Quote from Gabkicks :yeah i doubt there's tire deformation..

LFS seems to be the only game to have it. you'd figure simbin would have caught on by now
Quote from spyshagg :enable clutch etc...

There's no clutch model in the game

In that video the guy is doing it because he's also PC simmer and he's just used to do it.
Quote from deggis :There's no clutch model in the game

In that video the guy is doing it because he's also PC simmer and he's just used to do it.

yes i saw him say that in the comments.
Quote from PaulC2K :Actually, you'd probably be the stupid one for thinking that, only on the basis that people expect the best looking graphics on a next-gen console, most people couldnt give two hoots about deforming tyres and would never give it a moments thought.

You'd be barking up the wrong tree really, console games arent about being exact replicas of reality, they need to appeal to a wide audience, spending so much time on something 99% of those people wouldnt appreciate is stupid. Maybe the die hard sim racing fan wont consider it, but then whats new there, the sim community is tiny compared to general gaming and lets be honest, the sim community is pretty arrogant and up its own backside anyway.

I think if you are going to make a game like GT5 where you focus on making the game look very nice and detailed, the least they could do is make deformable tyres. Every screenshot from GT5 looks nice but it is ruined by the poor contact the car has with the road. I don't know if you have to be a hardcore simmer to stop that or whether the average arcade joe would spot it aswell. They don't necessarily need to go down into the tyre physics to make them behave in a real way, all they have to do is make sure there is movement and deformation on the tyre. I am sure it wouldn't be that difficult to implement for them with their huge team of people who work on GT5. It would make their screenshots look so much better.

If 99% of people don't think tyre deformation is important then hmmm I don't think i am the stupid one!!! It is just one of those details that is needed in any driving game be it sim or arcade. It claims to the real driving simulator, nuff said!

edit: btw i am not slagging off GT5 if you think I am!

mad
Gran Turismo 5 will have at least one decent feature!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7059887.stm

From the article:

"We're sure that players will be as thrilled as we are when they get the chance to put their own driving skills to the test on the Top Gear Test Track in GT5, as well as enjoying classic episodes of Top Gear via GT TV," said Kazunori Yamauchi, president of the game's developers Polyphony Digital, in a statement.
There will come a time when graphics won't be as important as they are now. People are already becoming blasé with the gfx of next gen titles. Especially when GT5 already looks so good, I figure companies will be compelled to start looking at other elements of their games, in the hope of moving forward and making sales.

I see no reason why people would choose to react negatively to more advanced physics and handling. There's even a quote somewhere by the guy who made RBR that goes along the lines of 'as physics get better cars will become easier to drive'. Better physics means the game looks better as well, so even the most superficial gamer wired for eye candy should appreciate an improved physics model.

Just my two cents, but I like to remind myself that not everyone knows about LFS (and similar hardcore sims) - the marketing for these is much less aggressive, so people may simply presume that the latest console racer (with their relatively reduced feature lists) is the best on the market.
Which will obviously make it worth buying rather than watching on YouTube or downloading a torrent

As someone said on another forum, it would be better if it just linked features to the cars so if you choose a car you can see what the Top Gear lads said about it.
Quote from Dajmin :
it would be better if it just linked features to the cars so if you choose a car you can see what the Top Gear lads said about it.

Or see how they destroyed it.
Quote from deggis :There's no clutch model in the game

there might be in the fulll game. at least i read somewhere that there was going to be...
Quote from Monkeymike :"We're sure that players will be as thrilled as we are when they get the chance to put their own driving skills to the test on the Top Gear Test Track in GT5...[/I]

Which I might add, did not go down to well with the guys here. I'll let you guess why.
Quote from Bob Smith :Which I might add, did not go down to well with the guys here. I'll let you guess why.

Clarkson, the NSX at Leguna Seca?
Vaguely irrellevent to the current direction this thread is heading but...
Quote :A partnership has been announced today between the BBC and Sony, in collaboration with Polyphony Digital. The partnership will allow Polyphony Digital to distribute forty episodes of the hit UK car show Top Gear as part of the Gran Turismo TV service. GT TV will launch on the PlayStation Network in 2008 as an online car television channel for motor enthusiasts.

Not only that, but a new level based on the Top Gear test track will also be included in Gran Turismo 5. Certainly, car enthusiasts should be excited by this announcement. Top Gear is a great piece of entertainment, even if you're not a huge fan of motoring. Having free downloadable episodes for the PS3 sounds great to us.

Nice

Madman_CZ: No, i understand that, i can appreciate everyone can see weaknesses in thing they like just as much as things they dont like, it just means they're not pretending everything is perfect I agree with what your saying, everything should be replicated, but the obvious things will always take precedence because the average person puts more value to it.
'Real Simulator' will always be something that gets pointed out though, damage is usually the first reason that gets brought up, but i guess you just have to accept you cant always get everything how you want it. Considering it an aspect that is widely requested rather than just the minority wanting it, its one of the few things they've yet to do that really is an important aspect. All the excuses seem a little lame to me, none convince me of anything other than the fact that they cant do it properly, originally it was the fault of the car manufacturers, then it moved onto 'the ps2 isnt powerful enough to calculate the splash damage and we want thousands of bits all over the track, we want it to be real' type excuse and they've used a bit of both this time round. Polyphony must watch glass car racing as i dont recall that many times where big crashes have sent considerable small peices of car all over the track, typically its large chunks or reasonably sized bits, never splinters.
But still, theres plenty of things that have been done to the best of their ability, not 100% perfect, and they've been happy with it, why does this 1 aspect suddenly require perfection on no-go.
I personally think that tyre deformation is more important than damage. Damage to cars doesn't happen 100% of the time in GT, it only happens when a player make a mistake or cars rub sides or collide so this feature isn't in my eyes that important. Sure it would be nice to see metal twist, glass fly, and bits scattered everywhere but that satisfaction only last few seconds before the player hits the restart button. The aim isn't really to crash either

But the deformable tyres are an important detail, you spend 100% of the time racing on tyres so they are quite important and you would expect them to look real as possible which includes shape variation. The car models in GT are terrific, detail is incredible but static tyres are not and I just felt it is a let down. Sure GT has many great things about it but it also has a few things that really irritate you (or me )

I don't expect GT to be perfect, i mean nothing can never be perfect but little details that are quite important when it comes to racing it misses.

Does GT5 at least have wet weather racing?
Quote from Dajmin :Which will obviously make it worth buying rather than watching on YouTube or downloading a torrent

Or actually watching it on the TV
Supposedly yeah it will have wet weather, whether thats in online as well is another matter, but its one of the features thats been mentioned as being included in GT5 proper.
I was looking for a screenshot but couldn't find one so it made me wonder whether they have taken it out. I can imagine the wet race screenshots will look amazing!
Quote from Bob Smith :Which I might add, did not go down to well with the guys here. I'll let you guess why.

My guess is that you wanted to make a version of the Top Gear track, and Sony bought the rights (hope not). Either that or you are making a Top Gear game?
Quote from Gabkicks :there might be in the fulll game. at least i read somewhere that there was going to be...

Yeah, just like damage and the other 100 things they've promised but never delivered...
Well, there was wet racing in GT4 already. On one track, with no drying up racing line. But it was more shiny than the other tracks and mroe slipepry ^^
#70 - Jakg
Grip = 0.5
Track Shine = 2.5

Does NOT equal wet racing.
I'm not involved in that project, but from what I've overheard, that game is/was going to have it, now it will look like we'll be copying GT5.
gran turismo's always had the test track so that was pretty much an oval... just an enormous one.
I love going on the test track with the old carriage thing
will it be on the xbox 360?

Gran Turismo 5: Prologue Demo out on saturday
(108 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG