An Inconvenient Truth
(87 posts, started )
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :I do my part, I eat the damn cows.

As for the rest of that babel, how much of what you are using right now to type that wouldn't exist without all those pollution. Internet, Computers, Monitors (which we only have thanks to war), clothing, shoes, food, electric, clean drinking water, light bulbs, housing, furniture, should I go on. If you care so much stop using the items gained from it all, otherwise you're just a hypocrite.

Isn't it easy to blame others?

I do my part, thank you. And I also can deal with being a hypocrite to some. I can admit being a hypocrite and you're (plural) still an excessively polluting git.
Quote from Julppu :Isn't it easy to blame others?

I do my part, thank you. And I also can deal with being a hypocrite to some. I can admit being a hypocrite and you're (plural) still an excessively polluting git.

Not really, I offset everything, 6 bottles of beer will offset my PC for a few hours, all paper that comes into thise house leaves in a recycle box, same with plastics and anything else that can be recycled, and most food waste goes into a wormery to turn into fertiliser which goes over the veg garden.

I just hate people who preach about not polluting but do it themselves all the time.
In Australia we are having droughts and they tell us to save water when a few years from now we will be all submerged in water, then we can start wasting water as much as we like!
#29 - Gunn
Anybody who honestly believes that the human population is not degrading the environment rapidly or that we have little impact on environmental trends including global warming, has their head buried very deeply in the sand.

You don't have to listen to any of the hype or rhetoric, just go and learn the science for yourself and do your own studies. It won't be long before you are concerned about the future and the current and impending impact our species is having on ecosystems right around the globe. Even if you were to just study ecology alone you'll learn enough about how fragile life is on this planet to scare the bejesus right out of you.
#30 - SamH
#31 - SamH
Quote from Gunn :Anybody who honestly believes that the human population is not degrading the environment rapidly or that we have little impact on environmental trends including global warming, has their head buried very deeply in the sand.

You don't have to listen to any of the hype or rhetoric, just go and learn the science for yourself and do your own studies. It won't be long before you are concerned about the future and the current and impending impact our species is having on ecosystems right around the globe. Even if you were to just study ecology alone you'll learn enough about how fragile life is on this planet to scare the bejesus right out of you.

Yes, we're having a huge impact on the earth on an ecological level. My problem is the opportunism on the part of both governments and scientists. The hype and rhetoric, as you rightly point out. The line between the real science and this ridiculous trend of global warming "scientific research" is being blurred, and it will result in the undermining of faith in real sciences.

It all smacks of Aristotle's theory of elements.. simplistic observations, even with the latest technology, are resulting in extraordinary leaps to conclusions that prove nothing substantive.
#32 - JTbo
Gillette's fault, his disposable blade was launch of consuming hysteria, after that invention all products have been create towards 'use once and get new'-idea.

We could create fine things that really last long and that would be easiest way to control our effect to earth, but does this happen? Not even if hell would freeze.

We have big impact to earth and few can try to change that, at best there is small changes possible but until our culture changes nothing is going to happen in this area and it will take more than one generation.
Everyone knows global warming is caused by the Jews.
Quote from JTbo :Gillette's fault, his disposable blade was launch of consuming hysteria, after that invention all products have been create towards 'use once and get new'-idea.

We could create fine things that really last long and that would be easiest way to control our effect to earth, but does this happen? Not even if hell would freeze.

We have big impact to earth and few can try to change that, at best there is small changes possible but until our culture changes nothing is going to happen in this area and it will take more than one generation.

It is the one time cost where the problem comes into play, I got a packet of 10 throwaway razors for 95p, but if I were to buy a good razor which lasts a life time (a new cut throat for example) it'd cost a lot for the one time purchase, but I don't have that a lot.

The same applies to a lot of people, they'd rather pay pennies a lot of times then a lot once. Unfortunately it means the quality you would expect from a product is lost so it can be made on the cheap, and it is really starting to show in everything you use.
Quote from SamH :Yeah, does sound like a conspiracy theory doesn't it?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/mid/6288012.stm

Please also read...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6240559.stm

And if you still think the whole government/tax thing is a conspiracy theory, don't miss..
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/3005740.stm

that has little to do with your suspected conspiracy of scientists inventing global warming to come up with bogus topics of research
the fact that humans will exploit anything they can get there hands on is not related to weather what they got their hands on is real or not
#36 - SamH
Quote from Shotglass :that has little to do with your suspected conspiracy of scientists inventing global warming to come up with bogus topics of research
the fact that humans will exploit anything they can get there hands on is not related to weather what they got their hands on is real or not

Well, you're describing it as a conspiracy theory. I was addressing the whole thing generally

I do think that scientists are no less money-hungry than anyone else on the planet, and global warming is definitely a lucrative source of research funding right now. Governments will throw far more money at it than they ever would at cancer research or AIDS. It's the in thing.

My point about the cows is very much about how tentative the evidence is that cars are significant factors in damaging the atmosphere, when something as simple as a cow can do more harm on a daily basis. Yet the impact on the environment is the reason for the additional tax we pay on our larger vehicles in the UK to "encourage us to stop" vs "to generate tax revenue". Yes, we domesticated cattle, but there are many other species that we've hunted out of existence, or close to. Buffalo, deer.. mammoths? You name it, we've done our bit in the past to reduce global warming by killing herbivores in the past.

Re-planting some forests would be a good place to start. Britain was once 97% covered in trees. Most significantly, a young tree consumes a LOT more CO2 than a fully grown tree. The problem is that it's not a revenue generator for the government, and that's why it doesn't get the air-time it needs.
#37 - JTbo
I throw up once idea that car makers should plant trees as much that their cars are estimated to produce co2, but I guess we never will see such thing, but imagine if some smaller manufacturer would make such thing, imagine amount of PR and boost of sales

Edit: Oh yes, it surely would not have very big effect to enviroment, but that would be quite good trick, imo
Quote from SamH :I do think that scientists are no less money-hungry than anyone else on the planet, and global warming is definitely a lucrative source of research funding right now. Governments will throw far more money at it than they ever would at cancer research or AIDS. It's the in thing.

the scientific community is small at best so the starving scientist who has to come up with bogus theories to pay for his beef isnt really a model that will hold
its not like they will get rich from governments funding their research so money hungriness cant be the prime motivator

Quote :My point about the cows is very much about how tentative the evidence is that cars are significant factors in damaging the atmosphere, when something as simple as a cow can do more harm on a daily basis. Yet the impact on the environment is the reason for the additional tax we pay on our larger vehicles in the UK to "encourage us to stop" vs "to generate tax revenue".

youre mixing two entirely different discussions here

Quote :Yes, we domesticated cattle, but there are many other species that we've hunted out of existence, or close to. Buffalo, deer.. mammoths? You name it, we've done our bit in the past to reduce global warming by killing herbivores in the past.

so pushing several species to the brink of extinction and over it if we must is a good thing now ?

no matter how many weve killed in the past the point that theres a lot more animal farts in the air due to human activities than ever before still stands

Quote :Re-planting some forests would be a good place to start. Britain was once 97% covered in trees. Most significantly, a young tree consumes a LOT more CO2 than a fully grown tree. The problem is that it's not a revenue generator for the government, and that's why it doesn't get the air-time it needs.

one of the many problems is that forests arent suitable for growing plants to feed both man and animals which are then to be used as a rather inefficient mean of feeding man

theres a whole lot of deforestation still going on in south america and elsewhere to create grassland for cattle farms which means not only are there less plants to filter greenhouse gasses theres also more cows farting
I was searching for something completely different and stumbled on this thread.

There are groups of people convinced that climate change in the world today has nothing to do with us (the human species) and there is nothing we can do about it so why bother doing anything (turning off my tap while brushing my teeth isn't going to make any difference). There are groups of people who are convinced current climate change is mostly our fault and we should do something about it (if we all turn off the tap while brushing our teeth we can save enough water and energy to reduce our impact on the world).
Here is the truth:-

We don't know the true impact of our industrialised energy and resource intensive modern way of life on the globe. There is no definitive answer, that's why there is so much argument on the subject.
But
Uniquely in the world we are capable of perceiving the changes and projecting the possible outcomes and hypothesising the causes. We (the human species) are also uniquely capable of calculating solutions (OR POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS).
now - here's the thing...
Because we don't really know if it's our fault or not WE HAVE TO ACT AS THOUGH IT IS because if we don't and it is our fault we are dooming future generations. If it's not our fault and nothing we do will make a difference it is still better to have tried than to sit in apathy and expect GOD (or PETER PAN for that matter - either will be as much use) to save us.

your car has stalled on a muddy hill and it starts to slide down towards a cliff edge- do you just sit there and do nothing because it might be that it's all to do with the mud and there's nothing you can do? or do you try the brakes anyway - just in case using the brakes actually stop you before you fall over the edge?
#40 - DeKo
Quote from BigShox :your car has stalled on a muddy hill and it starts to slide down towards a cliff edge- do you just sit there and do nothing because it might be that it's all to do with the mud and there's nothing you can do? or do you try the brakes anyway - just in case using the brakes actually stop you before you fall over the edge?

Possibly the worst thing ive read in a while. Theres basically nothing we can do, unless you have some magical new energy that creates no harmful gasses?

Even if western people cut down on there emissions a bit, its going to make **** all difference when the chinese are opening a new power plant every couple of weeks. The only inconvient truth is the amount of blatant scare-mongering going on, for whatever reason.
Instead, it should be called:A Convenient Lie
It doesn't matter to me if we're entirely responsible for GW or if we're just exacerbating its effects through 200-odd years of mostly unrestricted pollution. Forget the piecemeal arguments about dripping taps and cows farting, the fact is we've changed this planet drastically since we became aware of ourselves, and mostly for the worse. We consume much, much more than we need to and produce a disproportionate amount of waste. The amount of animals we've eradicated is reprehensible. The amount of useless crap we produce to amuse ourselves is shameful. The amount of wild country that will never exist again is mind-boggling. The government/corporate collusion to simply extract dollars from the earth without a single thought for what happens next is almost criminal.

Forget the current GW "fashion". The need to conserve has always been with us and as a species we just won't ****ing learn to do it. If you recycle, good for you. Keep doing it. Do more! Don't turn your damn tap off or have a four-minute shower to save a bloody iceberg - that's not the point! Do it to save water! In Australia, where we've been copping the worst drought in history, this is all common sense. Noone's linking it to GW, it's about keeping enough water in the reserves so we can drink and cook and wash. Screw the lawn, it'll grow back. If you're not going to turn off a light in an empty room to ease the pollution from a coal-powered station, do it to lower your bills you lazy bastard. If you think driving a car every day to work is better than taking a train, try the train for a month and check your bank balance after not having to pay for fuel and parking. In short, forget GW if it doesn't rattle your cage. But the planet's been riddled with our shit and blighted by our foolishness for a very long time. If you're not going to care what happens to it, at least do something to save your greedy, lazy arse a few bucks! The token, half-arsed effort you put in will add up and make a difference.

Quote from wheel4hummer :Everyone knows global warming is caused by the Jews.

I suggest using smilies if you're going to post retarded shit like that. You never know who'll think you're serious. And re: your sig: is that the best you could come up with?
Quote from Hankstar :
I suggest using smilies if you're going to post retarded shit like that. You never know who'll think you're serious. And re: your sig: is that the best you could come up with?

At least it didn't take me 2 months to reply. If you're going to insult me about a two month old post, I suggest that you use smileys too. And, to the rest of your post, quit bitching, he'll be gone in 08 anyway.
Good post Hank. Being a good steward of the planet is a positive thing. It's like at work, 90% of people can't be bothered to pick up trash if they see it...

Quote from Hankstar :And re: your sig: is that the best you could come up with?

He probably had to contract that one out, it's better than he could fabricate
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :He probably had to contract that one out, it's better than he could fabricate

It's easier to fabricate global warming then it is to fabricate a sig, I guess.
Quote from wheel4hummer :Instead, it should be called:A Convenient Lie

yes it all makes perfect sense
1) tell the gw lie
2) ...
3) profit
Quote from Shotglass :yes it all makes perfect sense
1) tell the gw lie
2) ...
3) profit

Yes, because makes sense...
#48 - SamH
Cynic.

Realistically, I think most people are cynics, especially about politicians, and Al Gore being the largest known lobbyist about this, makes people naturally cynical.
#50 - SamH
Here's the TV ad that we've been catching in the UK.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak1qDY6-ak4

The information on or linked from the ibuyeco website is so lacking in actual numbers that the "100% carbon neutral car insurance" claim is unsustainable. The UK forestry project in Derbyshire, when you look closely, amounts to a small field (image attached). But ibuyeco specifically disclaims responsibility for, and makes no promises about, the viability or longevity of the projects they're using in their sales pitch.

It isn't about global warming, for me. I already know about that. It's about the corporate and governmental opportunism that's coming.

Doesn't anyone else look at this and feel like someone walked over their grave!?
Attached images
ibuyeco_uk.jpg

An Inconvenient Truth
(87 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG