The online racing simulator
#1 - Honey
Best way of copying LFS to my new PC [solved]
i want to transfer LFS to a more powerful PC,so i'm guessing what is best between the following two options:

- copy the current LFS folder to the new PC -> do i need to LOCK the account before copying and unlock again after copying? or the unlocked state will preserve with the different hardware?

- unzip a new copy of LFS to the new PC, unlock it and copy only configuration files and setups -> what are the config files that contain all graphic/game/credits/AI-training/whatever ?

i would prefer the seconf option, but except for setups i don't have any clue where all other informations are stored. Eventually i can lose AI-training because i don't care it very much, but if i can copy it, it's better.

thanks!
Just copy the original installation over to your new PC. You will have to unlock again anyways. No problem there.
#3 - Honey
thanks!

can you tell me what are the config files anyway? i'm kinda paranoid about backups and similar things
#4 - Krane
Remember that if you burn the files to a CD and copy those to the new pc, you need to remove the read only attributes (select LFS directory right click properties-> untick read only-> apply to this directory, subdirectories and files)
The misc folder should do it , as it's where (amongst others) the player profiles are stored.
#6 - Honey
thanks guys! ...i took a look into the lfs files and i see three "cfg" files in the main folder, they seem to be related to graphics and controller preferences, should i consider those too?
can't do any harm - the cfg.txt is the most important one, don't worry yourself about the others (but they're tiny, so you might as well).
ai files are stored in /data/kwn
and if you want to keep youre replays you might want to consider copying the /data/mapr and spr folders
and maybe you shouldnt copy your graphics cfg file from the root directory if your new pc has a different graphics card
#9 - Honey
thanks! now i think i know all i need to know to backup
Either you copy the entire LFS folder over, or you unzip a new copy then start copying the cfg files, misc folder, skins, skins_x, settings folder, mpr and spr folder (if you want to keep your replays), etc. By the time you're done moving the files that have generated since you first installed LFS, it really isn't much more to copy everything. Then it's just one folder to move everything rather than sorting through and moving all the individual stuff.

Example, with skins, mprs and stuff, my LFS folder is 1.22 gig (I save alot of replays, have pitspotter, f1perfview, LFS unofficial Benchmark, Stats, Mecanik, etc). The files I'd want to copy over to keep is 953 mb a difference of 267 mb for the lfs files that would come from unzipping again. I'd just copy the whole folder rather than sorting through the skins, setups, and replays, then having to unzip LFS and all the unofficial add-ons again.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG