The online racing simulator
iPod engraving
(28 posts, started )
*UPDATED* iPod Touch Discussion
Is there any way to remove the engraving off of the back of the iPod 5g? Im going to sell my iPod, but dont want the person who buys it to have my name and address... if someone saw it, they thought it was stolen. Some things I was thinking about doing it:
  1. Taking it to a jewler
  2. Doing it myself with a dremel
  3. Replacing back (Voids warrenty )
PS: Its not the new iPod that apple has "iPod Classic", but its the one with either the white or black front.

Suggestions!
That's why mine isn't engraved. I don't know mate. Maybe you should go to a jewler, at least those people know what they're doing. If you do it with a dremel you might screw up the whole device. You'd better be careful
a key, and you're off to go. nobody will notice ...
lol what about brasso?
#5 - ajp71
Quote from imthebestracerthereis :lol what about brasso?

You'll have to remove a lot of material to get the engraving off, just polishing will take you forever. You'd have to sand down until the engraving is removed then refinish it with progressively finer paper then buff it and polish it, which if you've never finished acrylic is a complete bitch and I'd strongly recommend against doing if there's any other option.
Well I might sell it "as-is" for $XX dollars or take the engraving off and sell it for $XX+YY

(XX: iPod price, YY: how much I charge to take engraving off)

Just cut the engraving out, and add an acrylic window!
if I did that, you would see the blue piece (see attachment)
Attached images
ipod back.PNG
I was just kidding, I don't know anything about how an iPod is constructed.
oh... get back to studying your first week of school then, n00b!
any more suggestions?
is just say try molding on some plasic to cover it ( unless its the metal one where you can just soilder over...)
and reasonable suggestions
Just visit a jeweler.
nah, ill just keep this:

Quote from Sign I made :There is a pre-installed engraving, you can either leave it on there (you can’t see it with the case), or you can scratch it out yourself.

Instead of a window, install a mirror - some girl would love it
well, personally, you might not want to listen to me because im known to destroy stuff but, i would sand it down....until its reasonable, then get as a fine sand as you can, and sand it down a little more, and then whack a bit of brasso on or polish, and....? your set, but, it might like, break, you could try it though

Good luck anyway dustin
#19 - Jakg
If you take the sand-paper approach, you'll want somethng VERY find, ie 750+ grit fine.
yep, something as FINE as you can get, because i have my ipod engraved:

LOVE harjun
Mummy & Daddy

and it was very thin engraving....i haven't tried to remove it though....for obvious reasons, but if i were to, i would sand it down with VERY thin sandpaper
Quote from Batterypark :Instead of a window, install a mirror - some girl would love it

Definatly, just get a little mirror and put some super-strength glue on there. Make sure it doesn't ever come off.
Quote from Jakg :If you take the sand-paper approach, you'll want somethng VERY find, ie 750+ grit fine.

No, that wouldn't work. An engraving is way to deep. You would have to start with 600 grit sand paper, and then gradually work your way up to 800, 1500, 2500. And then polish it, as described earlier in this thread. And, 750 grit is not fine unless you are working with wood or MDF.
I already made up my mind. I'm just going to leave it on there. BTW, I'm selling my iPod for a "iPod Touch".

End of Discussion.
It's so difficult to press the buttons on the iPod touch. How are you supposed to hit a button when your finger is twice the size of the button? I went to the Apple store on sunday with some friends and we started playing on all the Ipods and macs and stuff.
I wanted the iPhone so badly but I dont have AT&T, so apple heard my wishes and made an ipod touch :wizard:

iPod engraving
(28 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG