The online racing simulator
Bug ATI X1600
(30 posts, started )
#1 - coast
Bug ATI X1600
I have an ATI X1600 256megs

I play normally at LFS when the screen freeze for 10 seconds, then return to normal.
After I have a message for an error message for my graphic driver

I tried several version of graphic driver and its always the same problem

Somebody can help me??

(i'm french, sorry for my bad english.. i do my possible)

An amazing GFX doesnt make up for the lack of a decent CPU

My x1900 wont make my P4 3ghz perform like a conroe.
and this should be in techinal thingy.
What exactly is the error message? The specifics always help in solving these kinds of problems.
ooh i have a problem like that... i think it's related to videocard overclocking i think... but it happens to me even when the VC is running stock...

2 or 3 seconds from starting a race, or loading a replay, the game freezes along with the audio for 2 to 3 seconds, then return to normal... this would happen everytime i switch tracks or when i return to the main screen
#5 - coast
I have just formatted my computer, download the last version of my graphic card and reinstall my LFS 0,5V and its still the same problem..

Somebody can help me?
can you post the exact text of what you are getting??

also the brand, and complete model of your videoboard...

i've had problem with factory overclocked videocards before, it might be something like that...
#7 - coast
the error message is there:
http://www.monchar.com/gallery/coast/buglfs.bmp

my videocard is Radeon X1600 series by ATI technology 256mg

I try other version of lfs and still same problem
I play lfs since 1 year and I never had problem before
Turn off Fast Write in your graphics card settings ,that should do the trick. Also try Omega drivers, it'll help maybe .
i dont know what that error means coz i dont speak french, but try to switch off VPU Recover and disable fastwrite
Ive got an ATi X1600 256MB Pro and i dont have this problem so it cant be a bug with the game because everyone with that card would get the same problem and i dont so it must be how you have got it configured in the ATI Catalyst Control Centre
i am using ATi X1600 256mb as well but i dont have the problem u mentioned..
Also it does not really matter if its an X1600PRO/XT, amounts of MEM etc. it's an RV530, that is the main thing to look at and to compare too. I also build a machine for a friend with the same card. He plays LFS over a year now without such problems. Every performance enhancement feature (like fast writes) is turned ON. Lately we switched the OS to Vista and it still works like a charm, LFS runs fine too.

If u have this problem since u switched your videocard (don't know what u had before) i guess there is something wrong with this particulair card u bought. You should try if you have the same problem playing other games. Switch back to old videocard and check if its all working correctly again.

Videocards that have problems out-of-the-box seem to get more common. I also got a X1950PRO AGP which did work a tiny bit (pc did POST, but windows was a no-go). I got two of em, so i switched it with the other one and everything worked ok. After a lot of testing i figured to keep my older Geforce 7800GS AGP and got rid of the ATi's entirely. Nothing really wrong with the X1950PRO btw, but that dicision was based on performance.

Don't try too hard figuring out the problem on the softwarefront, replace your videocard and u are more likely to figure out where the problem is. U count things out doing so.
I hope you get your problem solved soon, this kind of failures can get so nervebreaking... good luck
I'm gonna pretend I'm Niko and say "maybe it's overheating". Use AtiTool and check the temperatures, they should be below 90 degrees. Mine are around 50 degrees, which is good. Also make sure it is not overclocked.
Where are the temperatures on ATiTool? I have the 0.26 version and I don't see it anywhere
Check the attatched image. Fan speed (in %), GPU temp, and GPU environment temp. Some older ATI cars (7000, 7500, 8500, and maybe 9000, 9200, 9700) don't have temperature sensors so that's why you may not see anything. I am using an sapphire radeon 9600xt. Also, make sure that temperature monitoring is enabled, and fan speed is overriden to 100% in the settings.
Attached images
Untitled-1.jpg
Well, I don't have those boxes showing on my ATiTool window. I tried using a X1650XT and a X600 and they both don't show a temperature window. Both my GFX's are fan-less though.
I honestly don't know what to say because it shows these boxes by default ... maybe try uninstalling it, then installing it again. Also, what does it look like when you minimize it to the system tray? Mine shows the GPU temperature, in fact this is the only reason I use AtiTool.
the temperature of my videocard is about 45
i have change nothing on my computer
all was ok before

and now i can't play 10min without freeze
to be honest you are best off contacting ATi although they were a complete waste of space when i contacted them about an issue i had. But before you do contact them who makes your X1600? is it Saphire or ATi theirselves?
where I can download atitool for check my videocard temperature?
Please try to turn off Fast Write, certain systems don't seem to be stable with that feature turned on and turning it off has no degrading effect on the performance of the card. I had a 9600XT and it was doing the same thing to me, turning off Fast Write solved the problem. Now I have a Sapphire X1650 PRO and it also did the same things to me, and again turning fast write off solved the problems. 45°C is pretty normal, my card goes up to 80+°C and still works perfectly ( i read somewhere that the max temperature the card can handle is around 110+°C ) .
So, once again, please say something about your "Fast Write" settings ! If it's already turned off, then i apologyze p:
I try to turn off fast write but I don't know where I have to go

I search in Catalyst control center but I see anything talking about Fast write..

thx for your help
Look in catalyst control center under SmartGart, it should be there. For me fast write and agp write are both off. You can also turn off fast write from the BIOS, when your computer boots you must press a key to enter the bios setup. I don't know which key, it should say somewhere on the screen. Once in the bios, you have to look for it and turn it off.
Nope, it shows nothing about my temperature at all. I've tried it before, tried it now, never once had seen my temperature on ATiTool.

Bug ATI X1600
(30 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG