FBM definitely will have to set the standard for all the other models in LFS.
Quote from Hallen :If there were no other springs, then wouldn't it be like a solid axle (non-independent suspension)? It would only compress and rebound equally on both sides. If there was a deflection up on one side, there would be a corresponding force down on the other side. I think the pivot points where the rods attach to the frame might have some spring or tortion bar attached to them that we can't see. It is just a total guess on my part though. The main spring in the middle would work for both equal deflections and to compensate for downforce (guessing again).

I think the way it works is that the main spring gets compressed whenever the total front axle load increases. But when one wheelload increases while the other wheelload decreases (as in cornering) then the main spring will stay where it is and roll will occur by twisting of the rollbar (marked in green below).

I'm quite sure there are no hidden dampers or springs in the rockers on that car. But in F1 they do in fact use that type arrangement (rotational dampers).

EDIT: Tristan was faster
Attached images
P1010572 (Medium).JPG
Holy god, nice looking interior. Go Eric!
Anyone knows which LCD system that is on the wheel? Could Google the manufacturer and see better pics. On the official screenshot you can see the same stuff that FOX/FO8/BF1 has (brake bl. & fuel). I doubt this is correct (like it made any difference in the end ).
Quote from deggis :Anyone knows which LCD system that is on the wheel? Could Google the manufacturer and see better pics. On the official screenshot you can see the same stuff that FOX/FO8/BF1 has (brake bl. & fuel). I doubt this is correct (like it made any difference in the end ).

http://www.2d-datarecording.com/

Says right on the wheel
Quote from Me :
I think FBMW and F3 are the only ones who use it.

Turns out that the Tatuus Formula Renault 2000 (the car the FOX is based on) also uses monoshock front suspension. So maybe FBM isn't the first car of this type in LFS. If the suspension is even modelled to this level of detail that is.
thanks scawen! I cant wait for the patch!!
Quote from J.B. :I think the way it works is that the main spring gets compressed whenever the total front axle load increases. But when one wheelload increases while the other wheelload decreases (as in cornering) then the main spring will stay where it is and roll will occur by twisting of the rollbar (marked in green below).

I'm quite sure there are no hidden dampers or springs in the rockers on that car. But in F1 they do in fact use that type arrangement (rotational dampers).

EDIT: Tristan was faster

Hmmmm, the part you have marked has no way to twist. If one side trys to move up or down independently, it would be stopped by the other side if the motion and to go through that part you marked. Plus, it looks like that part only pivots front to rear with the mono shock.

I still bet there are torsion bars mounted insided the "rockers". That would allow for independent movement of each wheel. That motion would happen prior to the motion being transmitted to the mono shock assembly. I am sure there is something I am missing here though.

I don't know what "vertical bars" Tristan is referring to.
I'm not sure why you think the rollbar can't twist? I've added another arrow in the picture to show how it is supposed to twist. It's the vertical bar Tristan was referring to. And I can assure you there are no torsion bars in the rockers. I've looked at the pictures and they are perfectly normal rockers, just as on any other race car.
Attached images
P1010572 (Medium).JPG
Has that 1 picture been posted and attached like 5 million times?
Thanks Scawen!!! I'm looking forward to the new update..
Quote from The Very End :Same happend to me, was jumping the forums the day before exam. Exam for me = HORRIBLE FAIL!
I did pass...barely...

same for me... i think im gonna loose my scholarship cuz of lfs.. well for the game i have in my pc...
Quote from chanoman315 :same for me... i think im gonna loose my scholarship cuz of lfs.. well for the game i have in my pc...

Burn your wheel, you wont have any problems then.
Quote from Riders Motion : -I'm f**king going to fail my exams tomorow cuz I can't study right now...

Me too. Although, my last exam of the semester is Friday, so if the patch comes out on Friday like many predict it'll work out perfectly for me I might just go home Saturday instead of Sunday to play it on my good computer!
Bah, what's this whole "exam" thing, doesn't everyone do as I do and just show up and do well on them?
That generally how I tackle things, but this is an Art History exam. I have not payed attention in a single class, nor studied for it yet. I've only myself to blame for that, though.
I might be lucky, seeing I can sit through classes, just there, not really listening, but absorb everything the teacher says without realizing which helps loadsl.
Most exams are based on common knowledge or common sense (the great part about being in a design course) so I can do the same, basically. Just not for Art History. Even Psych is basically common sense.
Hey look, that FBM was made on 30/04/2003 according to the serial number plate - man... that is amazing... I'm simply speechless... it's a Taurus!
Quote from xaotik :Hey look, that FBM was made on 30/04/2003 according to the serial number plate - man... that is amazing... I'm simply speechless... it's a Taurus!

That's a lot of bull.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG