The online racing simulator
Hypercar Reasoning
(49 posts, started )
Yes, I have read his profile
I tried so hard not to bring up a specific car, but the reasons for a class of car.... and then chuffff.... the whole suggestion goes back to the pit requests.

Not unexpected tbh

I'm gonna have to borrow someones caterham in real life if bob don't release the subject of his teasin' pronto, and the real world doesn't want that.
Quote from mcintyrej :I would say the LX8 would be based around a Rover V8, but the RV8's are quite heavy.

It's actually a very light engine by GM standards, and formed the basis for the Repco V8 that powered Brabham and Hulme to the '66 and '67 WDCs, although admittedly any likeness to the road engine is pretty tenuous.

Quote :Although a 3.0Litre Rover V8 with a turbocharger would explain the higher RPM power and lower torque output.

As a general rule turbocharged racing cars will rev lower than naturally aspirated versions of the same engine. It certainly isn't Rover or any other pushrod V8 based. Possibly based on one of the bike V8s, though more likely a small purpose built flat plane racing V8.
Quote from ajp71 :Possibly based on one of the bike V8s, though more likely a small purpose built flat plane racing V8.

Agreed. It revs a little too low to be bike based, and the capacity is a touch large. The dp1's V8 (which is bike based) is 2.6 or 2.8 litres, 10k revs and more power.
Zerocool - Sounds like you want an F40.
Ideally yes, that and a reventon. But LFS doesn't and won't have licensed cars. So I'd like them to come up with something comparable in driving physics! (and make it look effing great, in their own way.)
Quote from z3r0c00l :Ideally yes, that and a reventon. But LFS doesn't and won't have licensed cars. So I'd like them to come up with something comparable in driving physics! (and make it look effing great, in their own way.)

Actually it does!
I don't consider the MRT a car, it's more like a segway.

The RAC was built by students... being a student myself, I know 90% of the work was done in the 1% of time leading up to the release... hence skipping the front arb :P

The BF1 is as good as formula1 - enough said there.

I meant licenses from companies with a legal team big enough to enforce the need for one, and that aren't FIA tampered.
Quote from z3r0c00l :The RAC was built by students... being a student myself, I know 90% of the work was done in the 1% of time leading up to the release... hence skipping the front arb :P

Rear.
Zerocool, yes, an F40.. The same way LFS needed a Porsche before the FZ showed up.
I'm pretty sure there's an even better car to fit your criteria, but can't recall it off-hand... It's from the 80-90s...

Found this, somewhat off topic..
IMO though, I think what LFS needs most is something different. If it's going to be a hypercar, then it'd be very cool to have it fit into the existing classes. I can't think of any hypercars that'd fit in the LRF class, but the fitting into the GTR would probably be easy enough. The more cars exist in a single class, the denser the performance distribution cloud.
It would also be very cool for it to have a big NA engine, not yet another inline 4 turbo. It would definitely best be a rear mid-engine car.
Quote from Breizh :Found this, somewhat off topic..
IMO though, I think what LFS needs most is something different. If it's going to be a hypercar, then it'd be very cool to have it fit into the existing classes.

Sorry but a supercar just don't fit into current classes.

Quote from Breizh :I can't think of any hypercars that'd fit in the LRF class, but the fitting into the GTR would probably be easy enough.

Imho, the supercar class cars (more than just a F40 ) should not be made into GTR models; to race in same class with the current GTRs. The current GTR class is more like a GT2 class, we need the more powerful GT1 class and the prototypes. Then we can start talking about real GT racing . Maybe add a mid-engine car into the current GTR class but not one made of hypercar.

Of course the F40 is just an example. Maybe the supercar class could consist of three cars with different abilitities. Then make a GT1 class out of them... It would be nice if the cars looked even slightly the same age. Not like the XRR '82, FXR '90 and FZR '95...
Quote from Hyperactive :Sorry but a supercar just don't fit into current classes.

Imho, the supercar class cars (more than just a F40 ) should not be made into GTR models; to race in same class with the current GTRs. The current GTR class is more like a GT2 class, we need the more powerful GT1 class and the prototypes. Then we can start talking about real GT racing . Maybe add a mid-engine car into the current GTR class but not one made of hypercar.

Of course the F40 is just an example. Maybe the supercar class could consist of three cars with different abilitities. Then make a GT1 class out of them... It would be nice if the cars looked even slightly the same age. Not like the XRR '82, FXR '90 and FZR '95...

I like the idea too, but at the average rate of new car releases in LFS, that would just mean something like another year with one more underpopulated car class that may or may not need balancing... I'd rather have more variety in the existing classes before that happens. e.g. an RWD F-GTR like an old Fiat500, also in road trim to race against the UF1, and a non-4cyl turbo for the TBOs, a muscle car for the LRFs, both of these two with a GTR version, as well as an RAC-GTR.
I wouldn't prefer this scenario over the exotic+LMP by a lot, but the same old all 4 banger TBO class, the 2 car F-GTR and the LRF and GTR classes, to a lesser degree, are getting a little old as they are now. I think adding to those classes would make for more novelty than a brand new couple of cars in their own class.

Would prototype cars really be that different to race than what we already have?
Until the engine model is complete, and the turbo model (and concequently the sound... wicked) I don't think the engines would make as much of a difference as we'd like. I do agree though, I'm bored of 4 cylinders and untill the turbo is properly modelled, not sooo interested in turbo-chargers. Every hat wearing bean-can exhaust cheese eating surrender monkey-wagon is barreling around with a 4 cyl rasping away - saxo, clio, fiesta, corsa, 106... That's part of the reason I bought an I6. I was bored of the Astra (4 cyl 8v) and the Mazda (4cly 16v).

As far as concept cars go, look at the veyron W-16 quad-turbo... that's gotta be interesting to drive! I can't think of any car we've got at the moment with that weight, drivetrain and amazing fuel consumption!

Same goes for muscle cars - 5.7 litre NA V8, brilliant engine, sounds amazing. I think we'd need 4 speed automatic gearboxes (not just a computer operating a manual) though to make it authentic. EDIT SCRAP THAT 3 speed automatics or 4 speed manuals. (there you go captain america :P) If you wanted to add a class to compete with that I'd say you'd have to go for one of the supercharged german jobbies. "Massive power and no weight vs. modern suspension, but more weight"

I know these are not "race" cars as such, but, that does not mean they wouldn't be amazingly fun to drive.

I also think multi-class racing is a bit over-rated. While it was really important to balance the GTR & Turbo classes (because they really were designed to run as classes), I feel trying to make everything fit into a class kind of silly, many of the best actual racing I've watched is when the cars are all the same. Clio cup is a good watch, for example, and a lot of fun to drive, despite the naffness of WWD (wrong wheel drive).
#41 - Tege
Quote from z3r0c00l :The RAC was built by students... being a student myself, I know 90% of the work was done in the 1% of time leading up to the release... hence skipping the front arb :P

Nothing to do with time. Raceabout project started 1998 and the rear was recently redesigned and there is still no rear arb.
Quote from Tege :rear was recently redesigned and there is still no rear arb.

Read: They resprayed it a bit, and added some filler

Bloody students
Quote from z3r0c00l :Same goes for muscle cars - 5.7 litre NA V8, brilliant engine, sounds amazing. I think we'd need 4 speed automatic gearboxes (not just a computer operating a manual) though to make it authentic. If you wanted to add a class to compete with that I'd say you'd have to go for one of the supercharged german jobbies. "Massive power and no weight vs. modern suspension, but more weight"

Scrap your "need 4 speed automatic gearbox ... to make it authentic." Musclecars would have been, first, 3 speed automatics or second, 4 speed manuals when driven on the track. There were many musclecars sent out from the production line with 4 speed manual boxes.
I don't think we need more cars to add to each class, maybe just one car for the uf1.

We need an F40 or 50. And a muscle car. Just like Zerocool said, multi-class racing is overrated. Best racing comes from single car races. Only exception is the XRG and XFG.

LOL, here is the car LFS should have with the UF1...although maybe a big slow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=patvUFyIa1I&NR=1
I would bet blindfolded that single car classes instead of more cars per class would hurt more than benefit LFS. Having more cars per class doesn't stop people from having one-car races. Win-win.
I do think that multi-class races GT1+GT2 is no fun for now, firstmost because we don't have enough room for enough cars, and we don't have enough endurance races.
True.
The problem with multi-class races is that the cars you race have to have certain specs.
If we develop the GTR's or TBO's, then the new cars have to be the same as the old ones.
When the devs release a new car I want it to be different, such as the F40
then after a while they could release a new car again that makes it and the F40 into a new class.

I guess I didn't mean multi-class racing is over rated, I more ment the classes we have now are.

I was just thinking about variety. What would be easier and more fun, have one car from each racing type. Then later building new cars to make new multi-classes. Or focusing on one or two classes and building three cars. The cars may look different but they still have the same power and so on.

My personal opinion is I'd rather have variety over quantity.
10 cars from all different classes rather than 10 cars from 4 different classes.
Quote from Breizh :It would also be very cool for it to have a big NA engine, not yet another inline 4 turbo.

no chance for a lotus esprit then? :weeping:

If you want the coolest cars from a decade or two ago, just take every car that Test Drive 1 and 2 offered.

Quote from z3r0c00l :
As for the class system - looks like an f40 thingy might fit in with the lx8 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5br4CNrNwM&NR=1

(is that a special add-on for kyoto?? )

you could always race the XFG against the F40 (I wonder how it'd be called in LFS): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXtmILKF1mg
Reading all of this i kept thinking on hyper-cars that have no nanny aids and are true hyper cars. I had only three cars in mind.

Mclaren F1 (Long live understeer)
Porsche Carrera GT (anyone who saw TopGear knows that it's a b!tch)
Zonda F (Brilliant)

That selection seems very balanced. For christ sake, just give us some v8s, v10s and v12s, even though with the sound engine we have right now, they would all probably sound dull...

Just K
Selfish wish
Muscle car for the LRF class.... And a GTR version

Hypercar Reasoning
(49 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG