The online racing simulator
Quote from UncleBenny :you're forgetting the fact that when someone uses chase view they are physically not in the car, which makes the car lighter and gives them an advantage over the rest of us. so really, it isn't fair.

Good one

Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Good greif!

TVE and co, quit saying "treat everone the same" and then in the same breath argue that "everyone is different". (!)

You can still give everyone a chance to play the game with the controllers they want. That means you're treating everyone the same while they're all different.
Quote from sgt.flippy :The excuse of "I always driven like this" is kinda lame. Older games often didn't have in car view, so I used the external cam a lot too, because I hated hood cams. You just need a bit time to adapt, since I've been playing LFS, I always used the interior view, and when I play other games without interior view now, I use the hood view because it feels way better because I got used to it now.

yup, the switch took me a little while but you get used to it. i don't even know how people play from LFS's chase view, i just ended up spinning all over the place.

if you can drive a real car from the driver's sear, you should be able to use the cockpit view in LFS. just do a couple of laps at south city, you'll figure out where the corners of your car are real fast
It's a bit of a chicken and egg deal. LFS is the only game/sim that has ever inspired me to buy a wheel, but I would never have gotten to that point if I was never allowed the chance of using a mouse.

It's about being practical in the end and exposing people to the sim, which I think is the correct attitude. What people do next should be their responsibility, but if you don't allow potential new racers those first few concessions, then it just creates a wall.
Quote from Californian :You can still give everyone a chance to play the game with the controllers they want. That means you're treating everyone the same while they're all different.

Very true, but what I really mean is don't whine about it being awkward and/or harder to use a keyboard.... it SHOULD be. No getting rid of stalling just because you have to use a button for it IMO. No clutch? Then either use an appropriately gimped autoclutch or use a button/key, and use a high first gear and so forth.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Very true, but what I really mean is don't whine about it being awkward and/or harder to use a keyboard.... it SHOULD be. No getting rid of stalling just because you have to use a button for it IMO. No clutch? Then either use an appropriately gimped autoclutch or use a button/key, and use a high first gear and so forth.

Oh well I see your point and that's right.
The keyboard users should definitelly adjus themselfs to the new physics as does everyone else if theyre still using the KB.
Quote from duke_toaster :Re. the blipping issue - where does this leave users of hardware with a single throttle/brake axis (pad users, joystick users, users of older wheels)? I'm pretty sure most racing cars with sequentials basically autoblip.

Sorry to steal Kev's line and sorry to use big font but people just don't seem to get one thing:

When you have the controller (any possible controller - digital or analog) configured to operate the throttle, please explain me how in the world it's not possible to release it for a small amount of time (to upshift) and press/push it (while downshifting)?

And how hard is it in practice - that is irrelevant.

And not all sequentials are autoblip. Only bigger single seaters mostly. As far as I know most common way in modern GT or touring cars is sequential with ignition cut: upshifts with electronically done lift-off, downshifts with manually blipping (clutch is only sometimes recommended by the teams but usually not required). This is the case with for example Ferrari F430 (GT2) and Corvette C6R (GT1).

Quote from mrodgers :The advantage that some seem to think is that they can be more aware around themselves and see the corners better.

My view is, the chase view users have a disadvantage as they don't have a first person's view of how the car is reacting, thus g-forces and the behavior of the oversteer/understeer.

Eh? Seeing when exactly a wheel starts to slip (by the skidmark suddenly appearing behind the car) is a disadvantage? Can I have what you've been smoking?

Quote from Californian :You can still give everyone a chance to play the game with the controllers they want. That means you're treating everyone the same while they're all different.

They can already, but at the same time they have to recognize that BECAUSE they are choosing something else, they have to face the consequences...
If you need to see to know if tire slips, I suggest practising more and ramping volume and FF bit higher
Damn, I've been away for a while (ok, a somewhat big while) and this happens. You guys sure now how to surprise us out of the blue

The FB02 looks gorgeous, can't wait to take it out! Although I'll be very rusty I suspect.

Quote from Scawen :
I was able to get a test day driving the Formula BMW

You lucky b****** j/k
Awesome video. Cool to see a bit of Eric again

Anyway, my hands and feet are itching
Quote from bbman :Eh? Seeing when exactly a wheel starts to slip (by the skidmark suddenly appearing behind the car) is a disadvantage? Can I have what you've been smoking?

If you react to the image of a skid mark, you are about one second too late in catching the slide!
Quote from BlueFlame :Now THAT is what I call a REVENGE WRECK, seriously, I didn't think that shit happened in real-life, it LITERALLY, is like 2 LFS n00bs wrecking.

holy cow!

i can't believe he did not get a lifetime ban for that. he could have killed the other driver!
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Very true, but what I really mean is don't whine about it being awkward and/or harder to use a keyboard.... it SHOULD be. No getting rid of stalling just because you have to use a button for it IMO. No clutch? Then either use an appropriately gimped autoclutch or use a button/key, and use a high first gear and so forth.

Your right that it will be harder, but not that it should be. I think you just have to accept that it will be much harder to use a keyboard in the future on this game. But I do not think LFS should be played with a wheel and 3 pedals, if that was the case the game would cost £300 and include a wheel and pedals.

My bogus reason for not owning a wheel is the lack of space at my computer, and the cost. I enjoy the fact that I can compete on LFS without a wheel.
Everyone should have wheel, huge picture and preferrably some kind of motion simulator, that is what should come with game, until you have all these game is lacking big time.
Quote from deggis :Sorry to steal Kev's line and sorry to use big font but people just don't seem to get one thing:

When you have the controller (any possible controller - digital or analog) configured to operate the throttle, please explain me how in the world it's not possible to release it for a small amount of time (to upshift) and press/push it (while downshifting)?

you might want to read that post you quoted again or work on your reading comprehension skills a bit before you make a complete twat of yourself again
Quote from Shotglass :you might want to read that post you quoted again or work on your reading comprehension skills a bit before you make a complete twat of yourself again

Of course, although I personally prefer not to go around labelling people twats
Quote from Shotglass :you might want to read that post you quoted again or work on your reading comprehension skills a bit before you make a complete twat of yourself again

Have to admit I hadn't thought of people using gamepads, with one axis combining both brake and throttle - clearly they're not going to be able to blip the throttle while braking with their controls set up like that.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Have to admit I hadn't thought of people using gamepads, with one axis combining both brake and throttle - clearly they're not going to be able to blip the throttle while braking with their controls set up like that.

Which is why you see me going sideways under heavy braking quite often, I have no complaints because its so much fun!
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Your right that it will be harder, but not that it should be. I think you just have to accept that it will be much harder to use a keyboard in the future on this game. But I do not think LFS should be played with a wheel and 3 pedals, if that was the case the game would cost £300 and include a wheel and pedals.

My bogus reason for not owning a wheel is the lack of space at my computer, and the cost. I enjoy the fact that I can compete on LFS without a wheel.

I don't see how it's my right that it will be harder...

Anyway,

Space and cost have already been addressed by Tristan, quite well actually. Something along the lines of "sell some shit", and "save up", note the synergy. Sell some shit so you have space, and voila! money for a wheel.

Scawen's own words, on the LFS website:

"LFS S2 is a serious racing simulator. No arcade modes, no steering aids - YOU have to do the driving. It is therefore highly recommended to drive the sim with a steering wheel, because even though you can use keyboard and/or mouse, a wheel is what you use in a real car, so a wheel should be used in a serious racing simulator. Especially when going online, where fast reactions are required."
Quote :"LFS S2 is a serious racing simulator. No arcade modes, no steering aids - YOU have to do the driving. It is therefore highly recommended to drive the sim with a steering wheel, because even though you can use keyboard and/or mouse, a wheel is what you use in a real car, so a wheel should be used in a serious racing simulator. Especially when going online, where fast reactions are required."

end of discussion
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Which is why you see me going sideways under heavy braking quite often, I have no complaints because its so much fun!

Yeah I immediately thought of you actually, and how quick you were going the other night. Nice one.
Quote :end of discussion

I'm sure
Quote from Not Sure :end of discussion

Hah as if that's some revelation. I reckon 90% of people here are aware of that statement, it's been quoted to death in these sorts of threads over the years. The carousel continues around and around. As long as it's possible to be even slightly competitive with at least the average wheel user there'll be people claiming that other control methods should be penalised more heavily. Just as the same will happen and is happening with 3-pedal/shifter users and 2 pedal/paddles users.
I'm not saying anyone is wrong. Scawen has done the right thing and made these things server-side options. He can't just turn LFS into a game that is unplayable unless you have the full equipment overnight. If you think he could then you're deluded, and even if he could, I don't think he would.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Yeah I immediately thought of you actually, and how quick you were going the other night. Nice one.

Oh last night i was driving beyond my limits, since I had an old set and didn't know the track, it was so much fun. Hopefully the BMW will be a handful on South City.

Anyway sorry for me being crap at getting across what I mean in previous posts. I just don't want LFS to start excluding people who don't use a wheel, because for me apart from cost and space its also a comfort thing. Laminate flooring and a chair with wheels, combined with my long legs and small desk space make owning a wheel too much of an effort. I would need to set it up everytime I wanted to race, at the moment I pick up my PS2 pad and go racing. If I had the space I would definately own a wheel, since I actually have to warm up my pad so that its not so sensative. Watch me befor a race and you see me going mad with the steering, thats me trying to loosen the stick and make it easier to use.

I should use my webcam to film my thumbs at work while racing at south city in the FOX, might give an interesting twist to that 'show us your footwork' thread.
This thread is closed

Soon available : Formula BMW FB02
(1389 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG