The online racing simulator
Xbox 360 questions
(13 posts, started )
Xbox 360 questions
Just 2 simple Q's, have tried to register at an xbox360 forum, but not getting the activation emails, so I thought I would ask here........

1) Do I NEED a (overpriced) memory card to save games, or is there any chance the 360 can use a USB "pendrive" as a memory card?

2) Is there any chance that I can connect the 360 via Cat5 to a WAP and use wi-fi, rather than buying a (overpriced) xbox360 wi-fi adaptor (or wrapping the house in Cat5 cable, rented house, can't drill holes in walls/ceilings etc etc)

Cheers
Not used a 360 myself, so don't have a clue about point 1, but if it puts packet on the network, they should use any bit of networking kit you own.
That what I was thinking, in that case, maybe it will use a boggo standard wi-fi dongle adaptor?, I am CERTAINLY not shelling out 50 notes for a bloody 360 one.....
Which 360 are you getting? Premium? Core? The Premium comes with a 20GB HDD that you can save all your stuff on, the core doesn't. As for a USB stick I know you can save music onto it and play it back, but i'm not sure about saving games. I think it could be done, but if It would then there would be no need for these game saving devices that cheat companys make so you can share your gamesaves.
I got a basic (core I think) package free as part of my mobile phone deal, so it's just the stripped down, nothing much in the box pack.......
Quote from danowat :I got a basic (core I think) package free as part of my mobile phone deal, so it's just the stripped down, nothing much in the box pack.......

Too bad. You could sell it and buy one of those proper models with HD, because the Core version is useless basically for anything.
HD? you mean HD output? because (it would seem) the pack I have has HD output, was playing PGR4 last night in 720i
HD=Hard drive in this case I think.

and you can buy the hard drive seperately, which would be worth while as you won't be able to download any demos or patches without one, so also can't play online without a hard drive.

You can't use a USB stick to save games onto, you will need the memory cards (can buy cheap ones) but the hard drive is definetly the best option

You can use 2 waps and put them in bridge mode to get wireless on the 360, but you can't plug any old dongle into it, it simply won't work!
Quote from Thorvertonian :so also can't play online without a hard drive.

Really? bloody hell, bit of a nightmare this xbox lark........
I'm not sure if it's every game, but games need the latest patches to connect online, and this needs a hard drive.

This is annoying! you also have to pay the yearly fee to play games online, although only £40, it still £40 you shouldn't have to pay!!!!!
The 60GB version avaible at £51.75 from play.com......
TBH, I would have never gotten a 360 if it weren't for it being a freebie, I am certainly not going to chuck any money at it when I can race LFS for free!!!!.

Looks pretty though
I can't help with the problems, but as far as I know you can't use a pen drive as an actual drive. MP3 players will plug in so you can use your own music in games, but I think that's as far as it goes.

I've got a 20Gb drive though and never even come close to filling it. So if you can get one of them cheap (and it will be now with the 120Gb drive now out) it's worth grabbing.

Wifi I don't know about, but chances are if they want you to buy their licensed hardware it'll be enforced by the OS. I'm glad I nicked a really long network cable from work that reaches round the edge of our living room

Xbox 360 questions
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG