STCC #10 Sim Touring Car Cup
(125 posts, started )
Quote from SamH :Jak made the mistake of telling Dustin that each tyre stack was worth 5 points in Jak's game :eek:

lol
Glad you enjoyed it guys.

The main difficulty I have is that after many weeks without watching STCC races, I was very rusty and couldn't remember who was who, or previous results. And some liveries had changed which added to it all.

Because I was lacking confidence in speaking about drivers and using their names, I preferred a more ambiguous approach, and that really limits the talking opportunities...

Combine that with Becky's unnatural grasp of the teams, drivers, standings, liveries, penalties, tyre wear, strategy etc etc, and an ability to speak so quickly and non-stop (in a good way), meant that I was more of a supporting act to break Beckys non-stop flow.

Maybe I should do more research beforehand, but that's my failing, not Becky's or STCC's.
Really great coverage, camera's were great, commentary was almost flawless, and the race itself was a blast to watch! Best so far! Keep it up!
Quote from tristancliffe :Glad you enjoyed it guys.

The main difficulty I have is that after many weeks without watching STCC races, I was very rusty and couldn't remember who was who, or previous results. And some liveries had changed which added to it all.

Because I was lacking confidence in speaking about drivers and using their names, I preferred a more ambiguous approach, and that really limits the talking opportunities...

Combine that with Becky's unnatural grasp of the teams, drivers, standings, liveries, penalties, tyre wear, strategy etc etc, and an ability to speak so quickly and non-stop (in a good way), meant that I was more of a supporting act to break Beckys non-stop flow.

Maybe I should do more research beforehand, but that's my failing, not Becky's or STCC's.

You need a cheatsheet
I tried making one once, between round 1 and 2.

But there were so many changes, and there are so many new drivers that it was really difficult. I try not to watch races before talking about them, so that anything I say is totally fresh, but it does mean that I don't know who is who.

I commentate on basically the same video you see at the end, and when cars are in accidents it's often a pixelly, blurry mess...

I think I just need to get myself comfortable with who is who at the moment, then small changes will be easier. But Becky eats, sleeps and dreams STCC, so I don't think I'll ever rival her
#56 - Vain
Quote from tristancliffe :Maybe I should do more research beforehand, but that's my failing, not Becky's or STCC's.

Listen to the commentary from some eurosport-broadcasts and focus on how the commentators choose the topic to talk about. You'll learn a lot about how this is done by professional commentators and what you need to look for.
As far as I can see, eh hear, the commentators from eurosport have one or two sheets in front of them with thumbnails of the liveries, driver names, nationality, team name, car number and some interesting info you might want to address "#127, P. Galaske, Adrenalin Racing Team, never out-qualified Szabo except for Blackwood RallyX, seemed quite happy with rear tyre temperatures at the end of practice though he had serious troubles before, *add driver's opinions from pre-race discussion*" and additionally the same sheets again with "get out of jail"-information if nothing happens on screen "#127, P. Galaske, finished only approx. 50% of all races due to ISP problems mid-season, teamed up with Horvath after round 3 to challenge Muroc, never had any appeal filed against him, etc."
Becky has all skins, so I'm sure you could fix together the thumbnail-sheet rather quickly. Then spend an hour adding information with a pen and you should be good to go.

However, what I noticed listening to eurosport is that the "get out of jail"-sheet is a temptation you should avoid. Sometimes the commentators start chatting about the championship position in the 2003 Formula 3 season of a driver who was on-screen 3 minutes ago, while actually there is a hell of a race going on on screen.

Apart from that, you're doing great as a co-commentator. You add information where you have space, but you let Becky talk when something happens on the screen. You should try to make a full-stop as soon as possible if a passing-situation arises to allow Becky to start talking without interrupting you more often though. It's very difficult and you're doing fine so far, but there's always room for improvement.
Great broadcast!
A cool feature for the insim, if its not already being implemented, would be a leader time board across the top.
Quote :one suggestion: in my feeling the ranking chart is to much to the center of the screen, i would say, put it more to one border (the left perhaps) so it doesn't disturb the watching so much

The STCC is put together in such a way that it could migrate to TV or DVD, as such I have to respect the 'safe area' around the edge of the screen that get chopped with different dimensions and national resolutions. Believe it or not, the position ticker is at the edge of the safe area.

Quote :needed something to do until the youtube link appears

Something went wrong with the You Tube version and I had to delete it and will try again. I may have to re-encode it. It's actually the worst quality way to watch the STCC, they take our LQ stream and they compress it even more and the LQ stream is simply the best I could get out of 100mb (the maximum You Tube upload size) so it's already greatly reduced quality.
Quote : What I'd still like to see is more structured beginning of the broadcast

You raise a lot of very valid points Hyperactive. I have mentioned before I think that i'm really unhappy with the pre and post shows and I want to do a lot of the things you mention but doing footage at the start and end works out as a huge amount of work.

Next race I think will be much the same, but I can promise better coverage at the last round of the season which is going to be a special extended show so that we go out from season 1 on a bang.
OFF :
Quote from dawesdust_12 :
David, Go spell check "Tourung" in your siggy

D'OH :dunce:
Mistype solved ... THX Dustin
Quote from Becky Rose :You raise a lot of very valid points Hyperactive. I have mentioned before I think that i'm really unhappy with the pre and post shows and I want to do a lot of the things you mention but doing footage at the start and end works out as a huge amount of work.

Next race I think will be much the same, but I can promise better coverage at the last round of the season which is going to be a special extended show so that we go out from season 1 on a bang.

If you want I could happily make a (short) video of an onboard lap and send it for you. Your technical commmentator (who he might be next time) could do the speaking for it and then we could send the video and audio for you to put together, or we could put it together and send to you as a finished piece of video. Basically it would work as its own little part inside the broadcast. But the onboard video isn't really that important.

I take it you already have some pieces of film to use as a "background material" (=scenery shots) and basically you could just record you and your technical commentator talking about STCC related stuff for few minutes and just combine the video and audio for the pre-race part. I bet this is something a regular STCC viewer wants to hear too, just some insight info about STCC racing and what is going on generally. Basically the pre-race audio part could be done with just a piece of paper where you have listed few things to go through with the tech commentator. The video could be added later so viewers have something to look at too while listening the pre-race commentation.

One way of doing this would be to do the whole STCC broadcast in 4 stages, for example:
1) do the racing video
2) get together with the other commentator and do the pre-race audio recording, the race commentating and the aftermath as three individual recordings
3) combine the scenery shot videos and the pre-race recordings into a pre-race video. Combine the race video and commentating into a race video. Combine some more scenery shots and the aftermath audio into a aftermath video.
4) combine all these small parts (the STCC intro, the pre-race part, possible onboard video, the CTRA advert, the race part and the aftermath and outro) into a STCC broadcasts

So basically it would add two steps to the process. I understand that you are already working hard for these videos and adding all this workload is possibly a bit too much. But if there is room to do a bit extra for this - it would imho be defenately worth it
#62 - Vain
Becky has done it before. The pre-race show of round 3 was very good. The order wasn't correct because the highlights from the last rounds were first and the introduction "Hello and welcome" only came after that, but it had all the elements a good pre-race show needs. The post-race show was also great. The complete #3 broadcast was only 5 minutes longer than the round 10 one, but that was enough to avoid the hurried atmosphere of the latest broadcasts.

Vain
Tristy, I think you do alright, you provide a bit of a more calm and technical insight on the race whereas Becky is the like "OMG! DUSTIN JUST PASSED SOMEONE! SHOCK GASP AMAZE!" I think that if Becky could get you the list of drivers (or any other STCC driver), for the next race, adn you do a bit of research in the Pre and Post-Race chats on our own forums, maybe you can gather some information about tires and stuff for the broadcast?

Also, isn't making spectacular incidents part of my whole pull in the STCC?!
Quote from Jakg :Doctor + Acid + My Foot + Minor Confusion = FAIL.

wth ? how did that happen ?

speaking of liveries
someone please give raemish adifferent paintjob it looks almost exactly like the one from some other team also driving in the stcc (i think its 1st but im not sure)
#65 - SamH
Quote from Shotglass :it looks almost exactly like the one from some other team also driving in the stcc (i thinks its 1st but im not sure)

Yeah, I noticed that when watching the broadcast. I've watched the replay of the race a good many times, and they're quite distinct in LFS. Once it's in WMV video format, they're almost indistinguishable. Unforeseen, but will be addressed.
#66 - Jakg
Quote from Shotglass :wth ? how did that happen ?

I had a toe-nail removed and they use acid (Phenol, to be precise) to burn away the nail-bed after they're done - i started squirming and they thought the anaesthetic was wearing off so the doctor reached for the cleaning solution, and then sloshed it over my foot.

He didn't pick up the cleaning solution bottle, though. :X

Raemish can't drive for UKCT Blue, or UKCT Red as Becky got fed up with the constant team-swapping, and so he has to finish the season as a privateer - he's doing this in the UKCT Black colours, although it does look a bit like the First livery, i will admit. Blame Gizmo!
I can't tell who anybody is, except Vain, and I've watched all the races. The Muroc cars look the most distinctive but I've no idea who is driving which.

Do they have numbers on them anywhere? I can't remember seeing any.

Quote from Jakg :http://image.bayimg.com/jafbhaabk.jpg

DON'T Click If Your Squeamish!

Ouch. I would've butted the doctor for doing that to me.
Becky - any chance of future downloads via BitTorrent?
#69 - Jakg
All skins have numbers on them, ie i've attached mine (which Dan was driving with this race).

Duke - why bother with BitTorrent? Slow + Often throttle in the UK, but to what advantage...?
Attached images
FXO_JakgSTCCUKCT.jpg
Quote : Do they have numbers on them anywhere? I can't remember seeing any.

They do, but if I do another series the regulations on them would make them easier to see.

I can recognise any car from almost any angle, there are little details i've learned to zoom in on, but that's because of my intense involvement. I know it must be hard for spectators to keep up - which is why i've learned the hard way that skin regulations need to be enforced (they where pretty tight tbh, but there are outside influences like team changes, fixes etc - which escallate).

On the Muroc cars for example they have different colour rear wings. UKCT now use different shades. WRC use 'blue & red' and 'blue & yellow', and so on.

Regulations for a season 2 (if indeed it does happen) will be much stricter regarding skins to make it easier for the viewers to follow who is who.
Quote from Becky Rose :Regulations for a season 2 (if indeed it does happen) will be much stricter regarding skins to make it easier for the viewers and co-commentators to follow who is who.

Fixed
Quote from Jakg :All skins have numbers on them, ie i've attached mine (which Dan was driving with this race).

which sadly are way too small for the quality of the wmv videos

but ive chosen to use beckys mouthful approach on the subject and not bring it up anymore a while ago

Quote from Becky Rose :On the Muroc cars for example they have different colour rear wings. UKCT now use different shades. WRC use 'blue & red' and 'blue & yellow', and so on.

which is nice but it needs to be mentioned somewhere along the way for the viewers (and co commentators) to notice
What can I say? When the mic is live all planning goes out the window. The only rule is that it must never be silent (which is actually quite hard over the net with two commentators), so mouth engages and brain tries to keep up lol.
What do you use becky teamspeak?
I remember in the early STCC's some of the guys weren't using headphones so the sound playback was being relayed... Things have improved from then thankgod!
#75 - Jakg
I think they use Skype and two sets of Audacity recording

STCC #10 Sim Touring Car Cup
(125 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG