The online racing simulator
#51 - JTbo
It is just that quite many don't find good racing so instead of racing they go to cruise servers, they see it as only option to not driving. Unfortainly they do create then this situation by themselfs, if they would not join to cruise servers in first place, there soon would be lot more racing.

I would even go so far and say that going to cruise server is choice of weaks, they don't have enough spine to try, fail and try again at racing servers, it is easy choice which is not good one.

It is like staying home instead of going to school because it is raining outside, you miss opportunity to learn and gain bigger good later in life and every day counts.
-
(mrrrco) DELETED by mrrrco : tired
I'm not much a fan of those cruise servers, but I don't mind them either. The only thing that I find annoying about them (and drift servers) is when I browse the host list and think: "Oh, that's a nice combo" - just to find out I can't race there
There really should be a "Race / Drift / Other" filter in the server list (which I suggested quite a few times )
#53 - JTbo
Quote from herki :I'm not much a fan of those cruise servers, but I don't mind them either. The only thing that I find annoying about them (and drift servers) is when I browse the host list and think: "Oh, that's a nice combo" - just to find out I can't race there
There really should be a "Race / Drift / Other" filter in the server list (which I suggested quite a few times )

Yep, I agree, filter there should be. It is similar to case with modding really, let there be filter too, those who don't like to see that side could have then possibility to not to see
Quote from GruntOfAction :And some weird things called Webkins are invading children's christmas lists! (I see it alot on those charity trees they have in the store where you buy the needy kid something.

How can you buy a toy which requires internet for a kid?!
You don't need the internet, it's a stuffed animal. Kids play with stuffed animals all the time without the internet.

Besides, it's fun to watch the fights when you have 2 kids. I put both of my kid's on the same account. The 7 year old plays all the games and brags about how much "cash" she makes, then gets all bent when the 3 year old spends all the "cash" on cloths and stuff for her webkin's room

It just gives the Grandmas something to buy for the grandkids. I think my kids both have 8 each of the f'in things.

Actually, some of the games on the site are a bit of fun when you're bored. In fact, I'm on the forum here because I can't sleep, I'm traveling for work which I don't do very often. So, maybe I'll just go on the kid's webkins account and play some of the games, hehehe.

Or, better yet, I'll log into it, and changed all the little rooms around on them. That will be great fun when the 3 year old is on playing tomorrow, muhahahahaah!
your one evil bastard :P
Quote from NotAnIllusion :My issue with cruising (and other sorts of servers too, as well as drifting, albeit to a slightly lesser extent) servers is that LFS is officially an "Online Racing Simulation".

Don't really care for 'cruising' myself, but this comment keeps appearing in the forum... "LFS is a Race Sim" (capitalise or enbolden as you see fit...). Why are you people so docile?

Why do you see it as so important to follow a fundamentalist interpretation of that arrangement of letters?

Why is it so hard to grasp that people will do with the technology what they desire? That if you are not interested, then you just get on with following your own desires?

Why? I just don't understand your useless whining, your dogmatic pontificating, your utter dependence on monochromatic definition.

No race servers? Then start some - and for god's sake don't let it be GTRs on AS Nat... or indeed anything AS club... Fine as these tracks are, they are little more than drag strips with corners at either end.... So very popular. I wonder why?
Quote from nihil :a load of nonsense

Don't go ruining this thread. Instead, go get an extra class or two in reading comprehension and try again.
Quote from nihil :No race servers? Then start some

Good point, but most of the time people want to join servers which are already populated. So they expect the other ones to do it whilst they just had to pick one or two mates and start a combo they like on any of the loads of empty servers and wait for people to join.
For instance on ConeDodgers 4 you can drive the GTR's and select the track you want on the entry screen. There are plenty of other servers allowing track selection on a specific car class. People just need the will to do it

Quote from nihil :don't let it be GTRs on AS Nat... or indeed anything AS club... Fine as these tracks are, they are little more than drag strips with corners at either end.... So very popular. I wonder why?

Because these tracks are good for populated races. They are wide and quite forgiving which is good for beginners so they can learn many things with a reduced risk to create a mayhem. Have you ever seen an absolute beginner at South City ?
They are also good tracks for experienced drivers because they are not as easy as they appear to be and it's all about the finest details when you want to get more speed.
So at the end they are good places where experienced drivers and beginners can meet each others thus making them popular combos.
Quote from TAYLOR-MANIA :I think it's easier said then done with the cruise servers constantly dominating the S2 traffic!

If half the people who play LFS are retards, you're not going to get them into race servers even if you do away with all the stupid moron servers. They'll just go get their retard on in some other game.

To be honest I think most of them are kids who are too young to drive. Learning to drive is considered a rite of passage for some people, so they probably get a kick out of pretending they can drive, observing speed limits, turning on the indicators or whatever the hell they do.
If you want to cruise, go out, and take a real car. Like "thisnameismistaken" said, kids too young are hooked to simulated the reality they cannot attain.
#62 - JTbo
Live for license, maybe that would sell
Quote from NotAnIllusion :Don't go ruining this thread. Instead, go get an extra class or two in reading comprehension and try again.

Ahh... Not going to play? Go on, make my day, take the bait rather than relying on such an effete and impoverished attempt at scorn.

Quote from Lotesdelere : So at the end they are good places where experienced drivers and beginners can meet each others thus making them popular combos.

Yeah, I guess you're right on that - good post altogether actually, especially "the will to do it" part! I don't really miss online racing in LFS at the moment since, compared to what is possible within the program, the racing combinations offered are so frequently lacking in variety. Things are changing (I'm not a pessimist by nature!): the CTRA thing is instrumental in this; Gentlefoot has been pimping the FO8; and the LX autocross challenge was clearly an effort to promote and broaden out a criminally underused area of LFS.

Its annoying to watch people complaining about cruise, drift, whatever servers, when the racing community choose the same combinations over and over again. @Taylor-Mania - appreciate your post too, but I really think its up to the racing community to create and promote an engaging variety of events and pick-up racing.

I also need to say that I appreciate how much time an effectively organised event series can take up (in my days driving Racer, I arranged and 'marshalled' a ten week series of time-attack challenges - I had to create a big hole in my daily schedule to keep it up!), but, ultimately, that kind of buzz isn't created by carping about how popular something else appears to be.
Quote from thisnameistaken :If half the people who play LFS are retards, you're not going to get them into race servers even if you do away with all the stupid moron servers. They'll just go get their retard on in some other game.

To be honest I think most of them are kids who are too young to drive. Learning to drive is considered a rite of passage for some people, so they probably get a kick out of pretending they can drive, observing speed limits, turning on the indicators or whatever the hell they do.

Thanks for taking a mature stance to the whole cruising aspect of LFS. If you knew what you were talking about you might not sound so bad yourself, but that's probably too difficult and would be considered time-wasting.
A large part of the people on CLC are adults, in fact, and all admins, except one, are above 18 in CLC. So it's not got anything to do with us being retards or not being able to race.
It is infact us wanting to add something to LFS. I like to race myself, but driving slowly without crashing seems to be an art in itself also.
If you were on CLC's server you would know what's available. We've had endurance races once or twice, skin competitions, drag-racing etcetera.
Another thing some of you don't realise is that, in some cases, we're a good asset to the devs, because there have been a few instances where I've heard people saying they bought a license because of the mmorpg feeling to CLC.
Another thing that got to me is that someone said there aren't so many racing servers because most people are cruising. Well, I remember I felt the same when I got my license... which was before this new In-Sim generation appeared.
Quote from Chris P :Thanks for taking a mature stance to the whole cruising aspect of LFS.

Thanks for setting up servers to take all the immature racers out of the proper servers. Seriously - I'm glad you're babysitting them and keeping them away from me.

Quote from Chris P :it's not got anything to do with us being retards or not being able to race.

I didn't say you couldn't race.

Quote from Chris P :If you were on CLC's server you would know what's available. We've had endurance races once or twice, skin competitions, drag-racing etcetera.

I can't help but think you'd be happier with a Second Life account.

Quote from Chris P :Another thing some of you don't realise is that, in some cases, we're a good asset to the devs, because there have been a few instances where I've heard people saying they bought a license because of the mmorpg feeling to CLC.

Even if that's true, I'm not the devs, so I'm having a hard time giving a crap.
Off topic:
Quote from thisnameistaken :I can't help but think you'd be happier with a Second Life account.

I went to Second Life once or twice.

There were flying penises. I was scared and ran away.
Quote from the_angry_angel :Off topic:
I went to Second Life once or twice.

There were flying penises. I was scared and ran away.

I went once. I did some server-side work for a guy who sells tat in there so I made an account for testing. I've never seen anything so laggy or full of sad losers in all my days - and I've been on Counter-Strike servers.
Kev, you're always in CS servers, so quit yah lying!

:hide:
I find Second Life scary. I mean really really scary. It somehow reminds me of a Matrix prototype, I never want to go there *shudder*
It also seems to be a good breeding ground for hikikomoris
Oh great, now I've found the word to describe exactly what I want to do for my life

Hurrah!
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Kev, you're always in CS servers, so quit yah lying!

:hide:

I don't even think I've got it installed any more. I do play an hour of TF2 here and there as you've seen. And I'm better at it than you, as you've seen.
Oh, that's just because I wasn't being a medic, seeing somehow I'm freaking useful as a medic.
My biggest score in my stats is as a medic, and I've only played medic for 25 minutes - it's easy.
It is, I got up to 101 points in about 45 minutes last night at 2Fort, was great fun Smile

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG