The online racing simulator
Oval question: Was it worth to start a ban at me?
Today i was driving on FM oval Starters, because i decided to give ovals a go, and chose the FZR. I wasn't alone, there were a teammate and a couple of other chaps busy at racing.

I was sperimenting (trying settings, is it ok Mazz?^^) with ARB live-settings, as i spun out on the final corner of the 6th lap, IIRC. As you might know, a spinning car isn't exactly easy to control, so it happened what had to happen: some cars drove into me, while i was trying to regain control or at least stop the car, whils trying to reach shift+s, as server rules state that you have to immediately leave the track in case of an accident.

This has been my first spin involving other cars that was completely my fault in this session (i'm not sure on the other one, because i was lightly touched by a car trying to pass me), but luckily there was quite a big gap between me and the field in the first one, so i could get going again.

Immediately after that a ban was started at me, and i left immediately after saying that it wasn't on purpose to take 3 cars out, included mine.

Was this worth banning me?
No, but they are ban-happy, and refuse to acknowledge real racing rules. Having to cope with spinning cars is a skill they can't manage. If you want oval racing (which you might), I'd suggest doing it elsewhere, with your own team.
Ok, thanks, this is a good idea, we've never done an oval challenge...
Does sound harsh, but some folk are like that....

Anyway onto a much more important subject.... sadly "sperimenting ovals" wasn't a googlewhack, believe it or not it got 7 hits !. However i think i have a new favourite word, so thanks for that (seriously, i'm not taking the piss, it's a great word....sperimenting )
Quote from Mazz4200 :Does sound harsh, but some folk are like that....

Anyway onto a much more important subject.... sadly "sperimenting ovals" wasn't a googlewhack, believe it or not it got 7 hits !. However i think i have a new favourite word, so thanks for that (seriously, i'm not taking the piss, it's a great word....sperimenting )

That's what comes out from German+Italian+a_fair_bit_of_english
Quote from tristancliffe :No, but they are ban-happy, and refuse to acknowledge real racing rules. Having to cope with spinning cars is a skill they can't manage. If you want oval racing (which you might), I'd suggest doing it elsewhere, with your own team.

oh really, how would you know? You never join our server and hear-say does not count.

Quote from Fabri91 :Today i was driving on FM oval Starters, because i decided to give ovals a go, and chose the FZR. I wasn't alone, there were a teammate and a couple of other chaps busy at racing.

I was sperimenting (trying settings, is it ok Mazz?^^) with ARB live-settings, as i spun out on the final corner of the 6th lap, IIRC. As you might know, a spinning car isn't exactly easy to control, so it happened what had to happen: some cars drove into me, while i was trying to regain control or at least stop the car, whils trying to reach shift+s, as server rules state that you have to immediately leave the track in case of an accident.

This has been my first spin involving other cars that was completely my fault in this session (i'm not sure on the other one, because i was lightly touched by a car trying to pass me), but luckily there was quite a big gap between me and the field in the first one, so i could get going again.

Immediately after that a ban was started at me, and i left immediately after saying that it wasn't on purpose to take 3 cars out, included mine.

Dont listen to that misguided character. You want to know why?

Quote from tristancliffe :Take it personally then. Driving on the oval takes no skill and is for retards. Without exception.

That speaks for itself.

About your case, im sorry to hear this but since it was a vote ban it only last 24h as far as i know. I would say it was definitively not worth a ban but since i do only have your version of the incident i cannot make a safe statement on that. A replay would be helpful to judge the situation as it really happend but i assume you did not saved it, did you? Anyway, you will find the so called "vote- happy" people at every server and unfortunately we can not exclude ourselfes from that. Our rules are different since the track is different compared to curcuit tracks. Many people do not understand this and i am happy about the fact that everybody can follow their very own matter of taste.

Just in case you think about joining our servers again you would be more then welcome and i think that you will get some better experiences.

www.fragmaster.net
Quote from Fabri91 :Today i was driving on FM oval Starters, because i decided to give ovals a go, and chose the FZR. I wasn't alone, there were a teammate and a couple of other chaps busy at racing.

As tristan said. People who race at FM are very VERY unfair when it comes down to what's "right". I was once banned for just passing a spinning car LOL. It's not really the FM race team members that are bad per say. But the people (or LFS oval racers in general) are very vote ban happy.

Really bad oval racers in LFS cant just seem to get the fact thought their head that THEY ARE BAD DRIVERS. They are just mad that they cant control a race car on circuits so they go on ovals. but when they cant control the cars on ovals either (which is beyond me, but then again i have nascar experience) then they start blaming other people because their ego wont allow them to realize that they need to practice racing offline

I'd say next time to try and be more careful, because for some strange reason the FM servers are the most popular oval server. if you want I can give you a set that'll work (PM me if ur interested)
just because it needs a bit of balance, i've gone on the fm oval a few times after they ran the last beta on an ascot server and i've found them to be a good laugh and quite reasonable and helpfull (especially if you join their voice coms ).

obviously its just a personel experience and i'm sure others have had different experiences but i've had no complaints
Oh, thanks for all the answers.

Replay: yes, i've forgot to save it...
Ohhh, a classic "FM banned me" thread. Isn't that the second most posted one, right after "Redline banned me"?

Now, any arguments about FM or the oval community aside, the General LFS Discussion is not a place to post this, actually the whole forum isn't. If anything, do it here: I got banned. What to do?
In certain times during the year they both get beaten by "Nothing new in LFS for a long time!!!!", though.
the problem is really on lfs, if someone gets ****** off, they start a ban vote. it happenes every day about every five mins in busy servers.

its a shame really, as no one seems to want to either say sorry or give the other guy a chance to say sorry without a ban vote.
Quote from kieran20 :the problem is really on lfs, if someone gets ****** off, they start a ban vote. it happenes every day about every five mins in busy servers.

its a shame really, as no one seems to want to either say sorry or give the other guy a chance to say sorry without a ban vote.

In general, or are you talking specifically oval servers?

I think I can count on my 2 hands how many times a ban/kick vote has been started in my very near 50,000 miles of LFS racing.
Quote from mrodgers :In general, or are you talking specifically oval servers?

I think I can count on my 2 hands how many times a ban/kick vote has been started in my very near 50,000 miles of LFS racing.

If I should count every vote against me... it probally would be more than my driven distance
Quote from The Very End :If I should count every vote against me... it probally would be more than my driven distance

I wasn't talking against me. Just ban/kick votes started in general on anyone in the servers since I started licensed. Very rarely do I see ban/kick votes started.
#17 - th84
/me votes to ban mrodgers 1/10
Press 1 To Ban!!!
Press 1 To Ban!!!
Press 1 To Ban!!!
Whining =
/me votes to ban mrodgers 2/10

/me sends an InSim TINY_VTC to lfsforum.

Vote cancelled.

Nope, no way.

The starters server is a bit of a confusion at the moment though. It started off with BF1 as way to keep the noobs away from the Junkies server but at some point it switched to GTR and stayed that way. It will be fixed though because the naming is confusing.

I don't like to get too much into rules and strategies but I think it is at the least fair to give some indication of what this is about.

First of all: forget everything (almost) you learned about racing. That includes NASCAR, INDY and other oval classes you know of. The way we race on the FM-Oval servers is forced by LFS's aerodynamic modeling which causes a too strong drag reduction when drafting and not enough fall off when leaving the draft. It allows you too clearly overtake the car in front of you, something that, at least to my knowledge, happens in NASCAR but the gain isn't even close so it is almost never used. On the FM-oval it is the only way to win.
So, you need to cooperate to win. Not doing so, or not knowing how to do so, gets you either ditched or caught. Blocking cars that are drafting you is THE way to get banned and not knowing when to overtake is the same as not drafting at all. It'll take a while to learn.

When you need help or answers, you can always join the junkies server when we're there. Just don't expect easy answers because even we still differ in opinion about the best course of action in some specific situations. It's got a lot to do with feeling.
I learnt to race on the oval ages ago. Ask for the best setup, find someone to work with, stay behind them on the last lap, draft them over the line. It only gets hard when theres lots of people, even then its fairly easy if you get past the idiots.

If it was like INDY or NASCAR then you would be able to gain on people even when your not drafting, simply by having a well balanced car or driving better. But in LFS you just put your foot to the floor and turn a few times, lap done.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :I learnt to race on the oval ages ago. Ask for the best setup, find someone to work with, stay behind them on the last lap, draft them over the line. It only gets hard when theres lots of people, even then its fairly easy if you get past the idiots.

If it was like INDY or NASCAR then you would be able to gain on people even when your not drafting, simply by having a well balanced car or driving better. But in LFS you just put your foot to the floor and turn a few times, lap done.

that's because the kyoto oval is a pretty boring track. LFS needs some short tracks.
I don't think Kyoto would be boring if the aero for oval racing was correct. Oval racing at a track like we have would be great fun with a field of FXRs if the aero was correct. None of this draft-pass-draft-pass stuff. If the lead car would get a push from someone drafting, then it would be much better. Imagine 4 lead cars drafting in a line pulling away from the clustered up cars in behind.
Yeh but there is still only one fast line, and you can still go full throttle, either we need a better oval track or proper stock cars built for oval racing. I don't think that will happen for a long time though, since it would put LFS in the firing line of Nascar 2003, nobody wants to try and beat that game, since its probably the best oval racing simulator on the market.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG