The online racing simulator
Racing in leagues.
(57 posts, started )

Poll : Do you participate in league racing?

Closed since :
Yes, and I will in the future.
No, but I would like to.
Other
No, and I won't. (please post why below)
Yes, but I won't in the future. (please post why below)
I raced in the LFSCAR series for a few races, but school took away the time to be able to race. I raced in the OWRL 500 but I got spun and wrecked out around lap 45. I plan on racing in the 16 Hours of Aston Historic next month
Quote from Becky Rose :
If there was a serious league that restricted practice by only announcing the track an hour or two beforehand then I would be very interested.

There was, it was called the Multicup Twist by DBP it also had mixed cars.

Quote from Maelstrom :I'm just curious!
Is there any league with multiple divisions?
I mean like football! People going up or down from one division to another if they are at the top or bottom of their division!

Yep Bott & OLFSL has divisions or pools as they are called.
Quote from Becky Rose :If there was a serious league that restricted practice by only announcing the track an hour or two beforehand then I would be very interested.

Quote from danowat :I have floated the idea twice, both times with little or no interest

Aside from limiting practise I must say I really like the idea of announcing the track just hour before or so but as an event it will be very different. FLP did something like this some time ago. They had a combo randomizer app running which chose the cars and the track. Iirc it was 30min quali and 1 hour race. Once a week but it did die off after some 10 events...

It was good racing there and I wouldn't mind if they made a short new series of it
#29 - Nobo
Quote :They had a combo randomizer app running which chose the cars and the track.

I'd preffer fixing a car for the season personally. I like to have some consistency.
#31 - DeKo
I think it would be interesting having a league with random cars and tracks announced just before the practice or qualifiers. Would add something different to the leagues/races out there.

I would love to join but still needs lots of practice before even getting into a competitive level. Currently just not good enough.
Quote from Becky Rose :I'd preffer fixing a car for the season personally. I like to have some consistency.

I like the idea of limited practise for a race and sticking to one car for a season. That is pretty much my situation also, I just can't justify the time needed to get good at a bunch of different cars and tracks, not when I've got sooo many unfinished projects in RL that if I don't finish them will cost me $ I do enjoy CTRA race1 for that reason
I would like to be in a league, but I don't know of any which would have me.
Quote from DarkTimes :I would like to be in a league, but I don't know of any which would have me.

I think this is a common problem, leagues are thought of as quite an "elite" thing to do, I remember I felt the same before I did my first one.

All I can say is, and I can only speak for myself, not any other league admins, I would welcome ANYONE, aslong as they can drive clean and fair and show respect for other drivers.

We all have to start somewhere.
Quote from DarkTimes :I would like to be in a league, but I don't know of any which would have me.

I jumped in at the deep end for my first league, i joined the UXRL earlier in the year. You would be suprised at what that feeling can do to your driving. I finished 2nd in Div 2, about 4 points behind the winner, now i join a league usually as soon as one finishes, sometimes overlapping by a few races, i can't get enough
Ive never had the commitment/time to play in a league....I play in my spare time so I'm very much just for pick up games.

Racing a whole season with the same guys/having regular competitors does sound cool though.
I'm driving in 4 leagues at the moment. VR-Masters and VR-Longrun, V8-Cup and a the Teamcup of my team.
For the VR-Leagues you have to pay a small amount to participate (4€ per month) but I'd rather pay and have clean and fast races and a good management of the league than to drive with random people in a cup where there are always some guys that don't really know what they're doing.
Quote from danowat :I think this is a common problem, leagues are thought of as quite an "elite" thing to do, I remember I felt the same before I did my first one.

All I can say is, and I can only speak for myself, not any other league admins, I would welcome ANYONE, aslong as they can drive clean and fair and show respect for other drivers.

We all have to start somewhere.

This is true.

Not to mention the fact that most leagues are desperate for drivers.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Not to mention the fact that most leagues are desperate for drivers.

Yup, it is VERY hard to "attract" drivers.
Racing in a league sounds like a lot of fun to me and something I hope to do in the future.
But being almost new to LFS so far I have no clue what leagues I could join, etc. But i hope to figure some of that out comming weeks and sign up for one.
Vote: No, But i would like to.

Quote from DeadWolfBones :This is true.

Not to mention the fact that most leagues are desperate for drivers.

Which leagues are they? I almost rarely see leagues being advertised on the forum, although truth be told I don't go looking for them. Any time I have seen a league it's either been for a class of car I wouldn't feel competitive driving, or it looks badly organised and juvenile. If one came along that looked interesting and professional I would jump at the chance to get some organised fun. I personally would like to join a league which used cars like the Formula XR, or something like the XR GT Turbo and its ilk.

I did apply for a league recently, but they welcomed drivers based only on their PB at Blackwood, and I've never been hugely competitive there. I can race fine and get a decent result, but my lap times don't look great on paper (or more accurately pixels).
Racing in leagues is great! I'd taken part in the UF1 May-Hem Cup (UF Oweners Club Cup Season 1) by Zwarte Wind Racing and will take part in Season Two in November aswell if my time management allows it. I can say, everyone trys to compete fairly and on the limit in the same moment. You're on the edge of fairness between adrenalin and mind aswell, but arguments are just for theis single race.

I would like racing more in leagues, but some let's say interessting things of teenage-being and the fact school takes more and more time to stay well. :weeping:
Yes and will carry on to do so as long as time allows.

I agree with what is being said, leagues are for anyone who is clean. Also even if your not that quick, if your consistant you can do reasonably well in leagues
I would like to do a lot more, but time is a serious problem, especially the timezone issue. It really limits my leauge stuff to weekend mornings, which, when you have a family and whatnot can be prime time for actually leaving the house. Otherwise they run in the evenings over seas when I slaving away at work... like now... :hide:

I definitely plan to do more though, I'll find a way. I usually need a lot of notice too since sometimes my wife works on the weekends and that complicates things more.
I'm only eligible to compete in leagues via my team - I'm not entered in anything personally as an individual driver. I tried out the STCC as an individual, but soon discovered after the first round why I don't drive in leagues as an individual. I simply don't have the time required to practice, acquire and develop sets, and race at every event. I'd like to do more league stuff, but simply can't due to the amount of time it takes me to do so. :-/
Racing in leagues is just the most rewarding experience you can get in this online racing sim!
I voted yes and I will in the future. In fact I race exclusively in leagues and never on public servers.

I only race once every two weeks although I will do some pactice laps before a league race.

I compete and run the GFC which has been praised heavily by those who compete in it - see http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=30984

I am thinking about running an additional league alongside the GFC for season 2. See http://www.gentlefoot.com/LFS/forum/viewtopic.php?t=259

I would be very pleased to see some new faces come join us
Even then, the cream still rises to the top. I believe it was Peter Windsor who mentioned, on an F1 broadcast a couple years ago, that teams generally expect an F1 driver to be able to be up to speed in about 5 to 10 laps.

But anyways, there are those guys (and gals) who just have that gift of figuring out the right line and lack of practice IMO, and I'm one who takes lots of laps to get ahold of nuisances in a track, isn't that much of an equalizer as it might initially appear to be.

It's one reason we don't limit practice (not that we could mind you) in the LOTA premier series... usually the fast guys get smaller increments of improvements even with lots of practice, where those, like myself, often can make much larger improvements.

Quote from Becky Rose :If there was a serious league that restricted practice by only announcing the track an hour or two beforehand then I would be very interested.

Racing in leagues.
(57 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG