The online racing simulator
Movies about Racing and Cars
(47 posts, started )
Hi everyone...
Im about to have some time off, and I'd like to see some racing movies...and movies about cars
so far my knowlege of them consists of
F'n'F comedies
Cars pixar movie (I enjoyed that for some reason)
Some cheap Fat and Furious wannabe movies
Driven
Days of Thuder (the best one Ive seen so far)
Christine (old movie...not about racing...but still quite nice...(I'd choose the Fury over the girl if I was the main character)

the thing is, what good movies were there?
anyone has any tips what to watch?
cannonball run 1&2
Smokey and the bandit 1,2 and 3 (gotta love the trans)

Quality films
try Days of Thunder..corny Tom Cruise movie, or go the whole hog and try and find Le Mans...Steve McQueen Classic!
If you want to see some great car chase type movies, then Bullitt has to be the reference movie!
#4 - amp88
Yeah, I love Christine, great flick :up:

Here's my list:

Grand Prix (1966)) by John Frankenheimer - the greatest era, the greatest cars. No contest, hands-down winner. Crap plot but who the hell cares?
Le Mans (1971) starring Steve McQueen - not as good as GP but the cars are just magnificent.
Bullitt (1968) also starring Steve McQueen and the best car chase ever between a Dodge Charger and a sweet Mustang - it's particularly sweet because it's Steve doing his own driving in his own car :up:
Vanishing Point (1971) - awesome, starring some dude and a 1970 Dodge Challenger
Gone In 60 Seconds (1974) - too cool, beats the crap out of the Nic Cage remake
The Italian Job (1969) - nothing beats proper Minis
Mad Max (1979) & Mad Max 2 (1981) - not racing, but ridiculous muscle cars in a post-apocalyptic Australian wasteland is too sweet to miss
Initial D (2005 - live action, not anime) - I'm not a big fan of the series, but it was awesome to see the real cars doing the real Mt Akina :up:
C'etait Un Rendezvous (1976) - very short, it's a bumper-cam view of some guy hooting through the streets of Paris very early in the morning, allegedly in a Dino. It's become a cult classic, mostly because the director has never owned up to who did the drive and in what car (likely because it was him, in a Citroen 2CV and he sped the footage up and added a Ferrari soundtrack ).

That should keep you occupied for a coupla days

Edit: yep, Ronin rules and, of course, there's always Blues Brothers for some wholesale carnage and Dukes Of Hazzard (2005) because ever since I was a kid I've been in love with that orange Charger

There's a lot of old films in my list, mostly because (a) most of the best cars in the world were made before I was born and (b) back then, filmmakers were a little less timid and couldn't rely on CGI to get things done - if you wanted to destroy a car, you had to actually do it
What you guys think about gone in 60 seconds. quality I thought when it came out. Plus I just like Nicolas Cage.
#7 - Bean0
Taxi (and 2, 3, and 4)
Gone in 60 sconds

Also some good chases in the Mad Max films, and The Blues Brothers.
Quote from Bean0 :Taxi (and 2, 3, and 4)

Also some good chases in the Mad Max films, and The Blues Brothers.

Mad max films are great apart from beyond the thunder dome, Didnt it have tina turner in it?
Oh yeah, the first two Bourne films have some pretty sweet car-chase action in them too (but they're mostly spy thrillers).

FOGlegsy, here in Oz we don't mention consider Mad Max 3 a proper Mad Max film as there weren't enough fully sick muscle cars
ok, so for now we have a list of

F'n'F 1-3 (good for a laugh)

Cars pixar movie (quite enjoyable for car enthusiasts)

Taxi (and 2, 3, and 4) (I prefer the third part - looks less of a peugeot commercial)

Gone in 60 seconds (original and remake)

Driven (not exactly a good racing movie, but quite a nice movie nontheless)

Days of Thuder (nice one)

Christine (good old movie about a haunted Plymouth Fury '57)

Grand Prix (1966)) didnt see it - but will try to

Le Mans (1971) same here

Bullitt
(1968) I have heard about this...never seen it though

Vanishing Point
(1971) - awesome, starring some dude and a 1970 Dodge Challenger

Gone In 60 Seconds
(1974) - too cool, beats the crap out of the Nic Cage remake

The Italian Job (1969) - nothing beats proper Minis

Mad Max (1979) & Mad Max 2 (1981) - I love part 2 - mostly because fallout 2 atmosphere and the rusty "LAST OF THE V8"

Initial D (2005 - live action, not anime) - Good movie in opposition to ricer movies - a lot of mountain driving and drifting with proper techniques shown...

Ronin - great chase scenes

Blues Brothers - blues mobile, a classic

Dukes Of Hazzard (2005) - that's the one I definetly want to see somehow...

I believe this list is going to grow from now on...maybe useful not only for me... (the more movies you mention, the more I get the feeling I got amnesia - Ive seen a lot of them...)
C'etait Un Rendezvous - WHO HASNT SEEN THIS YET? GO GET IT NOW!

Quote from Infiniti :What you guys think about gone in 60 seconds. quality I thought when it came out. Plus I just like Nicolas Cage.

I thought it hasnt got enough chase scenes... and I thought the flight of the Eleanor was ridiculous...and I almost cried when they (TEH BAD GUYS) crushed it...
#12 - JTbo
Rat Race if you like to have great laughs and not too serious racing film, kind of like cannonball run but bit different.

Don't never ever waste your time with Fast and Furious crap
Quote from JTbo :Don't never ever waste your time with Fast and Furious crap

I did... and I dont regret it... now I have some movies to bash when spending some time at the bar...
Taxi. Only the first part though. had the best music,chases were done extremely well...2,was too much of a comedy for me,3 was god damn awful and the moment I saw the CGI in 4 I puked.
That is the one on the top on my list.

Then its Ronin,Bullit,Le Mans and Gran Prix.

That's it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b_a6PazdaA
Quote from Hankstar :Dukes Of Hazzard (2005) because ever since I was a kid I've been in love with that orange Charger

Your not alone brother

I have recently bought Bullitt on DVD, I haven't got round to watching it yet, so I should. I own most of what you have all said and can think of anymore right now.
Christine ( not for the fury but for the football player´s charger)

Cold sweat (Charles Bronson driving a leather top Opel Commodore A Coupe - like me )

Toten Hosen - Azzuro (Musicvideo with a Opel Rekord C Coupe)

Bullit (with Big Steve)

LeMans (also with Big Steve)
--------
Climb Dance (Ari Vatanen´s 405 PP ride)

Audi S1 (impressive PP stuff)
#17 - JTbo
I did found Dukes of Hazzard bit too redneck and simple movie to enjoy from it, that movie felt mostly annoying for me.
Death Race 2000 - No plot, ugly cars, ridiculous outfits, awful film, watch!

The French Connection - Gene Hackman acting > Cars, but they wang in a chase for good measure.
Quote from LFS Drifter :Gone is 60 Senconds, The Itailan Job ( anyone notice the Self repairing minis ?) Dukes of Hazzard, That movie is hillarious i got it on DVD, Rat Race, not nessacarliy a car movie but funny as hell, Taxi ( The US Version), not the best car movie but awesome chase. and probably the Best Car movie is Transformers, not all about cars but Chases and the fights are awesome. And theres One More, i cant think of the name, its a older movie, kinda like a road race, lots of old cars, UHHH i cant think of the name now. Someone probably posted it
and Btw, since ive seen the Dukes Of hazzard long ago, Love that Charger too... So apparntly Im Not Crazy

I watched the american version of Taxi and I can say:The french version> american version. always have,alyways will.
I just remembered about Thunderbolt, starring Jackie Chan.
Saw it on TV years ago, can't really recall if it was any good or not though.

Quote from Thunderhead :I watched the american version of Taxi and I can say:The french version> american version. always have,alyways will.

This man speaks the truth
#21 - JTbo
Well, american Power Rangers is quite stupid but Dairaiders is having actually some sort of plot, so perhaps from this bases I could agree French Taxi being better too than it's american counterpart

It is often that for US movies are somehow made more simple and in some cases they loose that something that made them interesting.
Quote from JTbo :Well, american Power Rangers is quite stupid but Dairaiders is having actually some sort of plot, so perhaps from this bases I could agree French Taxi being better too than it's american counterpart

It is often that for US movies are somehow made more simple and in some cases they loose that something that made them interesting.

well it's mostly because the french version had a more believeable lead character and "the transformation" too,because no stupid CGI graphics were used in it..
American Graffiti (1973) by George Lucas

It's actually more about growing up, but cars do play a major part in it. I've seen it 15 years ago, I think, but I remember that I enjoyed it.
Hey,what was the name of that movie where Gene Hackman(I think atleast) chases a Chicago Metro train with a car? I remember faintly that I watched that.....
I'm glad this thread came up, I'm also looking for some decent car movies...

Quote : Cars pixar movie (quite enjoyable for car enthusiasts)

I read an interview with the guy behind Cars yesterday in an old Top Gear magazine, about how they really tried to get things right with Cars. He said too many movies don't do enough research into their subject and end up losing plausibility as anyone knowledgeable about cars will immediately be able to spot mistakes. He mentioned that Grand Prix was pretty much the only movie he knew enthusiasts could really find plausible at all...

Hank, I can't believe you didn't add The Cars that Ate Paris to your list. Aussie director Peter Weir's first movie, and it's got Bruce Spence in it. It's pretty bizarre and cultish, but worthwhile if you're in the mood. A good 4am, wasted after being out all night flick.

Also, I'll add Night on Earth, by Jim Jarmusch. It's a slow moving, cool as a cucumber road movie, boasting excellent dialogue in the now famous Jim Jarmusch style. Funny, touching, very intimate and beautifully human. And every scene has a taxi in it.

(47 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG