The online racing simulator
Milleage: Do you really care about it?
Hi,

I'm just wondering if you really bother to look at someone's milleage before judging if he is a good racer. I have looked at a couple of our 'celebrities' on the forum and found out they had sometimes upto 20 000 miles driven online. Problem is those guys can't handle a UF1 on a drag strip! What is desolating to see are 'professional' teams look for members that has XX XXX + milleage to accept them. What if the guy with 93 646 miles only wasted them on CLC and TC servers? What if he only shared his account or bought it off a friend? What if he's just an oval whore? Do you really think we should get based on milleage before judging someone? Discussion opened.
First off, just wanted to state that I'm not the fastest, nor the greatest racer out there.....

No, I rarely look at milage. But I do check total laps. Not to judge them whether they are a good racer or not, but just to judge if they are new or not. I like to help out the new guys. The more we help out the new guys, the better racers we have in competition in the near future.

I check to judge if they may need some pointers, or what type of setup they would benefit, stuff like that.

As for "the 'professional' teams look for members that has XX XXX + milleage to accept them". I rarely see any of the 'professional' teams wanting x amount of milage. The majority of the 'professional' teams will decide to offer a racer that they know and have been racing with for quite some time. If they are recruiting just for the sake of recruiting just to aquire more members, then they aren't such a 'professional' team, IMO.
It's generally the 2 week forum teams that require a certain mileage.
I sort of care about milage. I'd like to see a counter of how many miles on a certan server.
From time to time, I check up on a driver that has come to my attention for some reason. I look at his/her online mileage and it tells me just exactly that: The mileage they've done online !

Profound, isn't it?

Ok, seriously now, its just one of the things I look at when checking out another driver. Obviously, the online mileage tells you nothing about how quick a driver can go, but you get an idea of how familiar the driver is with ermmm, well, being online.
I never look at other people stats, whats the point. How they drive and their attitude are the only things I care about when it comes to the people I want to race with. How long some one has been driving, how fast they are, what leagues they are in, or what type of driving they like to do has absolutely no bearing on the things I consider imperative.
#7 - Woz
Quote from Gimpster :I never look at other people stats, whats the point. How they drive and their attitude are the only things I care about when it comes to the people I want to race with. How long some one has been driving, how fast they are, what leagues they are in, or what type of driving they like to do has absolutely no bearing on the things I consider imperative.

Yep, you soon learn who are the people that race clean and who are idiots and milage has nothing to do with it.
Dont bother checking my mileage. Im pretty fast but i've been online for only a few occasions, so my online stats sux, lol. As such, i dont look at mileage to judge a player's l33tness.
I rather see on laps and PB`s to depend if it`s a good driver or not. Or, well you canot just by distance judge if it`s a good driver or not, but mostly the veterans that has been here since S1 is pretty good.

Do I care about distance - some
milleage just shows how active and experinced is someone
Quote from N I K I :milleage just shows how active and experinced is someone

True, but you got to look on other factors aswell. Since someone for example have driven 200 000 laps on one track, or the same amount on a cruise server.
of course mate, but i mean if someone has a lot of PB's and only like 5k miles that means he just tried many combos

mileage is important and i care about it because it can tell me some various things in combination with PB laps and laps on specific combos, so it's all stats important for me, not just mileage, even race wins (maybe they the most)
Laps done / oval laps done is a good figure. Never trust anyone if this figure isn't at least 10.
I was just gonna say, mileage on most tracks is a bit different from oval mileage

You can cover thousands of miles in one day in the faster cars, just circling the oval for hours. To accomplish the same thing on circuits where you need brakes and opposite steering lock would take a lot longer
When I was in vMax (the team), I was in charge at one point of recruiting drivers. I only ever looked at mileage once, and it meant nothing.

You can have good drivers worthy of top teams with 10km, or a crap driver you should avoid with 200,000km. Utterly, and totally without meaning.
#16 - Iron
I used to check the hosts joined/finished races ratio.
I don't go online much, but I've spent quite a lot of time mucking around on a mates private server, which doesn't add to the travelled distance stat for some reason. ?
I do think it is has some value to teams recruiting but it isn't the be all and end all. As Tristan put it it really comes down to the driver.
IMO stats can be of some value, if you are a team looking to recruit someone then if they have 1 online race and very slow pb's then I would question how long the have had lfs and if for some time then it suggests they do not race online much. Conversly if someone has 100,000 miles and a pb on nearly every combo within a few tenths of WR times. Mileage alone doesn't mean anything but all the stats together do have some value Though the only true way to see is race them
I'm more and more ashamed that I still suck after having driven some miles.
Wish there were stats for drivers who yield a position and then re-pass on the straight ahead, I want to race with them.
IMO stats are for politicians, but I,m probably wrong in 23% of cases
Quote from spankmeyer :I'm more and more ashamed that I still suck after having driven some miles.

Many that have it that way
Quote from Electrik Kar :I don't go online much, but I've spent quite a lot of time mucking around on a mates private server, which doesn't add to the travelled distance stat for some reason. ?

EK, if the server is set to Hidden, stats will not show up, but if it's set to private, stats will be recorded (if memory serves correctly).
Quote from Iron :I used to check the hosts joined/finished races ratio.

This is good actually, as it shows how consistent they are (ie, they don't wreck the car and so not finish) and will also filter out those who clock up vast distances on the cruise servers, as you can't 'finish' a race on the cruises.
That's true, but it's also misleading. I do a ton of practicing for league races on a public server in 60 minute qual mode. It's also misleading when there are certain people who drive around the oval with only one or two opponents and 3 lap races.
You can do a billion miles in last place, so no mileage does not matter. Its not like we are buying a second hand Vauxhall and want to know at what point in our ownership it will catch fire.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG