The online racing simulator
The problem with CD1 and CD2
(35 posts, started )
I have been racing GTR's on Astion National for a couple of years. Yesterday, I was on CD2 racing with some of the regulars and it was great, BUT there were only 5 of us. I left CD2 to to try CD1, sure enough there were 30 racers there. BUT the "racing" was terrible, this server has become an american demolition derby most of the time. The problem is there are too few quick and clean drivers on that server, there are no admins (not last night anyway), and as a result chaos reigns. Bumping your opponents off the track to stay ahead is the norm it seems....(while winning on CD2 I struggled to finish 7th on CD1 because there wasnt a single lap where I wasnt either bumped off the track or had to take avoiding action due to other drivers' crashes).

Splitting the CD1 and CD2 drivers has turned CD2 into a lonely place and CD1 into a nightmare, as a result I struggle to find good racing. Wouldnt it be better to remove the restricitions to bunch up the good drivers with the bad ones, that way the experienced drivers can at least somewhat "police" the situation and ban/kick idiots if need be? Thats the way it used to be before CD2 became licensed, I remember it was fun, plenty of drivers, the occasional idiot who would get banned sooner or later.

Or is it just me?
No it is true, I have not raced too much on those servers so I can`t comment that deeply. But from my little experience, or the few races I have raced in, it allways end up with a 10+ pilup in the first corner, it`s extreme. The one night I raced probally 2 hours, and within those hours there wasn`t ONE race that wasn`t a big crashfest.
And of course there was no admins, so the crasher could do as they wanted.. So yes, I too think there is a problem on those servers.
This is old news, really. I haven't bothered connecting to any CD server for quite a while now. It was only when I joined other GTR servers that I realized how horrible the standard of racing on [CD] really is.
I'm jealous
Quote from The Very End :And of course there was no admins, so the crasher could do as they wanted.. So yes, I too think there is a problem on those servers.

Its not the servers fault or the fact there was no admins, its the fact that CD servers offer full grids and this attracts so many drivers who have little or no race craft.

I went on CD1 yesterday and kicked 4 and banned 3 but its a full time job and after all you can vote.

Come on, if you are fast enought fill up CD2 rather than having a go at us (again).
I`m not saying it`s a bad server, I just say that it would need more attention from the admins to keep it clear.
And one thing, eheh you don`t offer full grid, only 24 cars
(got ya!)

But as I said, I have nothing against you or the server, just some of the people there and the lack of admins there.
Quote from birder :Its not the servers fault or the fact there was no admins, its the fact that CD servers offer full grids and this attracts so many drivers who have little or no race craft.

I went on CD1 yesterday and kicked 4 and banned 3 but its a full time job and after all you can vote.

Come on, if you are fast enought fill up CD2 rather than having a go at us (again).

Not having a go at you guys at all, in fact thanks for running the CD servers, you guys are great, but just saying at this point I may give up on the CD servers because the situation is not managable. You are right, being Admin is a full-time job and I cant imgine you can deal with 30+ noobs all the time. I would be happy to help in voting to ban/kick idiots (like I used to do in the old days), but not when theres 30 of them and 1 of me. I need more experienced drivers on my side, and these are sorely lacking on CD1 most of the time.
Quote from obsolum :This is old news, really. I haven't bothered connecting to any CD server for quite a while now. It was only when I joined other GTR servers that I realized how horrible the standard of racing on [CD] really is.

The new system should be online in a few days, it does things in a different way.

Drivers will have to earn points in full races and if your license does not have enough points you cant join. To control bad drivers or those with the wrong attitude we will simply make their license -1 points and they will never be able to join a race on our servers.
Quote from The Very End :you don`t offer full grid, only 24 cars
(got ya!)

If i switch CD1 to 32 its full straight away and the racing is stupid, totally uncontrollable. You also get groups of mates taking control, voting off everyone they dont like.

You have no idea how many emails i get asking to be unbanned and LFS is great for single server control but a nightmare when you have multiple servers. If i give admin rights to others to help i just get more emails.

Come on folks give us a break.
CD1 can be a good server when there are admins around, unfortunately when the leave it currently descends to complete chaos CD3 however doesn't seem to attract these idiots and offers great racing

With CD1 you just have to pick a time when their are admins or respectable racers outweigh the noobs, which is usually early evening and when they go to bed you may as well leave because you're not going to get anything constructive done after that.

EDIT - thought I'd ask, how long does it take for the license to get updated? I set a lap bellow the CD3 requirement on CD3 a couple of weeks ago and nothing has come up on the license search
I thank you all for your comments.

The problem is that as our servers can now take 47 players, we restrict the public servers to 20 or 22 in the race but this means the race is almost always full with others waiting to get on.

The idea to allow drivers to earn a license on CD1 and CD3 so they can race on CD2 and CD4 is a sound one, but the problem is that drivers stay on the public servers.

We had 14 in races on CD2 yesterday, and they were good clean races.

As to having admins on CD1 to police it, well to be fair i went on the servers and sorted it out twice yesterday with kicks and bans but within a day its just the same.

All CD Race team members can now kick people but as they are all licensed they normally goto CD2 as they have been asked to do.

Remember that the current system is just tempory, the new system is being worked on and hopefully come on line within a couple of weeks.

At that point the new automatic league starts and ANYONE who causes any type of problem or breaks the rules on the servers will not be allowed to race so cannot score points.

In the mean time i am sorry but there is not a lot i can do.
Quote from El Presidente :Not having a go at you guys at all, in fact thanks for running the CD servers.

By the way, we were 1 and 2 in the 2 races i had with you yesterday on CD2. (You won them both)

They were both good races, but i would make it clear you are to fast to race on CD1 and should only use CD2

Simply go onto CD1 and ask the faster drivers to move over, most will do.
Quote from ajp71 :CD1 can be a good server when there are admins around, unfortunately when the leave it currently descends to complete chaos CD3 however doesn't seem to attract these idiots and offers great racing

With CD1 you just have to pick a time when their are admins or respectable racers outweigh the noobs, which is usually early evening and when they go to bed you may as well leave because you're not going to get anything constructive done after that.

EDIT - thought I'd ask, how long does it take for the license to get updated? I set a lap bellow the CD3 requirement on CD3 a couple of weeks ago and nothing has come up on the license search

I am doing the license update today
Quote from The Very End :Hmmm?
You are jealous on what?

On you have all kind fancy servers :-)

on demo even on good servers with two admins watching the race anyway everyone will get wrecked by someone

There aren't a lot people that understand that you have to be a lot faster to overtake someone - or know what you doing very well. Cause often you get people coming in the turn to overtake ya and just pushing you or block your way - not doing it properly
Quote from birder :By the way, we were 1 and 2 in the 2 races i had with you yesterday on CD2. (You won them both)

They were both good races, but i would make it clear you are to fast to race on CD1 and should only use CD2

Simply go onto CD1 and ask the faster drivers to move over, most will do.

Yeah they were good races, and you are a good driver.

But at this point, rather than limit myself to CD2 and race against only a handful of drivers, I will try the other non-CD servers to see what its like.

I look forward to any improvements coming to CD and hope to race again in your servers, hopefully under better conditions soon!
Quote from birder :
All CD Race team members can now kick people but as they are all licensed they normally goto CD2 as they have been asked to do.

Actually active admining isn't that essential when there are [CD] people on the server, or enough of the respected racers to be able to ban the people causing trouble rather than just ending up getting banned themselves by the trouble makers who will vote to ban anything that moves and at the low points there are always 7 more to press '1'. I'm not sure if CD1 could ever really fully overcome these problems at the off peak times with the current vote ban system, which can be used for good or bad. Using licenses seems like an easier route, if people just practice on CD1 at the times when it is full of good clean racers and admins and put a laptime in to get them upto the CD2 standard, that's what I know I'm going to do and just disconnect when the noobs take over

Quote from birder :I am doing the license update today

Great
Quote from Moonchild LT :On you have all kind fancy servers :-)

on demo even on good servers with two admins watching the race anyway everyone will get wrecked by someone

There aren't a lot people that understand that you have to be a lot faster to overtake someone - or know what you doing very well. Cause often you get people coming in the turn to overtake ya and just pushing you or block your way - not doing it properly

So get a license, and you will not have this problem
Quote from The Very End :So get a license, and you will not have this problem

Don't have money.... I lost ma job when i moved to different place... so money - no guitar equipement - no LFS license .. life sucks
Awww
How you got money for internet then?
Quote from The Very End :Awww

My mummy pays for it but other stuff i have to buy by my self. except food and clothes
Quote from The Very End :Awww

"Luxury, In my day i used to dream of living in a hole in the road..........."

Monty Python
No comments

I feel your pain birder, I feel your pain.

(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG