The online racing simulator
The Commercial Airline Pilots' Room
(82 posts, started )
I use my DFP wheel for the ailerons, the shifter for the elevators, and the pedals for the rudder. It is alot better then mouse, that's for sure. I haven't successfully landed yet. Although I did fly the 777 upside down.
Quote from wheel4hummer :Although I did fly the 777 upside down.

Er..... you shouldn't do that..... unless you have the add-on FSPassengers (payware). FSPassengers gives you a manifest of passengers, you have to play music for them, feed them, get them safely to their arrivals, and are rated on your flight in the end. Fly them upside down and you hear them in the back screaming!
#53 - DeKo
Quote from mrodgers :Er..... you shouldn't do that..... unless you have the add-on FSPassengers (payware). FSPassengers gives you a manifest of passengers, you have to play music for them, feed them, get them safely to their arrivals, and are rated on your flight in the end. Fly them upside down and you hear them in the back screaming!

Why would somebody pay for the privilege of looking after difficult people and getting bitched at >_<
Quote from DeKo :Why would somebody pay for the privilege of looking after difficult people and getting bitched at >_<

Isn't that called "Marriage"

I love FS9 and more recently FSX, I've been using a free addon called Tileproxy that allows you to stream Textures from google Earth and yahoo etc.. in real time, the results when used with a high resolution mesh can be stunning. I love it. Heres some videos I made.

http://stage6.divx.com/user/Bramski/...g-Saint-Helens

http://stage6.divx.com/user/Bramski/...-at-high-speed

http://stage6.divx.com/user/Bramski/...rysim-19m-mesh

http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w...matterhorn.flv
#55 - DeKo
that is just beyond words. Looks absolutely amazing. I know its a cliche, but it really does look real.

What kinda specs are you running that on?
Quote from DeKo :that is just beyond words. Looks absolutely amazing. I know its a cliche, but it really does look real.

What kinda specs are you running that on?

Pretty standard stuff.

Intel Duo e4300
ATI x1950 pro
2gb Ballistix 667 memory

The performance when using tileproxy is superb as you don't need the autogen and trees switched on so they're not there bogging the game engine down. It has its down sides though, up close most buildings are flat unless they're main buildings and the trees are flat up close too but the textures do a very good job of maintaining the illusion and you can manually add autogen if you fly the same areas a lot. You also can't use it with jets of fast planes otherwise you get texture lag (blurries) but for VFR you cannot beat this.
#57 - DeKo
Ah right, nice setup.

I tried FSX demo a while ago, was getting horrible performance and i got the impression that my CPU was bottlenecking. Ive got an X1900XTX, but only an athlon 4000+. I just stick to FS9, but it looks nowhere near like that at all. I was just fascinated with the canary islands though, as i just randomly fly round there randomly, and if i ever take a jet anywhere, its usually to or from tenerife.
Dont let the demo's performance put you off Deko, it's pre sp1.

I'm running FSX with payware VFR on :-

Athlon 2600+
FX5500
512 RAM

Getting consistant 10-20 fps which is easily enough to fly with. Admittedly thats with no weather/traffic etc, and i have to strip winXP down as far as it'll go and still run, so i cant use Tile Proxy, but honestly its worth it There's a software company (whose name i cant quite remember at the mo) has just released a couple of islands in Hawaii and it looks stunning, just like Bramski's vid.

What i'd like to see is Tile Proxy used with MS Virtual Earth, imagine flying over the cities with that 3D photo effect thing it's got !!
Whoo I just got FSX about 4 hours ago and played non-stop...anyone else got it? I'll add ya as a buddy!
Quote from scoobyrbac :Whoo I just got FSX about 4 hours ago and played non-stop...anyone else got it? I'll add ya as a buddy!

So.. are you the kind of guy that went to multiplayer as the first thing and asked ho i move, wich buton i press. And then spam the ATC channel, I'm taking off, yeehaa, ohno, I'm stalling, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, oh yeah, I crashed.
nope, i know how to do everything but land tryed and tryed again and i still suck at it..haha
I love the take-offs but I have a love-hate relationship for landing...

Because landing is nice when you get bak on land but hate because i always suck at this.
Landing is easy (if you don't jump in 747 right away). Just remember, throttle = decent and pitch = airspeed, not the other way around.
Well I play YSFlight 2000 and I just jump right in a Concorde or DC-10 or an Airbus A-400M... Not a really realistic flight sim but it's still quite good sinc eit's from a pilot... One-man team YSFlight pwns FSX in this way
@scoobyrbac - [Sarcasm )You can do everything but land?
@scoobyrbac - [Sarcasm )You can do everything but land? So, you're familiar with ILS approaches, VOR navigation and so on. Wow.

@mrodgers - And flaps Landing takes a while to practise, but you can be really proud of yourself when you've mastered taildragger 3 point landing.
Quote from Lible :@scoobyrbac - [Sarcasm )You can do everything but land? So, you're familiar with ILS approaches, VOR navigation and so on. Wow.

@mrodgers - And flaps Landing takes a while to practise, but you can be really proud of yourself when you've mastered taildragger 3 point landing.

Flaps on landing are purely optional and at discretion of the pilot. 0 Flaps landings are always more fun, you come in much lower and much faster, quite exciting really. Flaps are only needed if you want to steepen your decent and maintain a slow airspeed. Nothing is more fun then a good x-wind landing though, especially when you mix in a forward slip with a side-slip and bring it down.
You're not right about the purely optional flaps, with flaps you go slower and therefor you get a less noticeable touchdown.
You do go slower but like I said it's at the discretion of the pilot. It depends on how you do the approach and what type of landing you are doing. I'm speaking general aviation side of it, not the heavies.
Most pilots from SIngapore are trained to use their flaps to land... Good pilots from SIngapore man!
Quote from hiroshima guy :Most pilots from SIngapore are trained to use their flaps to land... Good pilots from SIngapore man!

All pilots are trained - slower speed = less danger
Yeah how I wish I could get a ride in a plane LOL... I have never taken a ride on a plane before. The only way I could do that is by Flight Sims...
I rode in a Cessna in 1978ish or so. I was quite young, so I don't really remember it much.

I took my first (and only) commercial flight on September 11, 2002. It was nice being the 1st aniversary of 9/11 because I was one of 3 in the entire airport (KPIT) that day . It is quite cool when you hear the engines throttle up, and that huge hunk of steel catapaults down the runway pushing you back in the seat.
So what's that plane and what airline you took during 2002?
Oh dear one day and still no one answered... I guess his plane crashed LOL:haha:

The Commercial Airline Pilots' Room
(82 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG