The online racing simulator
Is Grand Prix Legends easy to get hold of?
(44 posts, started )
I've heard I lot of positive comments about GPL on these forums, and as someone who is enjoying driving the single seaters in LFS I'd like to give it a go.

I know it is an old game, but is it possible to get it on the high street these days, or legitimate download (Source etc)?

Also, if I can get hold of it, what addons etc would you recommend I download to get the best out of it?

Cheers,

Andrew
There's a demo of it which I'd first try before buying it. For example when I tried it it had stability problems and couldn't run correctly with Cool'n'Quiet either.
GPL is still a classic game and one of the finest hard-core sim racing games available.
Go over to Blackhole motorsports forum and download the GPL2004 demo for free, its got all the hours of updated graphics and tweaks to get this old game working sweetly on a modern system.
http://www.bhmotorsports.com/GPL/downloads/3239
After all these years its still my favourite PC game ever.

Once you have the demo working theres loads of addon tracks and offline play content you can download, as well as stuff for on-line racing connectivity.
#4 - ajp71
Download and use the 2004 demo. You can download the addon tracks for that, if you like it and it's stable then you can pick the disc up for a fiver in budget form and copy the other original tracks across.
Got mine off eBay (or was it Amazon??) second hand for £2.00
Thanks for the advice, downloading the 2004 demo now..
Just use Bittorrent.

@Nuse: It does not violate forum rules to write "Just use Bittorrent", as I did not post a link to illegal software, and I did not post illegal software.

Quote :
2) I shall not post illegal software or post links to illegal software on this forum. Illegal software is software published without permission from the author or copyright owner.

#8 - w126
I'd strongly reccommend using the GPL installer from this thread at RSC:

http://forum.racesimcentral.com/showthread.php?t=288457

You must have the original disc to install the game (it's not a stand-alone complete download) but it makes sure you've got all the relevant official patches (up to 1.2.0.3, I believe) as well as some unofficial patches (Direct3D rendering and 'carsound' patch) and all the latest car and track updates.

It's a big download but IMO it's worth it if you're new to GPL and haven't got all the little bits individually.
Yep, spend the 5 quid on an original disc, patch it up like mad (it's been made very easy with an all-in-one patch thingy, follow Stewarts' link) and you'll be glad you did The RSC GPL forum is a nice place to hang out too - full of helpful, passionate car-heads :up:

Once you're able to control the diabolical 1967 bastards (tip: the default setups are next to useless so search the GPL forum for some useable ones), I suggest you hook into the 1965 and 1969 season mods (1966 Mod due in the next several months) and start hotlapping the 500+ tracks for your Monster Rank - oughta keep you occupied for a decade or so Or you could be revolutionary and do the years in order ...
Can you use mouse steer? If so, I'll give it a shot. You guys are always talking it up.
Mouse steer? Witchcraft. Heresy!

Also next to impossible with GPL (as is keyboard driving - but some people do manage quite well). I suggest a wheel or at least a joystick to get the most of out of it :up:
Is there a difference between using that GPL installer thing and the 2004 demo?

Quote from Electrik Kar :Can you use mouse steer? If so, I'll give it a shot. You guys are always talking it up.

I'd strongly recommend against it unless you have really fine control over the throttle and ideally, are able to use the throttle and brake independently.
The 2004 demo's patched the right way but you can't use it online (iirc). The GPLPS thingy is to patch a clean CD install of GPL to get it ready to use straight away. It makes it a very simple process for a new user (or an old user who's had to start from scratch for whatever reason).

Quote :The GPLPS GPL Installer was built with the idea of simplifying the somewhat complicated process of installing GPL. We've all read the comments in the forums in our community where a racer is asking "what downloads do I need?" and "what order do I put them in?". And of course there are some of the common installation setup problems. Then there are the requests for better-looking graphics for the cars and the tracks. This program will solve all those problems with a simple, user-friendly interface.

If you use the GPLPS GPL Installer, when you're done you will have a working GPL 1.2.0.2 version with the Carsound, latest D3D/OpenGL rasterisers, and the Bandwidth patches applied. You'll have the excellent GPLEA cars, and the most popular, historically accurate track updates from various artists for ten of the original eleven Papyrus tracks. We have not installed updates for Monaco however, as there are several update packages available (most notably perhaps is the "Monaco Rocks" update) that have different performances on various systems. So we've decided to leave the choice of Monaco updates that you want to use up to you.

Your install will be fully functional, and will be ready to happily accept the installation of GEM+ and the wonderful mods available for GPL if that's something you want to do.

Get in there :up:

nb: You'll need GEM+ installed before you install the '65 and '69 Mods.
Quote from Hankstar :The 2004 demo's patched the right way but you can't use it online (iirc). The GPLPS thingy is to patch a clean CD install of GPL to get it ready to use straight away. It makes it a very simple process for a new user (or an old user who's had to start from scratch for whatever reason).

No the 2004 demo (and original demo) is identical to the full GPL with one difference, it only has 1 track, you can change it into the full version by just copying the track folder from your CD (no need to install the folders are loose on the disc). I used the 2004 demo + original tracks online without any problems, now I wish to install GPL again (and GEM) so I'm wondering which is the easiest solution.
Quote :Mouse steer? Witchcraft. Heresy!

I know. I feel so dirty.

(but I can't get a wheel until I settle back in Aus next year )
Quote from Electrik Kar :
(but I can't get a wheel until I settle back in Aus next year )

There were some very fast people with joysticks in GPL, a completely unnatural way to drive a car if you ask me but they seemed to manage it and some choose a good (but fairly cheap) joystick over a low quality wheel (when good wheels were expensive and DFP money set you back a crappy console style wheel that often had to use combined pedals).
Quote from ajp71 :No the 2004 demo (and original demo) is identical to the full GPL with one difference, it only has 1 track, you can change it into the full version by just copying the track folder from your CD (no need to install the folders are loose on the disc). I used the 2004 demo + original tracks online without any problems, now I wish to install GPL again (and GEM) so I'm wondering which is the easiest solution.

Well, the GPLPS installer includes GEM and iGOR so I'd still say it's the easiest way to do things. Oh, and the GPLPS installer comes with big updates to 10 of the 11 original tracks.
Quote from StewartFisher :Well, the GPLPS installer includes GEM and iGOR so I'd still say it's the easiest way to do things. Oh, and the GPLPS installer comes with big updates to 10 of the 11 original tracks.

Ah right sounds like that's what I want

Downloading...
Quote from Greboth :Bit off-topic but that site looks good, specially with GPL and RBR both for £4.99 and then you get a free game . I don't know the site so bit reluctant to use it, anyone know it or used it?

Never used their website but you can buy their games for the same price in most PC stores. GPL is their best selling title ever so you should be able to find it relatively easily.
Quote from ajp71 :Ah right sounds like that's what I want

Downloading...

Oops! It doesn't include GEM and iGOR...very sorry. I've just checked and I installed them seperately from the GPLPS installer. The d/l link for the latest GEM/iGOR is here:

http://gem.ebi-service.de/GEM/GPLS_0424.exe

Sorry about that...hope I didn't confuse anyone!
I am soooo confused right now. So you can make the 2004 Demo into the full version how?
I'm having an issue with gaps showing between the tiles of the horizon and generally fuzzy textures, I had this before and changed something to make it work but I can't remember what I need to do had anybody got any more suggestions?

EDIT - I had forgotten to switch to Direct X, problem gone now, just need to figure out why I've got no FF

Quote from Kevin. :I am soooo confused right now. So you can make the 2004 Demo into the full version how?

The only difference between the full and demo versions of GPL is the demo only had one track, this was only caused by the lack of the files for the other tracks, if you added them they worked fine. If you're unsure what to get I recommend you download the GPL 2004 demo which will let you try all the cars and one track (Watkins Glenn) it includes all official and third party software patches you need and graphical updates.
Quote from ajp71 :EDIT - I had forgotten to switch to Direct X, problem gone now, just need to figure out why I've got no FF

Have you got the following lines in your 'core.ini' file?

[ Joy ]
allow_force_feedback = 1 ; Use FF if device has it 0 = No * 1 = Yes
force_feedback_damping = 40 ; force feedback damping coefficient - Default = 40.0
force_feedback_latency = .085 ; force feedback latency (secs) - Default = 0.085 0.0040000
max_steering_torque = 225 ; steering torque in N*in giving max device force - Default = 225.0

The numbers in here are the defaults set by the GPLPS installer. I've not tweaked them in any way, so don't worry if the numbers don't match. The important thing is that the lines exist and that allow_force_feedback = 1!

(44 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG