The online racing simulator
Comments about a laptop.
(9 posts, started )
Comments about a laptop.
Hi.

I´m thinking of buying a laptop but I´d like some opinions on it, like is it a good deal and the most important thing in the world: will it run LFS?

This is what I´ve found so far and I think it looks like good value for money. I don´t have much money to spend. Really, I don´t.

Acer Aspire 5102WLMi

AMD Mobile Turion64 X2 TL-50 1,6GHz
1024MB DDR2 533MHz
80GB 5400RPM
ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 128MB
15,4" 1280 x 800 WXGA Crystal Bright
DVD+-RW DL
2,8kg
Windows XP Home

Price: ~390£
#2 - CSU1
abit overpriced @ £390 imo.

The cpu is abit on the slow side...it would kind of run other games but LFS does need about 3ghz to run good...for £390 you could get a much much faster desktop pc
Quote from CSU1 :abit overpriced @ £390 imo.

The cpu is abit on the slow side...it would kind of run other games but LFS does need about 3ghz to run good...for £390 you could get a much much faster desktop pc

It´s dual core so it´s should be 2 x 1,6GHz. But then again I´m no computer geek so what do I know.

And I can´t carry a desktop computer around.
Quote from Kalev EST :It´s dual core so it´s should be 2 x 1,6GHz.

Having a dual core does not mean you get double the speed, it's just better at multitasking then a single core cpu.
#5 - arco
And GHz doesn't tell anything about the actual speed of the cpu. A 2GHz can be faster than a 3Ghz one, it all depends on what cpu and what technology is used.
For £400, you could build a really nice desktop.

Do you want everything? Case..mouse..etc?
I have an old Ferrari 4005. That runs LFS quite nicely, but the build quality lacks a little. That and the fact that the support is next to non-existant for slightly older models makes me advise you to go with another brand.
I've heard good things about IBM/Lenovo, HP and Asus. The Lenovo's might cost a bit more, but they're definitely worth it.
Hmmm, I recently bought the same laptop, but the 'vista aero ready' version (I guess). It has 2gb of ram, an x1300 and a 160gb HDD.

I haven't tested LFS on it yet, but it should run just fine; the laptop also runs Anno 1701 at medium-ish graphics perfectly.

There's probably still a big difference between the x1100 and the x1300 though. I'll have to give LFS a quick test on it and see what happens

Edit: 35fps with 11 AI on-screen in Blackwood (demo mode) and 75-90 fps in hotlapping mode.
The settings were on default, seems very playable on my laptop, but I don't know how much the extra components in my lappy matter, nor do I know how it would perform in a full server =)
Thanks for the help.

What do you think of this one? Dell Inspiron 1501 It´s a bit more expensive at 450£ but Dell should be a more reliable brand than Acer and it has a 3 years warranty.

Comments about a laptop.
(9 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG