The online racing simulator
Sticks and Stones may break my..
.. Tyres?

Here is my idea. Race tracks are never clean, There is odd bits of debris, dusty bits, wet bits, oil spills and the likes.

So why are none of these included in LFS?

Now I know adding all these types of variables could most likely kill any performance, however. What about the sounds for start (Stones hitting the car panels) or a random incident generator that occasionally throws an oil patch your way (Chances could increase depending on the # of cars on track etc)

You could take it one further, Stones chipping/cracking windows, obstructing your view and what not.

The possibilities are endless! I'd love to hear your views on it all =)
Quote from Orsenfelt :.. Tyres?

Here is my idea. Race tracks are never clean, There is odd bits of debris, dusty bits, wet bits, oil spills and the likes.

Now I know adding all these types of variables could most likely kill any performance, however. What about the sounds for start (Stones hitting the car panels) or a random incident generator that occasionally throws an oil patch your way (Chances could increase depending on the # of cars on track etc)

You could take it one further, Stones chipping/cracking windows, obstructing your view and what not.

That'd be great, if frustrating. But I think we should get at least a half-decent damage model in place.
I was worried this was another "kill my driver if I crash" thread :P

As good as these suggestions are, they've all come up in the past.

Still... +1
-1 for random oilspills.
+1 for oilspills when a crash has happened.
Quote from Orsenfelt :.. Tyres?

lfs need racing like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGcQhNFqy3I
that would be awesome
Yes but some oilspills too :P
Quote from okijuhans :Yes but some oilspills too :P

yes and bumpers coming off and hoods spoilers wheels and more!
+1 for oilspills
+1 for the main idea

Yes, it can be frustrating, but damn it would be a great feature, I mean, a race is never predictebal in real life, it shouldn`t be that in Live For Speed eighter
People complain about the unpredictability of wind never mind oil spills etc lol.

Personally though +1, Extra objects on track like water, oil, dirt etc. I don't think it should be random though. When damage is more developed then maybe when an actual car drops oil or water you would get a patch then.
Why people complain about the wind, it`s a great feature, and it`s great implented in LFS, it actual has a lot to say since the cars are very affected by this.

But anyway, as I said, and you said, it would be great with more objects on the track, and oilspills shouldn`t happend or occure before a car is damaged
Quote from The Very End :Why people complain about the wind, it`s a great feature, and it`s great implented in LFS, it actual has a lot to say since the cars are very affected by this.

But anyway, as I said, and you said, it would be great with more objects on the track, and oilspills shouldn`t happend or occure before a car is damaged

Just imagine a race on South City, first lap, first crash at the well known chicane wich is hard enough without oilspills. Crash mean oilsplitt ... 10 laps later, we can build an oil derick
Quote from shadow2kx :Just imagine a race on South City, first lap, first crash at the well known chicane wich is hard enough without oilspills. Crash mean oilsplitt ... 10 laps later, we can build an oil derick

Lol
That would be awesome
+1 For the Ideal. I'd like to see over reving cause a blown Motor, and flags to indicate like the Yellow Flag for for X amount of laps until debrie has been cleaned up...I want to see fenders, hoods, spoilers and more fly off the car when your involved in an accident and have effect on the cars handling...Hopefully we can expect something different in the later version of LFS
Would be a great idea, you see plently of race cars blowing oil gaskets from hard use, not just from crashes. So having oil spray on your windshield would be awesome too.
Quote from FC3SCorey :Would be a great idea, you see plently of race cars blowing oil gaskets from hard use, not just from crashes. So having oil spray on your windshield would be awesome too.

Agreed
i dont think Random" oil on tracks should be alowed.

but after a crash i think a oil slick with white powder or sand on it to clean it would be good, and when a car drives over it a dust cloud comes from it (like when your off the track)

but random oil spills and huge peices of debree i think no, because then people would complain about too many "noobs" crashing and then leaving debree in the track and arguments would form like that etc
Quote from Jimmy_Lemon : but random oil spills and huge peices of debree i think no, because then people would complain about too many "noobs" crashing and then leaving debree in the track and arguments would form like that etc

How so? If there is enough debris there would be a full lap caution and it would be cleaned up.
Knowing the devs and how fast the tires and other things disappear I can't imagine they would let parts lay on the track for an entire race.
Oil spills of any real severity usually result in a race being stopped, at least temporarily, as does any other debris on the track. Racing on oil slicks and dodging bumpers isn't part of motorsport.
The idea of dirt and oil on the screen is good, as long as they are not in sharp focus - we look through the screen rather than at it.
"Racing on oil slicks and dodging bumpers isn't part of motorsport."

I beg to differ...

Not lap after lap, but when there's a wreck in front of you, dodging debris is as important as dodging cars...cutting tires on debris...etc

Frankly, i think the S3 release should focus on the damage model more than anything. Of all the pieces that make a sim, the damage model is the worst in s2. Not only is it poor overall, but its different for each car. Some of the hard body cars will knock a wheel off camber just brushing the wall, but then in the open wheels, you can smack a wall at 50mph and drive off just fine.

I think damage should be DAMAGE. You pay for what you do. You spin and back it up into the wall and break the rear wing/spoiler...you lose rear grip.

Get rid of the "go to pits" option. That should be "retire from race" option. Stop people from being able to join races in progress. No need for someone that comes in with 2 laps left in a 50 lap race be able to cause problems for the leaders. If your damaged too badly to continue, your race is done.

I think there should be a "tow truck" option, that takes you to the pits if you're damaged and want to take a shot at rejoining. Doing so would make you wait (based on distance from the pits) before repairs started.

The damage model is very disappointing to me, its like a sub-arcade damage system in a super-sim game.
-1 until a damage model is implemented. A working damage model is more important
+1 after a damage model is implemented
+1 to the post above

Quote from sinbad :Oil spills of any real severity usually result in a race being stopped, at least temporarily, as does any other debris on the track. Racing on oil slicks and dodging bumpers isn't part of motorsport.

remember this?
Quote from aston martyn : and TC would be better in the F1 cars as ive seen videos of people spinning in the Formula 08, the BMW has TC, why not the other F1's?

The reason why the FO8 and FOX do not have TC is because their real life counterparts don't (ChampCar and Formula Renualt). Also, the FIA is requiring the removal of traction control from all F1 cars in the 2008 season.
Quote from de Souza :+1 to the post above

remember this?

That would at any other time result in a safety car or red-flag, but in any case, oil slicks stop races, debris on track stops races. You don't race around these things, you wait for them to be cleared up as well as they can be, and then begin the race again.
Obviously these things happen, but I said what I said as a response to the idea that oil slicks would be there lap after lap, and a bumper that was flung off a car will be there till the end of the race (like in certain other games), which is nonsense.
Quote from sinbad :Obviously these things happen, but I said what I said as a response to the idea that oil slicks would be there lap after lap, and a bumper that was flung off a car will be there till the end of the race (like in certain other games), which is nonsense.

but honestly I've never seen a race resulting in red flag because of some blown engine or some bumpers... even a safety-car is rare, unless it is was a very big crash. A yellow flag would do fine (btw, isn't there a flag for "slippery surface"?).
Quote from de Souza :

but honestly I've never seen a race resulting in red flag because of some blown engine or some bumpers... even a safety-car is rare, unless it is was a very big crash. A yellow flag would do fine (btw, isn't there a flag for "slippery surface"?).

Yes there is, which they put out to make drivers aware that it could be hazardously slippy, but if a few cars start crashing, then the safety car or even (depending on the progression of the race) red flag can go out because it's seen as unsafe. Just as if there is a load of debris which is causing punctures and there is no safe way to clear it. Usually some brave marshal will run on and retrieve a stray bumper, but in that video above, there could be so much oil put down that it's simply not feasible to keep the race in full flight.

You can picture the scene in LFS, someone near the front blows up, and because he's annoyed and won't be punished, he just drives along the racing line as far as possible, dropping loads of oil. If someone did that IRL, the race would have to be stopped, safety cars and red flags are show for much less.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG