The online racing simulator
Name the new Alfa Romeo, win a car !
(29 posts, started )
Since I cannot enter the competition (obviously)..... meh I think the only way to have any slight bit of a chance in winning is with an Italian name for the Alfa...

Alfa Romeo Meraviglioso (delightful to the senses)

A mouthful, but so what, it's beautiful
Alfa Romeo "Bit Like a Cross Between an RX-7 and the new Civic with a Dose of New Astra Thrown In" is more of a mouthful
Quote from Tweaker :Alfa Romeo Meraviglioso (delightful to the senses)

How about, Alfa Mera, Alfa Meravi, Alfa Vigliso or Alfa Liso ? not bad.

Quote from Tweaker : A mouthful, but so what, it's beautiful

Alfa BlowJob

Quote from Dajmin :Alfa Romeo "Bit Like a Cross Between an RX-7 and the new Civic with a Dose of New Astra Thrown In" is more of a mouthful

How bout the "Alfa BuggerOffyouheathenKiltwearingHaggisEatingPassionlessGingerJimmyAuchEyeTheNoo" Purely a joke, dont take any offense, i'm 90% Scottish too

This is harder than i imagined, the best i can come up with are Alfa Julienne, Alfa Balzano, Alfa Velto, Alfa Ariete, Alfa Nardi, Alfa Caccio, and my fave, the Alfa Bresso.

Apologies to any Italian speakers if any of the above are swear words, i've absolutely no idea what any of them mean ?
Balzano - With white markings
Ariete - Ram
Caccio - I hunt
(presso - near)
Mera - mere
Is there an Italian name for Fugly?

Just judging by the concept sketches posted at the 2nd link.
The page says the first part of the competition is already over, so don't bother guys. :P
Quote from Blackout :The page says the first part of the competition is already over, so don't bother guys. :P

Oopsy, never noticed that.

They didn't have the entries open for long, the TG link is dated 2nd Oct !
Alfa Romeo

Aria (Italian for air)
Vento (Italian for wind)
Cielo (Italian for sky)
Tempesta (Italian for storm)

hmm... I like the sound of Vento, kinda really sounds like a car. Let me put that in a sentence to see how it sounds "Did you see the new Alfa Romeo Vento?". Yep, that works
There already is a VW Vento.

:ices_rofl
Fine then Niko, why not we have Alfa Romeo Noble.
Quote from Highsider9 :There already is a VW Vento.

Was that a serious comment? Because I see a ROFL in the post after yours...

This is getting a bit ridiculous. Why can't the idiot manufacturers (of everything, not just cars) just call the damn things the same in all areas of the world. If you are serious with calling that VW a Vento, that is a Jetta over here.

All I want is to understand what people are talking about here and other areas to understand what I'm talking about when I'm on the US based forums.

Though, it was funny on my Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute forum when I saw someone post "I just wish Ford would get with it and offer us the Mondeo like they do overseas..." Ha ha, the Mondeo is the Ford Fusion! But your fusion in the UK is some SUV type thing, which I now see is the Taurus for us, which is what the Fusion changed into! Hatchbacks? We don't even have them from Ford anymore, looking at their website. We use to have the Focus, which is what you get as the Fiesta. Our Fiesta hasn't been in production since the 80's or so. I'm in love with your Focus, that thing looks like it would be a hot ride, especially the ST. Sadly, we don't even have this "american" manufacturer's car available here in "America".

So, whoever names it or whatever Alfa does, at least call the damn thing the same everywhere it is available at!!!!!
NO offense to you Rodgers, but it is because Americans are a bit.... well a bit special... You couldn't handle the word Golf, for a car,... it was too confuseing, so you called it a Rabbit......................
just like you(America) called a Mitsubishi Stallion, a Mitsubishi Starion.
Quote from mrodgers :Why can't the idiot manufacturers (of everything, not just cars) just call the damn things the same in all areas of the world. If you are serious with calling that VW a Vento, that is a Jetta over here.

I think the Vento and Jetta are 2 different models, albeit very similar looking (unless the Jetta was renamed as Vento.. a possibility I guess, I haven't seen a new Jetta since the mk2 shape).

Regards,

Ian
I'm going to ignore BlueFlame's comments because he is beginning to become just like the arrogant asses that he initially argued with in the oval threads.....

Quote from Ian.H :I think the Vento and Jetta are 2 different models, albeit very similar looking (unless the Jetta was renamed as Vento.. a possibility I guess, I haven't seen a new Jetta since the mk2 shape).

Well, that picture is indeed a mk3 Jetta (1992-1998) which is very very much similar to the mk2 Jetta (1985-1991). The mk1 was the VW Fox, which is now some little deathtrap hatchback available to you guys.
Quote from mrodgers :Why can't the idiot manufacturers (of everything, not just cars) just call the damn things the same in all areas of the world.

It's a nice idea but we run into a few problems with some of the translations though:

The Rolls Royce Silver Shadow when translated into Japanese means "pissing in the wind"
The Ford Pinto when translated into certain Portuguese dialects means "small penis"
The Honda Jazz was first called the Fitta, which is slang for "female genitalia" in Scandinavia
The Chevrolet El Camino means "I Walk" in Spanish
The Mitsubishi Pajero is Spanish for "Wanker"
And Volvo means "I roll" in Latin

Consider yourselfs lucky - we get the Toyota Emina.

Whilst I feel that most japanese vehicles are s#!^boxes it's unusual for a manufacturer to agree.
Then you've got all those strange names used mainly by Japanese Manufacturers:

Daihatsu Cube
Daihatsu Naked
Daihatsu Rugger
Honda Joy Machine
Honda Mysterious Utility
Honda That's
Mazda Bongo
Mazda Bravo Exceed
Mitsubishi Canter Guts
Mitsubishi Fighter Mignon
Nissan Homy
Nissan Vanette
Suzuki Every
Subaru Impreza Gravel Express
Toyota Coaster
Toyota Picnic

And my favourite,
The Mitsubishi Super Great FP-R Ultra Economical Motorway Tractor

Quote :The Ford Pinto when translated into certain Portuguese dialects means "small penis"

Very fitting. You'd have to be someone of that description to go out and buy one of those things back then. (that is an old car, no longer sold at least over here. You'd have to be a real geek to buy one of those)

Quote :The Honda Jazz was first called the Fitta, which is slang for "female genitalia" in Scandinavia

This is the Honda Fit here. Again, very good name since it would be all you could do to fit in that little tiny deathtrap. You would probably have to upgrade from the Pinto after that was discontinued and buy a Honda Fit, since you would have the anatomy size to actually fit in the Fit.

Quote :The Chevrolet El Camino means "I Walk" in Spanish

"I Walk", in a Chevrolet? How do they come up with names that describe cars so well? Though I'd put that name to any Chevrolet, not just a certain model. I haven't driven a Chevy yet that I didn't have to walk at some point in time.

Quote :The Mitsubishi Pajero is Spanish for "Wanker"

Hmm, an actual truck based 4WD SUV from the 80's. Wanker might not have been a good name back then, but then the late 90's came and every wanker on the block was buying the huge 8 mpg SUVs to drive by themselves commuting to work every day.

I'll skip the Rolls Royce and the Volvo. Can't think of anything for those.

Quote from Ian.H :I think the Vento and Jetta are 2 different models, albeit very similar looking (unless the Jetta was renamed as Vento.. a possibility I guess, I haven't seen a new Jetta since the mk2 shape).

Regards,

Ian

They name both the Vento AND the Bora as the Jetta in America, they just can't handle all the vocab.
Quote from mrodgers :I'll skip the Rolls Royce and the Volvo. Can't think of anything for those.

I had a Volvo 340 a few years back, it's the closest thing you'll ever get to sailing on tarmac

As for the "RollsRoyce Pissing in the wind", just make sure you drive it with a tailwind

(29 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG