The online racing simulator
AI - too slow?!
(24 posts, started )
AI - too slow?!
Hi ive played many simulation games, GTR, GTR2, GTL, Rfactor, but I have now come to this which I think surpasses them all definitely in the physics department.

Anyway I was wondering if there was a way to speed up the AI, because I get frustrated when i start from the back of the grid and I can overtake everyone on the first lap even on PRO

Any help would be GREAT

Cheers

Eatdirt
AI isn't finished, infact, isn't anywhere near workable ATM, best just to act like they aren't there.

Although, they do "learn" and after a fair few laps do become quicker, but no matter how many laps they do, they still make the same stupid mistakes over and over.........

Forget the AI, and race online, thats the only help I can give.
Quote from eatdirt13 :Hi ive played many simulation games, GTR, GTR2, GTL, Rfactor, but I have now come to this which I think surpasses them all definitely in the physics department.

Anyway I was wondering if there was a way to speed up the AI, because I get frustrated when i start from the back of the grid and I can overtake everyone on the first lap even on PRO

Any help would be GREAT

Cheers

Eatdirt

at the moment the AI sucks, it canot pit not qualify.
Scawen said that in the next patch he will upgrade the AI, probally then it would be better and faster.
#4 - Skil
If you're that fast, you should race on-line not with AI
I guaranty that most of racers won't be too slow for you
Quote from The Very End :Scawen said that in the next patch he will upgrade the AI, probally then it would be better and faster.

You might wanna post proof of that

I can't remember him categorically stating the AI would be improved in the next patch.........
Quote from danowat :You might wanna post proof of that

I can't remember him categorically stating the AI would be improved in the next patch.........

He did..in fact he hints at it in the fix of the server X12.
I stand corrected then (but hints aren't fact)
Quote from danowat :I stand corrected then (but hints aren't fact)

hes stated it a few times if you need proof then search
Meh, not really conclusive, but as I said previous, I stand corrected
Quote from eatdirt13 :Hi ive played many simulation games, GTR, GTR2, GTL, Rfactor, but I have now come to this which I think surpasses them all definitely in the physics department.

Any help would be GREAT

Cheers

Eatdirt

You can always turn this to your advantage, try using a slower car to their faster car ie you drive lx4 and they drive lx6, mix up the combinations until you find one that suits. Another option is to add weight to your car or restrict your power output.
Aye, good point that (one which I forgot about) power restriction is your friend.
Cheers for all your replies!

Danowat, Im also from Norfolk,

where are you from
Just outside Norwich
Quote from danowat :I stand corrected then (but hints aren't fact)

I know but he has also announced his going to attack it during the testpatches preceding to X. This is just proof he is on the case.
I'm really anticipating something special...AI was Scawen's specialty during Black & White development, wasn't it?
Quote from danowat :You might wanna post proof of that

I'm not gonna look for the message, but he did. It's somewhere in the Patch X topic.
Begin an AI-only race with the maximum number of laps with the combo of your choice, and then just leave it for a few hours.

By the time you come back the AI will have learnt to be much better.
Quote from DrDNA :I'm really anticipating something special...AI was Scawen's specialty during Black & White development, wasn't it?

i dont think u can compare these 2 types of AI...
i also dont think he was the only person working on the AI.
Quote from Crashgate3 :Begin an AI-only race with the maximum number of laps with the combo of your choice, and then just leave it for a few hours.

By the time you come back the AI will have learnt to be much better.

Only thing is when you restart that race they'll be worse because they don't know what tiretemperatures are
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :i dont think u can compare these 2 types of AI...
i also dont think he was the only person working on the AI.

I don't think it translates directly over but I imagine it's more an advantage than not.
sure, but he still does program it alone and i think programming AI is very complex.
maybe the current AI was a result of his previous knowledge.
Slower ai I can deal with (with handicaps and driving a different car to everyone else). The biggest problem in my opinion is that they seem to be completely oblivious to anyone not on their racing line (and even then it's iffy).

The whole 'race online' argument is pretty silly since it's not applicable to everyone. There are two servers that I get pings below 170ms on. Of these one is always empty and the other is private a fairly often.
Yeah I know good point, and as mentioned above the AI seem to be completeley unaware u are there.

EG - If you brake too early they will slam into you instead of trying to out brake you!

and if you spin out on the racing line they never attempt to drive around you either.

Needs alot of work!

Matt

AI - too slow?!
(24 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG