The online racing simulator
Ferrari joins A1GP
(28 posts, started )
Ferrari joins A1GP
The mighty horse will build engines and consult on chassis design from 2008-2014. LINK
Hopefully the cars won't look as stupid as they do now with their input. The only aspect of the current chassis I like in the sidpod main intake; the rest of the car looks like it was designed by a failure of a design student who knows nothing about aerodynamics or aesthetics.
Looks like there getting into something else just incase Bernie does destroy f1.
Quote from Rappa Z :Looks like there getting into something else just incase Bernie does destroy f1.

Ummm Little late for that :/ And ferrari are still making lots of money from f1 (Well maybe not money but certianly publicity)
So long as the cars remain the same in terms of handling and power it should be fine. The cars don't look that stupid when they are overtaking each other and banging wheels.
The cars will be based on the F2007 although will be heavily modified obviously. They said the cars will look similar to the current A1GP cars.
#7 - axus
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :So long as the cars remain the same in terms of handling and power it should be fine. The cars don't look that stupid when they are overtaking each other and banging wheels.

I'd approve of more powah.
Any idea what kind of budgets the A1GP teams run with?
Wondering why we don't have a team yet.
They're getting more power, apparently less than 800hp though

The engines are coming in midway through this season and the cars are coming next season, if I read the article in Autosport right
Quote from Blackout :Any idea what kind of budgets the A1GP teams run with?
Wondering why we don't have a team yet.

Sweden doesn't have one either... OR Norway... Maybe it's just not a good enough championship for Scandinavians
Quote from BlueFlame :Sweden doesn't have one either... OR Norway...

Well...when the fastest guy from those two countries is Petter Solberg, they wouldn't have much chances would they?

Oh, wait...they got that DTM Ekström too, almost forgot him!

Quote from deggis :
Never heard about this though

Me neither. Although if I had to guess who would pull it off, my money would have been on Salo. He is moving from driving to some sort of off the track mogul business it seems. But still wondering how much money it would need (not that I'm a crazy billionaire).
Quote from Blackout :Well...when the fastest guy from those two countries is Petter Solberg, they wouldn't have much chances would they?

*Pictures A1GP Rally stage*
Quote from Blackout :Me neither. Although if I had to guess who would pull it off, my money would have been on Salo. He is moving from driving to some sort of off the track mogul business it seems. But still wondering how much money it would need (not that I'm a crazy billionaire).

Salo has not completely forgotten driving, currently driving in ALMS, probably going to win GT2 class title
Sweden got several F1 contenders.... errr.... lets say GP2 contenders. Or A1GP contenders to keep topic. (None will prolly get enough $$$ for F1 but I can dream)

Alx Danielsson is close, Won World Series by Renault 2006, currently in Swedish Carrera Cup.

Björn Wirdheim (currently in formula nippon and super gt) (famous for missing the pm about a moved finish line http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5AyzMHsb9g )

Two more on the watch list:
Marcus Ericsson just won formula bmw uk.
Sebastian Holtenthal won formula renault 2006.
Ugly cars

The rear wing and air intake are just plain wrong

Good racing though
Talking about Swedish drivers, For anyone that is interested I have met Björn Valdergård

The First EVER WRC Champion.
#18 - SamH
Ferrari's entry into A1GP spells the end of my interest in A1GP. I liked A1GP because of its freedom from, and alternative to, the filthy side of motorsport. With Ferrari working its way into A1GP, all is lost IMO.
Quote from SamH :Ferrari's entry into A1GP spells the end of my interest in A1GP. I liked A1GP because of its freedom from, and alternative to, the filthy side of motorsport. With Ferrari working its way into A1GP, all is lost IMO.

Oh please, aren't all the cars the same?
#20 - SamH
Quote from Blackout :Oh please, aren't all the cars the same?

It's not really the point.. I liked A1GP because it was as completely separate from F1 as humanly possible. Now the edge is blurred too much for me, and it's not likely to get better.
Sam's got a point. Ferrari's political tactics are one of the many black marks on modern F1.
But what kind of tactics they could pull off being the only supplier? It's not that they could get more press coverage or something because there is no competition for them.
What if team Italy suddenly lapped the whole field at every race

I kind of agree with SamH, I liked the fact it didn't have big manufacturer names plastered all over the cars. So long as the cars can still race closely and the ticket prices don't go up, I will still be watching it and going to the races.
I wish I could go to the races Wonder how they feel about scheduling a round at Mosport?
Quote from Blackout :Any idea what kind of budgets the A1GP teams run with?

For the inaugural season (2005) the teams paid approx $2m to enter, and had about the same again to run the team. Incidentally a GP2 team budget is approx $3m-$4m for a season, and an F3 Team budget is approx $1m-$1.5m per year.

Quote from Blackout :But what kind of tactics they could pull off being the only supplier? It's not that they could get more press coverage or something because there is no competition for them.

Yeah, thats what i'd like to know too. The original team that set up A1gp have all left and the whole thing is serious financial trouble.

So what exactly are Ferrari getting out of it ?, money laundering for the Mafia perhaps ?. Then again why are so the Uber-Rich all buying up English football teams ? surely it can't be for profit ?

Ferrari joins A1GP
(28 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG