The online racing simulator
I'm not guru at hax0ring the .PLR ffb settings but this seemed to help a lot, I guess it's just some kind of basic centering spring force:

FFB steer force grip weight="0.00000"

And below that line also turning off all the "FFB throttle vibe" and "FFB brake vibe" stuff.
Quote from deggis :And below that line also turning off all the "FFB throttle vibe" and "FFB brake vibe" stuff.

that can be achieved much simpler by selecting low in the in game ffb settings
Anyone managed to get the G25 H shifter working in M3 Challenge?
I have set all the controls for the individual gears and the like, but when i start the shifter doesn't seem to be recognised
Select "Hold For Gear"
Does anyone know where the GTR2 version of this car is?
-
(deggis) DELETED by deggis
Quote from Jakg :Select "Hold For Gear"

Yep, i already did this, as i'm not thick .
Any other suggestions?
Quote from ajp71 :There's now an rF conversion http://www.racesimtracker.com/torrents-details.php?id=168

Also has the track converted http://www.racesimtracker.com/torrents-details.php?id=169

aye its actually pretty decent in rfactor, and that version of nurburg is probably the best of them all.

now, completely off topic, but does anybody have a link to either the GTL or the GTR2 convert of spa? The one on rfactorcentral for rfactor is shite, i cant actually find them on my usual sites and RSC is as gay as gay can be with their conversion rules.
Quote from DeKo :aye, now, completely off topic, but does anybody have a link to either the GTL or the GTR2 convert of spa? The one for rfactor is shite, i cant actually find them on my usual sites and RSC is as gay as gay can be with their conversion rules.

I think they're on that same site I linked to. Have you tried Spa 88 though? The 88 tracks are really nicely done (and legal for RSC).
Quote from ajp71 :I think they're on that same site I linked to. Have you tried Spa 88 though? The 88 tracks are really nicely done (and legal for RSC).

yeah the 88 track is pretty decent, but the GTR2 version is pretty brilliant. Its only available on racesimtracker as part of the gtr2 trackpack, of which the dick of a uploader has packed them into a zip so i cant even just select the particular track i want in utorrent.

Aw well, thanks anyway
-
(BuddhaBing) DELETED by BuddhaBing
rFactor version at least had 50% too low damper rates, kind of trademark of blimey/simbin, imo. It is so horrible that I can't think of how one even could make it to work without completely rebuilding physics.

We have two threads running from this same subject, maybe thread merge?
Quote from BuddhaBing :I didn't like the way the car handled in rFactor so made some changes which I think improve the feel and dynamics. It feels quite nice with RealFeel now too. The changes are attached for those interested.

The changes include: changing the kinematics of the front suspension and steering, adjusting spring and damper rates, increasing inertia to make the car feel more weighty, revamping the tyre files and a handful of other tweaks.

To install, extract the contents of the zip to your desktop and then copy the GameData folder into your rFactor root folder. Feedback welcome.

You're right...it rides waaay too low, stupidly low steering angle.
Now i'll try your mod

EDIT: done.
MUCH MUCH better, still isn't at the level of the corvette, but now it's much more believable.
Sadly, no skid sounds and no damage (yet).
Maybe someone is willing to do that? Sadly i'm skillless in modding.
The skid etc sounds are missing because whoever coverted the car for rFactor forgot to include all of the sounds in the upload. The easiest way to fix the problem is to copy the sound files from the M3 Challenge GameData\Sounds folder to your rFactor GameData\Sounds folder. The only files you need to copy over are the WAV files in that top level folder. The ones in the BMW subfolder were already included in the conversion.

Once you copy the files over, it becomes much easier to sense what the car is doing. Amazing really how a few sound cues can affect your driving.
Thx again, gonna try that...any suggestions for missing damage?
Quote from ajp71 :I think they're on that same site I linked to. Have you tried Spa 88 though? The 88 tracks are really nicely done (and legal for RSC).

http://85.214.59.196/tracks/GTL/Spa.GTL.V.1.0.rar

Theres the version that everybody is playing atm (Spa GP new busstop). Its the 2004 layout, and its far better than the 88 imo.

Completely off topic i know, but anybody who plays rfactor will be interested in this.
The car has potential, the model is quite good...it lacks decent physics though...
EDIT: tried Spa, very nice track!
-
(BuddhaBing) DELETED by BuddhaBing
The steering steers too much, simply too sensible...changing lock in setup doesn't seem to change that?

For example: i'm a bit too fast, the rear wheels are going to overtake the engine (a bit of oversteer, simply said), i do opposite lock and the front slams to the outside of the corner. It looks like i corrected to much, and the front tires have too much grip while correcting...it's difficult to explain...steering too sensible

MAYBE the brakes should be a tiny bit stronger, but i'm not sure on that.
Quote from BuddhaBing :Fabri - and anyone else who's interested - I want to improve the physics of this car further. What specific areas do you think need to be improved? For example, do you think there's not enough/too much body roll, it accelerates/decelerates too quickly/slowly, it pulls too many/not enough gs under hard cornering on the skid pad, things like that. The more specific you can be, the easier it is to analyze the problem and come up with solutions or workarounds.

Thanks.

Find out real data and input that and it works, I think that is only way to make any improvements as setting values by feeling is going to result unrealistic behaviour.
The M3 produced by Blimey! used suspension geometry provided by BMW and the end result is terrible. Niels' C6 is generally considered to be the most accurate mod currently available for rFactor. Look at the C6's suspension geometry as defined in its PM file. It's not realistic at all. For comparison, here's the suspension geometry in Niels' mod compared to the real thing:
http://i3.tinypic.com/6az3812.jpg
http://i8.tinypic.com/65z4z13.jpg

Using real numbers will only work if the underlying physics engine is (a) complete and (b) accurate. ISI's isn't (nor is LFS's, nKP's, RBR's etc). This isn't a criticism leveled at ISI or other sim developers; it's not realistic to expect a consumer level entertainment product to have sufficiently high-fidelity kinematics and dynamics modeling that you can plug in a set of real numbers and get completely realistic behaviour.

Given that, there will always be a need to fudge the numbers to get a particular desired behaviour. The trick lies in identifying what the desired behaviour should be and then figuring out how to fudge the numbers to produce that result.
Quote from DeKo :...i cant actually find them on my usual sites and RSC is as gay as gay can be with their conversion rules.

lol - do you hate... :dnfnoob::thumb3d::munching_:cartman:
The C6 suspension is made with CarFactory. This means it will have the roll centres exactly where you want them, with exactly the anti dive / scrub radius / kingpin inclination / caster / roll camber rate you wish.

The result is 'too good' as it uses too long wishbones. A future version of CarFactory will incorporate 'limited space', making the suspensions not only look a bit more realistic, but behave a bit less 'good' as well.

Suspensions are too complex to simply look at and claim things; a good looking one could have a really unstable roll centre or some dodgy steering or..etc etc..

The M3 has a few problems that are far bigger. A 10cm too low centre of gravity and downforce are amongst them..

Quote :Given that, there will always be a need to fudge the numbers to get a particular desired behaviour. The trick lies in identifying what the desired behaviour should be and then figuring out how to fudge the numbers to produce that result.

Thats a big risk you then take.. I agree neither ISI nor LFS has 'near perfect' physics.. but as soon as you leave the path of 'realish values' it becomes subjective.. 10 people making the same car will result in 10 probably quite different handling ones. The main things you can get close to and keep em that way. (weight, inertia, centre of gravity, aero lift, basic suspension properties).. Tyres can't really be realistic and probably always are 'fudged', but believable slip angles (well a degree or two higher perhaps) and grip levels should imo still be used. The main thing where I 'fudge' for handling is in the drop off of grip after the peak; imperfections in the force combining seem to make any tire too hard to drive or too 'uncommunicating' in ISI, especially over the limit.

Thing is, you can't really cure the faults, only influence some symptoms by .. i dunno.. increasing the yaw inertia.. but then you're just entering a random zone where you try to make it work.

I've found more realistic tire curves for a performance tire and it doesn't work too well in the (work in progress) Z06. I think its the limits of the tire physics, especially the combining of forces, that simply is too far from reality. I can get away with stretching the peaks one or 2 degrees outward. With some 600kg of vertical forces and 700 lateral, I can believe the bits flex a bit and the chassis might do as well.. I can also ease the grip drop off knowing that the base curves are not too representative when the actual final force vector comes from pretty poor force combining.. But at the end of the day you simply can't make a car handle really well if the physics engine isn't good.. No matter how you fudge.
I played this M3 thing last night.

My God it's crap (but better than GTR, GTL and 99% of rFactor mods).

The handling is very odd - steering on the throttle = on throttle understeer vs off throttle snap oversteer. Steering goes very odd in both understeer and oversteer. Car has about 20% too much rear brake bias. Alternative suspension makes no difference that I can feel.

AI is also rubbish (on par with LFS, only with blocking). And their brake lights look silly...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG