The online racing simulator
Race car colour Q
(20 posts, started )
Race car colour Q
Hi all. Another question from me about race cars.

Has there ever been one colour that has been used by a team/constructor continuously in a series.

I was talking about this with a friend last night and the only one we could come up with was Ferrari (1965-2007?)

DK
#2 - Bean0
Didn't Ferrari change to a more brighter red colour a few years ago ?
Yep they've been through plenty of shades of red, especially in the last 10 years. The only other team I can think of keeping the same colour throughout would be that Renault's F1 cars have always had a lot of yellow on them.
Quote from count.bazley :Renault's F1 cars have always had a lot of yellow on them.

If you consider these Renault (esp. 1st one)
Attached images
960004med.jpg
Williams Renault F1 1997 (Villeneuve) 2.JPG
Nope they're a Benetton and Williams.
Not sure really - I think Mercedes teams always had some silver prominent on them in every series they've raced in.

Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :BAR??

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wi ... alifying_at_USGP_2005.jpg

Well, in the confines of a few years of F1 then one could say that Jaguar Racing was consistent as well. However in other series, Jaguar was not green - like their XJR's being rather purple with the Silk Cut livery.

I think the OP was more referring to a scheme that goes through multiple series, not just F1. Which would really limit it to large manufacturers if you really think about it.
Ferrari started as yellow!

Mercedes isn't a team anymore!
Quote from Thorvertonian :Mercedes isn't a team!

They used to be for quite a long time and they compete in other series apart from F1 (DTM, Group C, sportscar racing, etc) always, afaik, sporting either a full silver or part-silver livery. Which obviously influenced the McLaren livery for the past few years.
yes, you're quite right, they used to be in it before it was called Formula One, and yes they always had a silver livery
Quote from count.bazley :Yep they've been through plenty of shades of red, especially in the last 10 years. The only other team I can think of keeping the same colour throughout would be that Renault's F1 cars have always had a lot of yellow on them.

They've changed it from Ferari-red in Marlborro-red. But that was a long time ago
Quote from Thorvertonian :yes, you're quite right, they used to be in it before it was called Formula One, and yes they always had a silver livery

Mercedes dominated Formula One in '54/55 with the W196 before pulling out of motorsport following Le Mans.
Jaguar only raced in primarily BRG whilst in Formula One, though their sportscars entered in a variety of schemes depending on sponsors.
I can't remember Toyota running anything other than their red and white livery either.
Toyota (afaik) ran a blue and white livery in the Group C days

DK
Mercedes has used Silver on just about all factory cars in major championships/races IIRC.

Going back to older F1, Ferrari was always red (though the shade has changed a LOT, including that damned ugly florescent red they ran for several years) Lotus was British Racing Green until 1968 when the Gold Leaf scheme came into play (Curse you, Chapman for ruining the traditional colours!!!) Honda was white, Cooper was also BRG IIRC, BRM was Black for several years (I think), Eagle was blue and white, McLaren was orange.

That's about all the major teams I can think of off the top of my head.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Nah, they used 555 livery in Asia sometimes, messed around with the livery on Davidson's car on Fridays quite a lot, and IIRC when they initially entered F1 they had a livery that was Lucky Strike on one side and 555 on the other. The FIA made them change it.

I thought the whole reason they had the split livery was because they wanted two different looking cars, one 555 and one Lucky Strike, but the FIA wouldn't allow that. Having the split was fine.
Toyota has had the same livery in F1 all the time haven't they? :P
Quote from spookthehamster :I thought the whole reason they had the split livery was because they wanted two different looking cars, one 555 and one Lucky Strike, but the FIA wouldn't allow that. Having the split was fine.

That's what I thought too. Can't find any reference though.
I think the split looks pretty frikking hilariously cool TBH.
That 555 reminds about Subaru... has it been using this distinctive blue-yellow livery since it's debut in WRC? In 1990 there was a car with white livery but was that a factory livery?

Only thing that has changed is the colour (besides the 555 logo), only little bit to somewhat neon greenish instead of pure yellow.

Race car colour Q
(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG