The online racing simulator
Make and Download Cars for LFS
(31 posts, started )
Make and Download Cars for LFS
Hello. I think that LFS should have the ability to use cars made and downloaded by any user. My idea is that just like the "My Online Car Skins" section on LFS World, the cars can be uploaded through a place on LFS World (maybe "my online cars") so that the cars can be seen on multiplayer whether or not the racer has the vehicle stored on his/her computer. As for multiplayer server hosts, those who don't want to allow downloaded cars on their servers should be given that option (Allow downloaded cars vs. Don't allow downloaded cars). If the process of building and tuning a car is different from just using ZModeler or 3DSMax and using text files for tuning and other car data, a tutorial can be made. I really would consider this idea. Thank you!
No.

Use the Search Function.

KTHX.
After S3 we can start to talk about things like this, to then - wait and enjoy what we have in S2 at the moment
Quote from The Very End :After S3 we can start to talk about things like this, to then - wait and enjoy what we have in S2 at the moment

but Alpha is almost over, and Beta is just around the corner. i dont think making LFS have this ability is too far-fetched and unfeasible, so im guessing that it could be done by the end of patch z and ready for Beta.
Quote from JohnBMW007 :but Alpha is almost over, and Beta is just around the corner. i dont think making LFS have this ability is too far-fetched and unfeasible, so im guessing that it could be done by the end of patch z and ready for Beta.

You must know something the rest of us don't.

Scawen has said, in the past (about 2 years ago at the first UK meet), that he has an interest in modding, but it's unlikely to come before the end of S3. And possibly never.
#6 - garph
How NOT to have someone buy an S2 license for you: PART 2.
You don't know that alpha is almost over. There's at least a couple of months until patch Y, then however many more before Z. And nobody knows what after that. Probably not even the main man himself.
I assume you're thinking that S3 comes after Z, but I think you'd be disappointed. We could go to 0.5AA or 0.6A or pretty much anything Scawen can think of.

There's still way too much stuff missing from LFS to move into beta testing, because beta is 99% bug testing and balancing. Very little actual content changes at that stage.
it's funny, that mostly the request for modding or creating own cars comes from demo racers, who not seen all the content, but wanna do it by yourself. that's crazy
I think that will ruin the feel of LFS a little bit, sure must be fun to race with some more and real cars, but I bought LFS for the great and fun handling, when someone creates a new car, the handlings must be made too, and that can be dissapointing. It's also going to be harder to find a decent server or you will have too download all the car sets out there.

And that is a pain in the ass in Belgium, since I can only download/upload 12 gigs a month or my speed will be lowered to smallband ( 64 kbps I think ) or I have to pay extra. That's what I like about LFS, no nonsense and finding a great place to race in just some seconds.
make and download cars for LFS? you mean like as you do in Racer? i suppose it could be done, but then you will have the problem of racing against people in cars that you havent downloaded and will not be able to see them because of this. when i had racer i downloaded every car and track i could get my hands on and the game file itself ended up from being about 60mb to around 800mb. car files will not be small. not only this but these forums would become a warzone of threads complaining about inaccurate moddeling and physics of the cars. its a nice idea but i dont think its really practical
Modding only works on paper. In practice it will just end up being a big mess.
Quote from X tempor :make and download cars for LFS? you mean like as you do in Racer? i suppose it could be done, but then you will have the problem of racing against people in cars that you havent downloaded and will not be able to see them because of this. when i had racer i downloaded every car and track i could get my hands on and the game file itself ended up from being about 60mb to around 800mb. car files will not be small. not only this but these forums would become a warzone of threads complaining about inaccurate moddeling and physics of the cars. its a nice idea but i dont think its really practical

i think i already explained that there could be a place like "my online car skins" (on lfs world) where you just upload the car and it will be visible to anyone regardless of whether they have the car on their computer.

anyways, i guess this idea is trashed and not gonna work
damn right it is, lfs is gorgeous the way it is
lol, i agree that it would be changing the idea of lfs, but i thought id just wait to hear ppls opinions. oh well
I really don't think LFS should ever be open for modding. There is a 99% chance that it will fall apart like rFactor and end up with hardly any players. We couldn't have a feature like in Garry's Mod that downloads maps and tools as you join a server (cars and tracks in LFS's case) because cars and tracks are generally much larger than what you would see in other games (Gmod maps are relatively small, with the biggest ones being around 30 mb). I would expect to see decent LFS mods going around at ~100-500 mb. The biggest and most annoying mod I have ever downloaded was the NROS NASCAR mod for rFactor. The entire package came to be about 1.3 gigs and i had do download all the tracks and updates seperately. People wouldnt want to waste their time doing that just to race on a server wouldn't they?
Quote from JohnBMW007 :but Alpha is almost over, and Beta is just around the corner. i dont think making LFS have this ability is too far-fetched and unfeasible, so im guessing that it could be done by the end of patch z and ready for Beta.

Huh.???

Whaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttttt??????

Wheeeeaaaaaaarrrrrrrrreeeeeeee????????????

Did I just waaaaaarrrrppp thrrrrouuuught tttiiiiiimeeee?

Is it 2010 already?
#17 - JTbo
Quote from CodieMorgan :Huh.???

Whaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttttt??????

Wheeeeaaaaaaarrrrrrrrreeeeeeee????????????

Did I just waaaaaarrrrppp thrrrrouuuught tttiiiiiimeeee?

Is it 2010 already?

Nah, it was just a glitch in time space continuum, carry on, nothing to see here

Close this and let's discuss in old thread where we had rather nice debate about this already
Somebody forgot to fix the bugs in time itself?

Are you saying 'time' need debugging?
#19 - JTbo
Quote from CodieMorgan :Somebody forgot to fix the bugs in time itself?

Are you saying 'time' need debugging?

Not at all, it is just an undocumented feature
Quote from geeman1 :Modding only works on paper. In practice it will just end up being a big mess.

It can work both ways. If it had been some form of control over the mod`ing I would belive it would work, but if there was no control there probally would be some mess yes
Quote from JohnBMW007 :i think i already explained that there could be a place like "my online car skins" (on lfs world) where you just upload the car and it will be visible to anyone regardless of whether they have the car on their computer.

anyways, i guess this idea is trashed and not gonna work

Okay guys he wants CARSKINS to be avalable to view in demo (like custom skins and ect).

MR Demo Dood. Its already a feature in S2. Just pay $50 and you will be able to have your own skins section.
#22 - Jakg
Err, no, you've COMPLETELY misunderstood Grunt, he wants to EXPAND on skin uploading
It's all explained in the bit you quoted, which I assume you re... ah.
Quote from geeman1 :Modding only works on paper. In practice it will just end up being a big mess.

can't agree with that , look at gpl there are a lot of good mods and addons , in fact thats what keeps it still alive
Quote from swingkid :can't agree with that , look at gpl there are a lot of good mods and addons , in fact thats what keeps it still alive

I give you 10 minutes until Dustin posts.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG