The online racing simulator
Ferrari joins A1GP
(28 posts, started )
Quote from Mazz4200 :
Yeah, thats what i'd like to know too. The original team that set up A1gp have all left and the whole thing is serious financial trouble.

So what exactly are Ferrari getting out of it ?, money laundering for the Mafia perhaps ?. Then again why are so the Uber-Rich all buying up English football teams ? surely it can't be for profit ?

Well, what I meant was that Ferrari probably wouldn't have any motivation to do "politics" and tricks because every team will be running their components and pays for them already. Besides, they would probably get caught anyways because I'm sure the cars are still tested and components randomly picked for every team or something similar. And that would put them in serious trouble because they have legal contracts with the other teams to supply the same parts.

But to answer yo your post. I doubt anyone would do any business if it wasn't for profit. Maybe it gives Ferrari another technical platform to try out things they can't do in F1 where the rules are mostly random for every season. Or maybe they just have lots of left over pieces from failed or canceled projects.
Quote from Blackout :I doubt anyone would do any business if it wasn't for profit.

Yeah, that stands to reason, but sometimes you have to wonder. Just look at all the rubles Abramovich has thrown into Chelsea, surely the only way he's gonna make a profit is if dear old Bill Gate$ suddenly finds a passion for our national game and has an urge to through all his hard earned down the lav. Maybe that's Beckhams hidden agenda ?
Flav and Bernie have just bought QPR, and who outside of the UK have heard of them ?. It's certainly not a club with any notable history, pedigree or even romance behind it. And other than Man Utd no other club in England is making a profit !

Quote from Blackout :Maybe it gives Ferrari another technical platform to try out things they can't do in F1 where the rules are mostly random for every season.

Only if F1 is about to be seriously "dumbed down". Unless they want to test bits and pieces for their road cars. Which actually might just be the case. The gap between F1 and the real world motoring is getting pushed to the limits now, so maybe it does make sense having a foot in the door of a series where technology is interchangeable with real world cars. Bit like it was in the early years of F1 Interesting...
Or, perhaps they want to use it as a feeder series for drivers and engineers ?

Quote from Blackout :Or maybe they just have lots of left over pieces from failed or canceled projects.

Lol, then expect to see A1gp using that failed Maserati SUV monstrosity :vomit:or the leftover bits from that Schumacher robot they were building.
not that upset about ferrari getting involved as A1GP will probably gain as much from the association as ferrari. especially regarding publicity in the mainstream media.

what i am bothered about is the idea of the cars being based on the F2007. one of the reasons i like to watch a1GP is that the cars can sit close to each other throught the corners and also that the cars look slightly uncomfortable / edgy to drive, with the rear ends in particular being slightly "loose". both of which allow drivers to make passing attempts. if they go down the f1 route they could lose this.

on the other hand if they really simplify the aero, and still run on slicks, it may give an indication of how f1 could be if the rulemakers / constructors had the guts / will to go to a simpler formula, and i'd assume that A1GP will gain from ferrari's reliability.

re. the looks of the current cars,i agree about that rear wing being strange but the rest is ok and definatly the side pod intakes are beautifull, overall i'd say that in their own way, their as good looking as the current generation F1 cars with all their aero extras such as the various aero conditioner fins spoiling the fluidity of the underlying shape. Apparently the A1GP cars bodywork and wings was designed by the man behind the concept in the first place and, although i'd assume it was refined by experts, for an amateur i'd say he did a pretty good job, indeed it may be that theres a relationship between simple / amateur aerodynamics and good racing when all cars are identical.

according to autosport during the summer, A1GP is actually far more healthy financially than it first appears. the losses for the second season were far lower than the first and are expected to fall again this season before making a slight opperating profit in season four. all of which are at or better than planned for. Despite rumours all the suppliers, past and current, have been paid and are behind the series and enthusiastic about it. This season ahs also seen a substantial rise in the teams sponsorship revenues as tv audiences have risen.

Ferrari joins A1GP
(28 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG