The online racing simulator
RA car
(23 posts, started )
RA car
well hello im new to lfs..well i played the demo for a whilke and cause i loved it i got s2 liscence to day i just find the cars abit hard to handle

well can any1 give me any advise on steering the RA car? im doing the training part and the last mission for the RA car.

i find that when eva i try to steer the car gose out of controll

ty
Drive around on a track in Singleplayer, like a few laps or something. Then press ESC and choose to Save Replay. Once you save it, go out of the game and go to your LFS/data/spr replays folder. Find the replay you saved, and attach the replay file here to a reply. This way we can see what is going on with your driving.

Most of all, what do you use for steering the car? Keyboard, Joystick, Mouse, Wheel? It is recommended that you use a wheel, keyboard can be VERY challenging. If you cannot get that in time, use the mouse, mouse is actually very good and you can be a lot smoother.
And practice mate, I can't remember which one the RA is, but if it's rear wheel drive you have to go gently gently spank the monkey untill you are used to the way the arse kicks out. It might take a while for you but thats the thing about LFS, it's not really about instant gratification. Go play with some other cars for a bit and come back to the licence test. You might find that after a while with something else you'll come back to the RA and whip it's little derriere into shape.

Patience and play. Play and patience. And possible slow down a bit too, sounds perverse in a racing game but there is an old racing adage that goes; Slow in, fast out. Just take it steady and learn the car. You'll find your times will drop just by doing that.
RA= Raceabout, the convertible that likes to spazz out and kill small children. I've managed one lap with it before it's decided that it doesn't like me. As far as I can tell, it's the worst mannered car in LFS. The LX6 comes a close second but it's ok if you're a bit careful on the throttle.

Peter
Find yourself a nice understeery setup too.
#6 - evans
Quote from Daedelus :RA= Raceabout, the convertible that likes to spazz out and kill small children. I've managed one lap with it before it's decided that it doesn't like me. As far as I can tell, it's the worst mannered car in LFS. The LX6 comes a close second but it's ok if you're a bit careful on the throttle.

Peter

At least it's easy to correct the oversteer in the LX6.. I find that very hard in the RA! But yeah, do as Tweak said, post your spr
ok i did 1 but what should i use to link it up to the forum?
Quote from spacedeck :ok i did 1 but what should i use to link it up to the forum?

use the little paperclip (near top when writing post) to attach the spr from your LFS data/spr folder

SD.
The RA only runs on road tyres, so it is pretty quick, but cornering is not that fast in it, maybe your trying to go round corners too quickly?
RA car.spr

i dunno if its worked or not(took me loads of tries as i nver mannaged to finnish a lap)

NOTE: i wasnt going as fast as i would of if i was in the race but i still f*cked up^^

oh u know the frame rate thing i think it is(that number it shows in the top left hand screen)

how do u improve that?illepall
Attached files
RA car.spr - 44.6 KB - 279 views
Just watched the video through and there are a few things that are probably doing this.

1. It looks like a very skittish setup, try a differnt setup that should eb more stable

2. You need to be a little more smooth with your wheel, your very jerky on the wheel, which would make the back end step out

3. Dont stab the throttle, be a lot smoother with the throttle and accelerate smoothly out of the corner rather than just putting your foot down

You seem to be OK with the lines you are taking on the track, its just your too rough on the car at the minute.
ok ill try that forgot to say i use a mouse.

and it dont help sometimes with the framerate thing cause when i first start its like 20 - 30 then gose up (i normally no of getting around 45)

so hoiw do i improve that frame rate thing?

EDIT: were am i supposed to get a gd setup for the car?
go to the setup forum on here, there will be setups on there for all the cars, or ask in multiplayer as people are always usually happy to share their setups.

as for framerate, you will have to lower some graphics setting or try a lower resolution if you want it to run faster
with a mouse mate, you just gotta take things steady . . .

I am a fellow mouser and with a bit of setup tweakage and a little understanding that you can't put the same delicate control that Pedal users can utilise into the car you times will soon drop. Just take it steady.

Don't try and be fast, I think the test times you need to pass are actually fairly low. I got a intermeadiate score and that was first time with mouse . . . Just let the car work it's business and only put the boot in when you are straigtened out. But like I said before, practice. Just play with it until you are confident.
yay ive done it now

u lot are the greatest..cheers

i also found like when ur going in like 1st gear speed put the gear up 1 or two gears and that helped me keep controll of the car as well
A race car should never be in first for a corner . . . 1st is for pullaway only. No wonder you where slippedy slidy if you where using first through a corner, but you have learnt that now. And so your eduaction carries on, young padowan.
Quote from Funnybear :A race car should never be in first for a corner . . . 1st is for pullaway only. No wonder you where slippedy slidy if you where using first through a corner, but you have learnt that now. And so your eduaction carries on, young padowan.

I must say that i use 1st quite often, when i'm using really long gears, like in Aston Historic, i do about 110 in 1st (XFR), and in the really sharp corners I shift back to 1st.
Quote from ScarySquirrel :as for framerate, you will have to lower some graphics setting or try a lower resolution if you want it to run faster

ok im lost well in options and the grathics part is was saying i was useing around 28mb usage so i took some things away and now it says its only 10mb usage but the thing is that it seems to b worser of and not changed at all

EDIT: worked it outn now and its sorted
Quote from SoloNijN :I must say that i use 1st quite often, when i'm using really long gears, like in Aston Historic, i do about 110 in 1st (XFR), and in the really sharp corners I shift back to 1st.

Crikey! Do you use a mouse? You just can't get that kind of control to use first with a mouse. (If you can, let me into the secret). I even have second set as long as I can to give me stability through the bendy stuff.

First is just way to scary for me too use, If I change down into it at the wrong time the rear end swaps with the bonnet and gives me a great view or where I was going. If I use it mid corner I can't keep the rears from lighting up and the front swapping roles with the back and giving me another great view of where I was going and the bonnet of an angry hotlapper whose WR has just been crushed by a 1st gear using nOOb. Nah, 1st gear is not for wimps and mouse users. And I am both.
#22 - JTbo
Use as low steering lock as it is possible, this will stabilize RA, then I would say that 4 gears is enough, shifting takes time and car is not accelerating then, I use 1st only at starts with RA, in Aston National only tightest corners need 2nd, I drive that 180 degree corner with 3rd gear so I can start accelerating earlier, when boost comes in I'm already enough straight that tail won't jump aside, also this is faster way than with 2nd.

I like this car most because this is most difficult one, too bad that it is nearly impossible to have good online races with it, as many don't understand that it is not possible to push same speed in race than hotlapping with this car

Anyway, when I sift down I blip throttle myself, also release bit of braking, but with mouse this may not be possible so you need to shift down in vert low rpm, so low that if you would step on throttle car won't accelerate almost at all, then there is no problem of spinning. You can also make gear shifts when you start to apply throttle, between braking and accelerating, just need to be quick there.

Attached is setup that I'm still working on, I use wheel so there might be some oddities for mouse users.
Attached files
RA_stage_6.set - 132 B - 172 views
I got a wheel for christmas, and that helps to no end, the car is manageable(and I'm running stock), but it still catches me out frequently. Unforunatly, my wheel is a cheap one, an Elements "Twin-Turbo 2", with only 180º of travel on the wheel, and both pedals are on the same axis... I do like the squential shifter, and the handbrake though. A wheel, especially a good one is invaluable, although it takes some getting used to( I still haven't caught up to my times with the mouse)

Peter

RA car
(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG