The online racing simulator
Talladega: Waltrip Pole, Villeneuve 6th ???!!!!
Quote from article :Drivers who had to qualify left mark on race lineup
Top eight starters in Sunday's race are go-or-go-homers
By Raygan Swan, NASCAR.COM
October 6, 2007
07:29 PM EDT

TALLADEGA, Ala. -- The "go-or-go-homers," drivers forced to qualifying for Sunday's Cup race on time, stole the show at Talladega Superspeedway on Saturday.

The top of the starting grid, typically filled with Chase drivers, comprised of drivers who typically struggle to make races. At first glance, one might think the qualifying order was upside down. At least five Chase drivers qualified 31st or worse.

The rationale is this: Sunday's UAW-Ford 500 is an impound race, Chase drivers focused more on race setups than qualifying. After the qualifying session, NASCAR officials impound the cars and no additional adjustments are allowed.

Drivers forced to qualify on time focused on qualifying setups as opposed to race day setups, however, Toyota driver Michael Waltrip, who won the pole, said he'll be ready right away.

"We tested down here a couple of weeks ago and we got our car as good as we wanted it speed wise," he said. "After that, I got in the draft and was able to drive to the front and ride around in the middle of it and I was happy."

Waltrip, who at the start of the season missed 11 consecutive races, said he was confident he would make the race but not the pole; a first of the season for the No. 55 machine.

"Our qualifying lap was faster than what we had in practice with drafting help," Waltrip said. "If I only had to worry about my car, I would've been happier. But, I had to worry about Dale [Jarrett] and David [Reutimann] making the race too."

Waltrip, owner of Michael Waltrip Racing which fields cars for Jarrett (43rd) and Reutimann (fifth) said it is more important to have all three of his cars in the race.

The first eight positions (six of which are Toyota Camrys) in Sunday's starting grid are "go-or-go-homers," including newcomer Jacques Villeneuve, sixth, who this weekend was under fire from Chase drivers who said the Canadian was too inexperienced to run the Talladega Superspeedway.

"We knew yesterday that we had a pretty quick car," he said. "We missed some practice time early, but when we got out there, we showed some good speed."

And while a handful of "go-or-go-homers" were happy, others were not; namely Boris Said in his No. 66 Ford who initially qualified 10th and still failed to make the race.

"Right now, NASCAR has got to do something about the rules," he said. "It's terribly unfair that the top Ford in 10th place goes home. An independent has no chance and for the 10th-place car to go home is completely insane."

Add Kurt Busch and David Ragan to the list of peeved drivers.

A Penske Racing Chase driver, Busch failed post qualifying inspection and will start 41st after qualifying 25th.

David Ragan, in the Roush Fenway No. 6 Ford, also failed and will start one spot below his original effort in 42nd.

Spokesperson for NASCAR Kerry Tharp said the two cars were too low.

"Two cars did not get through height sticks property," he said. "They were two low in the front and their qualifying efforts will be disallowed."

Dave Blaney, John Andretti, Joe Nemechek, David Reuitman, Michael Waltrip, Jacuqes Villeneuve (i'm surprised at this because Villeneuve clocked a 42nd fastest at practice) all at the front wtf.....

I know Boris is not happy but oh well

IMO NASCAR should make the provisionals that the top 15 points in owners instead of top 35. This way it'll be more fair.
Talladega is an "impound race". This means the teams may not touch the car after qualifying before the race starts.

Teams in the top 35 in points set the car up in race trim, so they are ready to race in the draft.

Teams trying to qualify (outside of the 35 in points) sacrifice the race setup for a qualifying setup by taping over the nose.

10 out of the top 11 times in qualifying were done by people just trying to make the 8 spots to get in the race.

JV did No practicing in the draft, hence why he was near the slowest there. His team was concentrating on qualy setup only.

Borris didn't make it... So i am sad.
#3 - -wes-
:eye-poppi

Waltrip has been getting better of late, sooo he might suprise us.
Or more likely sink to the back after 20 laps.
Jeff Gordon just won with a last lap pass, lead none but the last :jawdrop:
And, Junior loses yet another engine
Quote from h3adbang3r :Jeff Gordon just won with a last lap pass, lead none but the last :jawdrop:

Man I was hoping Blaney would find his way around Johnson and Gordon. I really wanted Toyota to have a win oh well.

It was the most exciting race I've seen this entire season. 17 cars out. I found it hilarious how steward made three bad moves in a row that constantly got him shuffled to the back

Quote from h3adbang3r :And, Junior loses yet another engine

Well considering that Truex blew an engine and Menard's car would have blown if not for the crash, I dont think this was anything special. I mean like 10 cars blew up today including some of the chasers.

MAN John Andretti CAN NOT CATCH A BREAK (Makes me wonder if the Andretti Curse is active outside of Indy ). This is his best chance to get a good finish and maybe a win but NOOOO a blown tire -_-

Good job to Michael Waltrip, being a major factor throughout the race. It's kinda good to see him up front again

Good job to Villeneuve keeping his nose clean today. Although I was kinda disappointed because I never saw him up front. I wanted him to battle it out with the leaders . Well, this shows that he has a lot to learn about draft racing. BTW, why did he retire with like 3 laps to go?
Quote from lizardfolk :BTW, why did he retire with like 3 laps to go?

My mistake he didn't retire he just went on the apron. (Which i still dont understand but oh well)
#7 - th84
Quote from lizardfolk :Good job to Villeneuve keeping his nose clean today. Although I was kinda disappointed because I never saw him up front. I wanted him to battle it out with the leaders . Well, this shows that he has a lot to learn about draft racing. BTW, why did he retire with like 3 laps to go?

I was happy to see him drop back to the rear of the field before the start. It would've been real ugly if he would've held his qualify position. Smacking the wall as hard as he did would probably explain why he finished the race on the apron.

I guess we enjoy diffrent types of racing, but I found that the most boring Talladega race I have ever seen. I have been going to both races there for about 10 years now.... this was, by far, the most boring race I have ever seen live. I think they made a big mistake when the re-surfaced the track, it looks better, but no-where near as fun to watch.
I have to agree with th84, the race was boring. Maybe because a lot of the boredom had to do with engines blowing and the one pile up. But I mainly think it was just the people werent doing anything besides staying in a line for 50 laps, and the chasers didn't do much during the race at all until the last few laps.
Quote from PMD9409 :I have to agree with th84, the race was boring. Maybe because a lot of the boredom had to do with engines blowing and the one pile up. But I mainly think it was just the people werent doing anything besides staying in a line for 50 laps, and the chasers didn't do much during the race at all until the last few laps.

I was paying attention to the usual backmarkers of NASCAR, which includes Michael Waltrip, David Reutiman, John Andretti, and Dave Blaney, Ken Schrader

I really didn't care too much about the chasers, which is probably why I found it more exciting than others
What's a "chase driver"?
They decide at like 10 (or so?!) races left, that the top 10 (or whatever) in points should be reset to 0 pts, and all the other wankers get their existing points standings as final (I think), and they duel out the last 10 (or so?!) races amongst the chase drivers.
Weird. Is that one of the new NASCAR rules that everybody always complains about?
Yep.

They've changed it pretty much every year since they introduced it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chase_for_the_NEXTEL_Cup

Quote :The current version of the Chase was announced by NASCAR chairman and CEO Brian France on January 22, 2007. The current format modifies the existing format announced on January 21, 2004, and is the 12th time since 1949 that the point system has been changed.[1]

After 26 "regular season" races, the top 12-ranked drivers, as determined by points accumulated during the season, advance to contend for the Cup championship. The 12 driver's championship points are reset to a base of 5,000 points per driver, with a bonus of 10 points awarded to each driver for each win during the regular season. At the conclusion of the 10-race Chase, the driver with the highest point total is the Nextel Cup champion. During the Chase, normal scoring applies, with drivers who win a race receiving 185 points for the win, 5 bonus points for leading a single lap, and 5 points for leading the most laps.

In 2007, NASCAR expanded the field of contenders from 10 drivers to 12, and implemented a 10 point-per-win bonus. Brian France explained why NASCAR made the changes to the chase:

"The adjustments taken [Monday] put a greater emphasis on winning races. Winning is what this sport is all about. Nobody likes to see drivers content to finish in the top 10. We want our sport -- especially during the Chase -- to be more about winning."

I imagine it's a great demotivator for all the other drivers towards the end of the season.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I imagine it's a great demotivator for all the other drivers towards the end of the season.

America really likes the "playoff" style of sports and NASCAR responded to that.

As for people complaining, I really dont know anyone who whole heartedly complained about it.

As for the drivers outside of the 12, it kinda have the opposite effect.

Instead of playing safe and trying to win the championship, they are taking insane amount of chances trying to win races within the last 10 races. So instead of drivers feeling down and giving up, they are actually doing just the opposite. Now they dont have points to worry about and they are all trying to win as much races as they can.

On a side note: I really think NASCAR should change the provisional rules. The "go or go home" cars work so hard day and night to make the races and most if not all of them out do some of the regulars in qualifying. I hate to see people like Boris Said, Kevin LePage, Ward Burton and Jeremy Mayfield miss race after race after race when they clock in times that are better than half the field.
Quote from lizardfolk :As for the drivers outside of the 12, it kinda have the opposite effect.

Instead of playing safe and trying to win the championship, they are taking insane amount of chances trying to win races within the last 10 races. So instead of drivers feeling down and giving up, they are actually doing just the opposite. Now they dont have points to worry about and they are all trying to win as much races as they can.

Yeah, plus there's a large $$$ bonus for the first driver in points outside of the chase (13th), iirc.
Quote from lizardfolk :America really likes the "playoff" style of sports and NASCAR responded to that.

As for people complaining, I really dont know anyone who whole heartedly complained about it.

I complained and stepped away from NASCAR in road circuit racing. So I know it pissed at least ONE person off. It doesn't matter how well the points leader did the first 2/3 of the season, as long as your in the top 12 and finish well in the last 1/3 of the season you win a championship. Nevermind that someone else had dominated the first 2/3 of the season. It does make it more entertaining but it's getting too far away from what I feel real racing is.

Just to explain how into NASCAR I was before they did this. I had $25,000 set aside to run at the local track Kenseth started to kick his career off. My neighbor was running superlates with Kenseth and I was going to get help from him. My Dad also used to race. It was all set and I was getting geared up to race, until they put the 'chase' in. Instead I bought a car to drive daily and play on the computer, which I am grateful for now, it costs too much to race real cars. Even my SRT-4 costs too much and I have only been on Silverstone for a few laps, and thats not even a real racecar, almost though =) To put my car on the track for a track-day would cost me nearly £1,000 for a full day!

But thats OT. I no longer will watch NASCAR and only check the standings once every few months to see where Kenseth is at and thats only because I saw him race when I was a kid while he made his was into NASCAR.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG