thats one option and its nothing to do with sugar
Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi:

0-100km in 11.8 sec
CO2: 138g/km
Advertised fuel consumption mixed use: 6.5 l/100km

Toyota Prius hybrid 1.5 petrol 16-valve VVT-i + electric:

0-100km in 10.9 sec
CO2: 104g/km
My own measured fuel consumption mixed use: 4.8 l/100km (advertised 4.3)
well they accelarate a damn site quicker than that and will easily do 45 mpg but average of 50-50 ok maybe about the same but i know which i would rather get
and a prius will not do 0-60 in10.9 not even down hill
Dont talk like that man, electricity rocks =)

Solar have you got any figures about price that you pay for electricity after installing the plug-in kit you were talking about a few pages back? I am just curious, having watched the conspiracy theory :Kick_Can_ documentary about ev-1, checking development progress of tesla roadster and so on, there are figures about energy efficiency, but they dont tell me much.

I wonder if you picked up any numbers about electricity bills reading prius forums

happy driving
Quote from smidge :Dont talk like that man, electricity rocks =)

Solar have you got any figures about price that you pay for electricity after installing the plug-in kit you were talking about a few pages back?

http://priuschat.com/index.php ... iew=findpost&p=452401

Higher up in the thread there are pictures of the plug-in installation, the next page goes on to detail problems they experienced.

Solar Hydro
Thank you, very interesting

I expected it to be cheaper. Considering fuel price in America, the guy is probably paying 2 times more than if he ran only on gasoline.

Quote :The whole point for me is to be off of foreign oil even if I have to pay more. For me it is about national security.

Payback time frame:

Pay back happens every time I plug in to the wall. I’ll remember 9/11 every time I do.

Dam near got run over by one of these.......couldn't hear it sneaking up on me.
33rd refuel on the Prius

929km driven, added 43,5 liters

Own calculation: 4.682 l/100km (Prius meter showed 4.5 l/100km).

Own measurement converted to USA Galllon (MPG) = 50.24
Own measurement converted to Imperial Gallon = 60.33

Solar Hydro
I bet you washed it with a natural cleaner too......or did you take it to a car wash?

Black cars look better in the shade........but they charge slower.

I Walk, but I live within 5 minutes of everything.

AAnt
I have not washed any car I ever had, and I have no intention of ever doing so. Went to car wash 4x since I have the Prius.

Solar Hydro
34th refuel on the Prius

886km driven, added 41,8 liters (which is low and I even overpumped)

Own calculation: 4.717 l/100km (Prius meter showed 4.6 l/100km but had been on 4.7 for a while because... well see below...).

I got a rear tyre puncture (air pressure falling below 1 bar). I went to the garage, they took the wheel off, found a nail, pulled the nail out, and injected some 'vulcanizing' liquid in the hole made by the nail, and put the wheel back on. 10 minutes; 10 euros; I was impressed.

Solar Hydro

P.S. I passed 30.000km on the Prius counter this evening.
thing you gotta wonder now, was did you drive over the nail, or did someone hammer it in?
Have you upset any psychopaths lately Solar, apart from me I mean?
35th refuel on the Prius

876km driven, added 42,9 liters

Own calculation: 4.897 l/100km (Prius meter showed 4.8 l/100km).

36th refuel on the Prius

888km driven, added 42,0 liters

Own calculation: 4.729 l/100km (Prius meter showed 4.6 l/100km).

I also went for my second liftetime maintenance (the rule is once a year or every 15000km, which in my case yields nearly the same date, although I'm considering taking measures that would cause me to drive far less).

Again, I paid NOTHING for maintenance, whilst it's clear that they did the oil/filter work, rotated the tyres, put in windshield wiper fluid, painted over some scratches on the side that my dad had made, and whatever else they do at an annual maintenance.

I also asked the garage to fix the small star/crack in my windshield from the day a rock hit it; it's improved, but not a full repair. I'll have a look at my insurance policy to see if I can get a new windshield.

Solar Hydro
Thanks kx_mole,

I confirm that it's a Prius, but the game is fatally flawed, because it makes an engine noise and shows exhaust fumes while the car is in reverse.

The Prius is (in my experience always) in all-electric mode when reversing. Anyway, I tend to manually force EV-mode (electric vehicle) when parking.

Solar Hydro
37th refuel on the Prius

902km driven, added 44,0 liters

Own calculation: 4.878 l/100km (Prius meter showed 4.6 l/100km, was on 4.5 earlier in the day)

On Tuesday, I drove 450km, fuel consumption was strangely contrasted. 4.4/4.5l/100km on the way out in the afternoon going to Amsterdam via Rotterdam. 5.7l/100km on the way back from Amsterdam via Utrecht. TomTom6 on my new phone told me to drive via Rotterdam on the way out and via Utrecht on the way back. I complied; maybe I won't in the future...

Screenshot (taken with phone) upon arrival in Amsterdam, note the number of km traveled on the fuel tank; this is to emphasize that it's over much of a tank, not a tricked snapshot.

http://flickr.com/photos/solar_hydro/1455031198/

Solar Hydro
Also just wondered if your car us typically the same weight for most of your journey's Solar? Taking a big group of American's to lunch will certainly weigh the car down enough to affect the ratio.
Sorry for being an ass, but.. I don't see the point of the Prius.

My dad's 8 year old Citroen Saxo Diesel averages 4.2l/100kms - and this over the last year.

My previous car (Peugeot 206 1.4Hdi) did a whopping 3.9l/100kms - when I was really paying attention (unfortunatly, the way I usually drive, it was more close to 5l/100 - but thats really pushing all the 75hp out of the engine at all times )
Yes, and my bicycle 'eats' 2 donuts / 100 km... I think these cars are a class smaller than the Prius, but maybe I am wrong, I really don't know the Prius size in life.
Quote from Stigpt :Sorry for being an ass, but.. I don't see the point of the Prius.

It is not all about the MPG, it is about the emmisions; the harmful gasses to the environment and atmosphere. It does have a "normal" mpg, but:

Quote from Toyota :Prius is certified as an Advanced Technology Partial Zero Emission Vehicle (AT-PZEV), [6] a standard created by the California Air Resources Board and adopted by other states. [6] AT-PZEV certification means Prius has near-zero tailpipe emissions, zero evaporative emissions and a special extended warranty on emission control components. [6], [7] It is one step cleaner than the previous generation's Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (SULEV) certification.

The source is here (Note: The links above only work from the actual site).

Tim
Doesn't the energy needed to make and destroy the car, and the emissions making the materials used make the Prius a big joke? I think I read something to that effect in Professional Engineer a few months ago (but it might have been a different publication).

I don't see the point really. It's certainly no better for the environment than a normal car once you take everything into account.
Unless the engineering process and destruction process for the Prius is majorly different to that of a "normal" car, then the fact the the Prius gives out a fraction of the emmisions of the "normal" car, then it must gain something. Even though in the bigger picture this is not as much as if you just take the emissions of the car running into account.

Plus, how do we know that something else the Prius is doing (emmitting, causing, anything really) is not damaging something else that we have not measured or even know about yet. If we all moved NOW to a Prius, we may find that all those hybrid cars cause something else to break somewhere in the environment. (I don't know what, but you know what I mean).

Tim
Oops, just found this. (Should have googled first, then posted) nevermind:

Quote from Chris Demorro @ The Recorder Online :

Building a Toyota Prius causes more environmental damage than a Hummer that is on the road for three times longer than a Prius. As already noted, the Prius is partly driven by a battery which contains nickel. The nickel is mined and smelted at a plant in Sudbury, Ontario.

This plant has caused so much environmental damage to the surrounding environment that NASA has used the ‘dead zone’ around the plant to test moon rovers. The area around the plant is devoid of any life for miles.

The plant is the source of all the nickel found in a Prius’ battery and Toyota purchases 1,000 tons annually. Dubbed the Superstack, the plague-factory has spread sulfur dioxide across northern Ontario, becoming every environmentalist’s nightmare.

“The acid rain around Sudbury was so bad it destroyed all the plants and the soil slid down off the hillside,” said Canadian Greenpeace energy-coordinator David Martin during an interview with Mail, a British-based newspaper.

All of this would be bad enough in and of itself; however, the journey to make a hybrid doesn’t end there. The nickel produced by this disastrous plant is shipped via massive container ship to the largest nickel refinery in Europe. From there, the nickel hops over to China to produce ‘nickel foam.’ From there, it goes to Japan. Finally, the completed batteries are shipped to the United States, finalizing the around-the-world trip required to produce a single Prius battery. Are these not sounding less and less like environmentally sound cars and more like a farce?

Wait, I haven’t even got to the best part yet.

When you pool together all the combined energy it takes to drive and build a Toyota Prius, the flagship car of energy fanatics, it takes almost 50 percent more energy than a Hummer - the Prius’s arch nemesis.

Through a study by CNW Marketing called “Dust to Dust,” the total combined energy is taken from all the electrical, fuel, transportation, materials (metal, plastic, etc) and hundreds of other factors over the expected lifetime of a vehicle. The Prius costs an average of $3.25 per mile driven over a lifetime of 100,000 miles - the expected lifespan of the Hybrid.

The Hummer, on the other hand, costs a more fiscal $1.95 per mile to put on the road over an expected lifetime of 300,000 miles. That means the Hummer will last three times longer than a Prius and use less combined energy doing it.

So, if you are really an environmentalist - ditch the Prius. Instead, buy one of the most economical cars available - a Toyota Scion xB. The Scion only costs a paltry $0.48 per mile to put on the road. If you are still obsessed over gas mileage - buy a Chevy Aveo and fix that lead foot.

One last fun fact for you: it takes five years to offset the premium price of a Prius. Meaning, you have to wait 60 months to save any money over a non-hybrid car because of lower gas expenses.

Source here.

Who knows?!

Tim
Hello all,

A few points relating to the previous posts:

Emissions: Prius vs other car
(I have put specific comparisons with other cars that people mentioned in this thread before)

Peugeot 106 1.4 HDi (you don't seem to mention your current car):

CO2: 116g/km (pretty damn good)
Nox: 0.198g/km (there is also a 0.210g/km column below for diesel)
Particles (diesel): 0.020g/km

Toyota Prius 1.5:

CO2: 104g/km
Nox: 0.10g/km
Particles (diesel): 0

Hummer (and Jeep) vs Prius production process, battery, lifetime incl. recycling

Toyota response
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ ... /25/AR2007042502561.html

Priuschat discussion

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=31938

Solar Hydro

Got my Prius...
(239 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG