The online racing simulator
Camera Showoff
(5560 posts, started )
Some really good pictures in there jibber. One question about your lens though, a friend of mine was thinking about buying the 28-135mm IS lens for his canon 30D, and I've read that they're a little slow when it comes to autofocusing, how true is that?

Because I know my 55-200 VR takes much longer than the 18-55mm standard lens.

I just need to read my manual and stuff, I just figured out how to do burst mode with it, which would have been helpful last weekend.

Problem is, I'm moving tomorrow into a totally different location compared to here, so all my ideas I had for here are pretty much washed away.. owell, at least I'll be able to be surprised (hopefully) and get some good pictures from where I'm going to be the next four years.

@Quietus, I never thought of that, thanks for telling!
(Always wondered what those were for)
I have a Canon 350D, with the "kit" 18-55mm Lens, I also have a 70-300 USMII lens that I use for "track work".

I really must remember to take my camera out more, I always seem to forget it whenever I I go anywhere and always think, damn that would have made a good pic, wish I had my camera.
#28 - JTbo
Ok, took funny pic today. This is piece of tarmac at finnish road, but at least my eyes tend to do little tricks, first I saw this there was not rocks, but holes in it, but when I look that bigger grey hole bit right and above center of pic suddenly I see rocks and not holes, don't know if it works for you and bucket certainly lowered resolution quite a bit...

Pic

Took it with Ixus 75.
Thanks for the comments on my pics I have the kit lens for the D70, which is an 18-70. It's not amazing but perfectly adequate for the kind of photography I'm into. That's the one I have used for all but two of the shots I posted. The bluebells shot was taken with a 70-300 Tamron which is cheap and slow but does the trick! The shot of Mt Baker with all the fog was taken with an old 2mp Toshiba compact camera. I'd love to spend some decent $$$ on lenses as I've seen some simply amazing shots with decent lenses, but I just do this for fun and would rather spend money on car stuff

XCNuse...yeah, I'd go with an ND filter too. I have one I use for waterfalls if it's too bright, and also a couple of graduated ND filters for landscapes. "Reflections at Dusk" and "Ripples" (check the name of the jpg) both used a graduated ND filter to make the sky portion a bit darker so it wasn't overexposed. This really helped these pics.
#31 - JTbo
Took pic from my 'tv', it did not came out pretty well as it is not too easy to take pic in dark without support, but I think it looks somewhat ok. It is pity that our tv broadcasts are lower than low in quality, blocky and blurry pic that freezes at times

Hey, long time no see huh guys?
College is well.. let me just say, time consuming

Anyways, I'd like to share what all I've been buying for my camera since I started this thread.

Now I have a 1981 50mm f/1.8 Series E lens, just bought a 28mm f/3.5 Ai, both of which are 100% manual, with absolutely no meetering (which is almost a pain in the ass, but I bought them for the learning experience so I'm not complaining) and have built up a collection of filters.
2 polarizers, a Neutral Density filter (thanks Michael D), and just bought myself an Infrared filter, which should bring out some interesting results.

Nikons I must say are amazing, especially lenses which are approaching 30 years old, they still act brand knew, I can use just one finger to slide arround the focus ring with one finger with such simplicity, yet they feel so solid.

What deals I got with these lenses too, they were amazing lenses back then, and they still are today with my D40, and the best part was the price, the 50mm was $34, and the 28mm was $25. Absolutely fantastic deals.
I just bought my 1st camera ever a few weeks ago... Canon powershot A630 8megapixels. it costs around half as much as the cameras you guys have. but I'm a beginner so its something to learn with.
3d view of my cam = http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/a630_qtvr.html

nice camras guys.. i got a few Very old poloriod camras from the 1960s and some big bulky sony camra ( 2-4 m/p ) hoping to get something with 6 mill pixels up ( for around 100 or less ... )
Nuse, I finally bit the bullet and bought a K100D. Since then I've bought three fully manual lenses to go along with the kit. Having a lot of fun so far. No shots to show yet, but I'm going to Santa Fe tomorrow and then the Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta the week after that, so there should be some good stuff soon.

Edit: and the A630 is a damn good camera for the price, Gab.
-
(simscube) DELETED by simscube
nice pics i havent learned how to do the color thing yet where you make everything black and white except for 1 color. or how to change a one color to another.
-
(simscube) DELETED by simscube
Quote from theirishnoob :nice camras guys.. i got a few Very old poloriod camras from the 1960s and some big bulky sony camra ( 2-4 m/p ) hoping to get something with 6 mill pixels up ( for around 100 or less ... )

Its not only about megapixels, you know? Some DSLR's have about 6MP. Most mainstream compacts have more than that, but due to an DSLR's build and features they perform far better.
Quote from mcintyrej :Its not only about megapixels, you know? Some DSLR's have about 6MP. Most mainstream compacts have more than that, but due to an DSLR's build and features they perform far better.

Quite true. The K100D and D40 are both only 6MP and produce great shots. I think 6MP is really the ideal mp level for everything except professional work.
MP doesn't mean crap once you get over 3MP, actually, depending on the camera and more specifically, the lens, the higher ther MP, then the worse your pictures will be if you have a poor lens because then it will pick up all that poor detail.

My next camera I'm going to save up for though is going to be a full frame camera, but that won't be for many years to come when I can actually afford one of those.
#42 - halo
Quote from mcintyrej :Its not only about megapixels, you know? Some DSLR's have about 6MP. Most mainstream compacts
have more than that, but due to an DSLR's build and features they perform far better.

Totally agree.

I spent more than one year to gain knowledge on digital photography before jumping to DSLR class.
Image quality depends glass and sensor basically, also image processor.
I got Pentax K100D with 18-55 lens finally.

Canon EOS 400D(10mp), Nikon D40X(10mp) and
Pentax K100D Super(6mp), are best machines for entry level DSLR for now
IMO.
#43 - Don
Ive had 350D for almost 2 years now.
All my equipment is in the attached pic.
Photos are @ http://don.vn.cz/
Attached images
cameraequipment.jpg
EOS 400D with 18-55mm kit lens at the moment. I'm aiming for 70-300 IS USM, or 70-200 L right now. After that I'd like to buy a 17-40 L. + necessary filters too.

http://mihkel-m.blogspot.com/ best of my pics are visible there.
Quote from halo :Totally agree.

I spent more than one year to gain knowledge on digital photography before jumping to DSLR class.
Image quality depends glass and sensor basically, also image processor.
I got Pentax K100D with 18-55 lens finally.

Canon EOS 400D(10mp), Nikon D40X(10mp) and
Pentax K100D Super(6mp), are best machines for entry level DSLR for now
IMO.

Might as well add the K10D to that list, since it's cheaper than the 400D. ;]
First day with my new K100D. Well, sort of an exaggeration... the first day I've really gone out and tried to do anything with it, anyway.

Most of these are with the kit lens, a couple with the M 50mm f/1.7 and the Tokina 70-210mm.

New Mexico sunset:

My mom with her dogs, Sawyer and Molly:

Sawyer and Molly in the back seat of the Land Cruiser:

A burst yucca seed pod:

Molly, posing:

Mom:

Mom again. I like this blur, though it wasn't intentional:

My kitten, Fujimoto:

A pear-type fruit in mom's garden (delicious, btw):

The buddha:

Sawyer staking claim to his territory:

Sawyer against the setting sun. I really like this one but I feel it can be better:

Sawyer at a gallop. Another blur I liked:

Warning: self-portrait in mirror is closer than it appears:
#48 - JTbo

My this weeks work place, well 2 weeks after this one too, had to play with camera a bit, trying to learn a bit how to take photos, here is 2 second exposure time.
Quote :I just bought my 1st camera ever a few weeks ago... Canon powershot A630 8megapixels.

Gabkicks,

I'm thinking of buying this camera for school next year. I'm not a professional photographer so can't justify a big price for a camera, and I don't want to fiddle to much to get a nice shot. The A630 sounds like a reasonably good camera for the price and the image quality seems nice. How are you finding it?

Could you recommend it to someone who wants to take lots of texture shots- especially I'm interested in whether you've experienced much barrel distortion or not, and whether the images are clear and sharp enough. I've read some reviews and they sound positive but it would be good to get some testimonials as well.

PS, great shots guys!
I'm in the market for a new camera and 'hybrid/bridge' cameras have recently caught my eye as an alternative to a pricy DSLR.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/ ... Fujifilm-FinePix-S5700/p1

This camera seems to be my perfect choice. The only advantage DSLRs have over this seems to be faster shots and even better picture quality, but they're hugely expensive, require different lenses and don't have video modes so I'm willing to take the drop in image quality. These hybrid cameras also have SLR-style looks and a huge range of manual options.

Camera Showoff
(5560 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG