The online racing simulator
Router problems
(16 posts, started )
Router problems
Hi. I recently got my pc wiped and xp reloaded due to damage caused by a bad virus it caught. Now i am having problems with my linksys Router (model number WAG354G) it seems my computer will not automaticaly detect my DNS server adress or my defalt gateway as it allways did before this means i cannot use broadband and dial up sucks. The connection works fine on my playstation 3 and my dads laptop and they both use this router so its defitenly a problem with my computer any ideas or help would be great

Thanks
Ciaran
In your network settings, have you made sure that your PC is set up for DHCP? That is if the router uses that and you havent manually assigned IP's...
i had this problem, i had to install a driver for my motherboard, if this doesn't help, sorry

Good luck on getting it working Ciaran
#4 - Jakg
Quote from harjun :i had this problem, i had to install a driver for my motherboard, if this doesn't help, sorry

Good luck on getting it working Ciaran

I know your trying to help, but that... doesn't

I must say thats odd though - i had the EXACT same driver issue with the versions on the CD being newer than the ones on their website, and the website ones killing my connection on my P5K

Quote from dj-fluxsa :Hi. I recently got my pc wiped and xp reloaded due to damage caused by a bad virus it caught. Now i am having problems with my linksys Router (model number WAG354G) it seems my computer will not automaticaly detect my DNS server adress or my defalt gateway as it allways did before this means i cannot use broadband and dial up sucks. The connection works fine on my playstation 3 and my dads laptop and they both use this router so its defitenly a problem with my computer any ideas or help would be great

Thanks
Ciaran

If it can't pick up the DNS stuff, try doing this...

Go to Control Panel>Network Connections>Right Click on your network card>Properties>Click "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" and click "Properties".

If it's set to "Obtain Automatically" on the IP and DNS then you need to configure it manually, if it's set to manual set it to Obtain Automatically.

To configure it manually...

First line - the IP adress you want (on the same subnet as your current router - ie if your router was 192.168.1.1, then you'd set yours to 192.168.1.whatever - try something high like 111 jsut to be on the safe side (needs to be between 0-255, and can't be in use, though).

Second Line - Leave at 255.255.255.0

Third Line - IP of your router.

DNS - either set this to your routers IP, or use OpenDNS
Jak g i love u thanks so much to lfs i go thanks m8
Since his problem is solved, I'd just like to ask something: Is it better to use OpenDNS or my ISP DNS?
also, my internet connnection is quite intersting, i keep timing out in LFS after about 30 seconds, but internet explorer is always fine, and runs reallly fast, i use wireless, downloaded all my latest drivers for the wireless card, am quite close to the Wireless air station, i really dont see the problem, if anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated, thankyou
#8 - Jakg
If your ISP DNS works, use that - if it doesn't, or gives you issues, then use OpenDNS.

I've found no obvious difference between either, other than the fact that when using OpenDNS firefox wont google a URL if you just type the word into the Adress bar.
Harjun, maybe it's an old wireless card? They're known to drop connections regularly. I use wireless as well, a new router and a new laptop, and it hasn't dropped the connection yet, even in my basement.
but it isn't that old, well, i picked up the cheapest one, £15, and it had about..200 reviews and a 5 star rating i dunno, i think ill move the wireless station in my room
Yea that's probably the best idea, there could be other things in your house which can interfere with the signals, such as cordless phones. Pretty much anything which operates at 2.4 GHz can interfere.
oh yeh, the cordless phone, also, i have an infrared mouse which is at 2.4Ghz i think aswell
-
(Renku) DELETED by Renku
Damn now i cannot connect to master server for some reason ?
fixed it
Quote from harjun :oh yeh, the cordless phone, also, i have an infrared mouse which is at 2.4Ghz i think aswell

Cordless phone could be causing interference or even some similiar devices owned by your neighbours that operate on same frequency as your WLAN. Althought I'd say it's very unlikely that this is causing your problems, there should be an option in your WLAN station/router's configuration interface to set WLAN operate on different channel which should fix interference problems.

Based on my experience on WLANs, most problems are caused by those poorly designed and cheap wireless stations. Home WLAN systems are not that old yet and your best bet to avoid any possible conflicts with uncompatible hardware is to go for some decent and well known manufacturers.

...However, I highly doubt that your infrared mouse is able to cause problems with your wireless network.
Netgear is a well known manafacturer right? my dad said go for D-Link but i couldn't find any d-link stuff

Router problems
(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG