The online racing simulator
Another Overclocking post, Geforce 6200
Ok since ive established my procceser isnt going to overclock to well, im thinking of my graphics card, (geforce 6200), Will overclocking this thing get me much improvement whatssoever or is it not worth the risks of overheating with my standard cooling system since the 6200 dosnt have its own built in fan.

Cheers.
#2 - Jakg
Passive Cooling = Not usually a good idea.

Can you monitor the temperature on the card? If so it might just be ok to try it.
I see your birthday is coming up in a few weeks. Why not just buy the mobo, CPU and ram that you were looking at in the other thread, and then somehow get your parents to get you a decent card for your birthday? That way you get 10x the performance you were getting, and avoid the hassle and danger of overclocking
6200 ain't only down in GPU and memory frequencies, but it's also seriously handicapped by having only 4 pipelines and low memory bandwidht (64 or 128bit)

Also:
Quote :There is one other architectural difference between the 6200 and the rest of the GeForce 6 family, and that is the lack of any color or z-compression support in the memory controller. Color and Z-compression are wonderful ways of reducing the memory bandwidth overhead of enabling technologies such as anti-aliasing. So, without support for that compression, we can expect the 6200 to take a bigger hit when turning on AA and anisotropic filtering.

NVIDIA's GeForce 6200 & 6600 non-GT: Affordable Gaming
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2238

Hmm ill look into this, And again like in all my other hardware posts

Thanks alot for you help
Ok...ive just used nsampler to stick my settings to pritty much totaly maxxed out...including HDR i did about half a lap on lfs at about 16-20fps...came back and im when i was looking at my Gpu heat it was 79Degrees... after half a lap... im guessing it would be an idea to lower these settings?
Lol, yea - I don't think 80 degrees is great. But then again, if I'm not mistaken, the new 8800s run at about those temps.

But those are also designed for that temp - I'm fairly certain that your card is not supposed to get that hot.

I think the best solution is to just run it like you were running it, and just use that as incentive to upgrade your hardware little by little
No point in beating a dead horse, if you know what I mean... There's only so much you can do before you really just have to look at spending a little $$$
Okies Cheers, back to pritty standard settings now, moved down to mid/high settings on lfs aswell Thanks for all your help...
#9 - Jakg
75-80 is about the most i'd recommend for a 6 and 7-series card, the 8800's are rated for a fair bit more, but they are substantially different cards.

BTW - it's nHancer, and LFS doesn't use HDR so i don't know how you did that.
Well i just stuck it on and my fps dropped to 16/20 from the 30 from following your guide so im not sure either Meh, Cheers

EDIT: Nsampler was a kind of not thinking typo thingy, I wasnt thinking about it when i wrote it :P

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG