The online racing simulator
Uploading skins
(25 posts, closed, started )
#1 - XXXg3
Uploading skins
I was trying to upload my skins on LFS World and it said to resize them to 1024x1024. It said that it was 512x512 currtently. How do I go about doing this?
Which paint program are you using (Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, etc..)?
#3 - XXXg3
MS paint
lol
Paste the skin here. Ill make it 1024x1024 in a jiffy.
YOu should start all your skins at 1024 x 1024 size.

Basically download the CMX Viewer from LFS' site and you should get plain white default skins at 1024 x 1024 size. Skin on those and then when you're done, upload them to LFSW. For the skins you have now, you'd need to increase the size with some other paint program, but the detail or quality will be lost. That is why you want to start at 1024 size first.

I recommend using a different paint program though, do NOT use MS Paint. (Try PaintShop Pro or something, a Trial version)
#6 - XXXg3
ok thx, I just tryed downloading Paint shop pro and it said Invalid File when it was done...illepall
Ok, dont post the skin..
#8 - XXXg3
ok so I downloaded CMX veiwer. How do I resize my skins now?
What he said was "you should START with CMX viewer". You cannot resize skins with CMX viewer. However, just in case your reading comprehension is as below average as I believe it to be, the next time you make a skin, you should start with a blank template that's in CMX viewer.

Having said that, someone has already told you to post them up and they would be happy to resize them for you. Inexplicably, you have decided to go another route, so that person has now rescinded his offer. Paying attention can really pay off for you. You should try it sometime. I think you'll be happy with the results.
You resize them in Paint Shop Pro/Photoshop/MS Paint. The CMX VIEWER can't edit the skins.

Edit: Dang Nammit Operator, and by 6 minutes too!
Quote from Vendetta :Ok, dont post the skin..

Alright, you seriously made me fall of my chair with that one...:chairfall
Im sorry but I forgot to put the skin in my previous post and I thought he meant dont post it because apparently you have another route to go. When Tweaker said START with CMX veiwer I took it to mean I could start with a blank skin on CMX and edit it. Im sorry for being such a hopless failure at life and waste of forum space, Operator, but mistakes happen.
I'm wondering why LFSWorld requires skins to be 1024x768 because it automatically resizes them to 512x512? This makes them look more crappy compared to resizing them yourself or making them to 512x512 size from the beginning. LFSWorld stores also the 1024x768 versions so maybe it's for future?
Quote from XXXg3 :Im sorry but I forgot to put the skin in my previous post and I thought he meant dont post it because apparently you have another route to go.

And still, you havn't posted the skin.

Quote :When Tweaker said START with CMX veiwer I took it to mean I could start with a blank skin on CMX and edit it.

Yes, and by edit, he ment create your skin from scratch on that CMX Viewer template. Not:
Quote from XXXg3 :ok so I downloaded CMX veiwer. How do I resize my skins now?

Quote :Im sorry for being such a hopless failure at life and waste of forum space, Operator, but mistakes happen.

Well, you aren't completely hopeless. At least you don't type like some 12 year old jackass. So, maybe there is hope for you. Although I see that you're currently online at a drift server, so the jury's still out.
#15 - Gunn
Quote from deggis :I'm wondering why LFSWorld requires skins to be 1024x768 because it automatically resizes them to 512x512? This makes them look more crappy compared to resizing them yourself or making them to 512x512 size from the beginning. LFSWorld stores also the 1024x768 versions so maybe it's for future?

The size accepted by LFS World is 1024 x 1024, not 768

Why that size? As Tweak explained, making skins at 1024 x 1024 gives you better detail when resized to 512 x 512 than just making it at 512 would. So the devs have allowed us to upload a 1024 version for LFS world to resize. This means you get higher quality than you would if the limit were just 512 to start with.

However, if a skin has a file size of 400KB or more, LFS World will not just resize to 512 but will also compress the texture. This will cause a lot of quality loss because the compressor on LFS World is a basic tool unlike the advanced compression available in your graphics program.

So make your skin under 400KB @ 1024 x 1024 pixels and you won't suffer the extra quality loss from the extra compression. It is very possible to make great looking skins work at 512 x 512 but it is important to consider the starting size and file size if you are planning to upload it to LFS world.

@operator0:
quit the insults please mate. If you can't be patient with the guy you won't ever help him.
Quote from operator0 :And still, you havn't posted the skin.

Yes, and by edit, he ment create your skin from scratch on that CMX Viewer template. Not:

Well, you aren't completely hopeless. At least you don't type like some 12 year old jackass. So, maybe there is hope for you. Although I see that you're currently online at a drift server, so the jury's still out.

Totally uncalled for critique. And although you don't type like some 12 year old jackass, you do write like some 12 year old jackass...
Quote from XXXg3 :ok thx, I just tryed downloading Paint shop pro and it said Invalid File when it was done...illepall

Three possible (free) alternatives to psp are:

Paint.net
The Gimp
Photo Filtre

All available through here: http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/gmm/fwgraphicedit.html
Quote from Gunn :The size accepted by LFS World is 1024 x 1024, not 768

Oops.

Quote :Why that size? As Tweak explained, making skins at 1024 x 1024 gives you better detail when resized to 512 x 512 than just making it at 512 would. So the devs have allowed us to upload a 1024 version for LFS world to resize. This means you get higher quality than you would if the limit were just 512 to start with.

Yes but when you resize it to 512x512 usually small text and other small "stickers" looks like crap. I'm not that pro in photoshopping so it's just my opinion that it would be in some cases better to do a 512x512 version from the beginning. It's somehow annoying because you know that other players see the crappy looking 512x512 version of your skin, when yourself see the original version @ 1024x1024.

Quote :However, if a skin has a file size of 400KB or more, LFS World will not just resize to 512 but will also compress the texture. This will cause a lot of quality loss because the compressor on LFS World is a basic tool unlike the advanced compression available in your graphics program.

I know that. I'm not that n00b, I've even made few decent looking (IMO) skins. But I was just wondering this "issue". Maybe someday we can have a hi-res skin download option.
Quote :And still, you havn't posted the skin.

Ill have you know that I knew how to resize and upload skins by my 5th post.
I would attempt to come up with some clever retort but seeing as im a 12 year old jackass who doesn't know anything you would obviously come up with something that would totally devastate me. Thanks to Gunn and W1LLSD4D for actually being useful.
Quote from PLAYLIFE :Totally uncalled for critique. And although you don't type like some 12 year old jackass, you do write like some 12 year old jackass...

The difference is that I won't ask questions, then only read half the posts, then try to cover up that fact by proclaiming I "meant" to do something, all the while everyone knows I'm just trying to blow smoke up their skirt.

I'll tell you what's worse than that though. Defending the actions of said poster. Those are the kinds of guys that dont want to ban a wrecker because he hasn't wrecked them yet and they are of the mindset that we should "just give him a chance to change". Yeah, that always works out.

I mean, at least I don't do any of that.

**edit** Ok, I'm going to quite before I get into trouble. I'll be more than happy to continue this conversation with PLATEX and Mad TIzITe XXXg3 in PMs.
where exactly did I say I "meant" to do anything?
And now it is obvious that you are just attempting to piss me off seeing as you just pulled "Mad TIzITe" out of thin air.
Quote from operator0 :The difference is that I won't ask questions, then only read half the posts, then try to cover up that fact by proclaiming I "meant" to do something, all the while everyone knows I'm just trying to blow smoke up their skirt.

I'll tell you what's worse than that though. Defending the actions of said poster. Those are the kinds of guys that dont want to ban a wrecker because he hasn't wrecked them yet and they are of the mindset that we should "just give him a chance to change". Yeah, that always works out.

I mean, at least I don't do any of that.

**edit** Ok, I'm going to quite before I get into trouble. I'll be more than happy to continue this conversation with PLATEX and Mad TIzITe XXXg3 in PMs.

"PLATEX"? "just give him a chance to change" ? illepall

"Ok, I'm going to quite before I get into trouble":wtf2::rolleyes:

Don't even think about PM'ing me!!! I don't need to read such crap you produce.
-
(XXXg3) DELETED by XXXg3 : fff
PLAYTEX??? who's the 12 year old jackass now?
Another thread soon to be closed..... :rolleyes: C'mon, tis the season to be jolly, falla lala laaa, la lala laaaa.
Yes - i will close the thread before it gets even worse. Too many argument threads these days and it's no fun. In this case, operator0, you started with the personal insult in your first post. Better not make the post if you can't resist with a personal insult, maybe someone just didn't see something the right way the first time they read it. Text can be quite ambiguous at times.

Case closed.
This thread is closed

Uploading skins
(25 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG