The online racing simulator
Overclocking
(145 posts, closed, started )
Overclocking
Why hello everybody!

I was wondering how to overclock my system...what the dangers are...etc ... ( i hope jacks here)

Thanks
aww.... but thats why i asked how to overclock...the dangers, etc. i think im old enough to make my huge life changing decision of wether to overclock or not!...thanks anyway
There is no easy "do this and your get that" answer to overclocking as every system will react differently. There are hundreds of overclocking forums on the net so Google is your best friend on this one.

A couple of points to remember is that your bios will usually connect elements of your system together so upping the FSB on your CPU will also up the FSB on your RAM. You will need to take things slow and do alot of testing with prime95 or similar to ensure stability. Cooling is a major factor with overclocking - you usually need to up the voltage to your CPU to hold stability which makes it run hotter - get a good cooler before you start!

What spec system are you running? Core 2 duo systems overclock an absolute treat - my 6300 is clocked at 1.8gig stock and currently been running happily at 3.1gig for the past few months (after also passing 24hours testing on prime95). Sometimes you will find yourself limited as to what components you have - some motherboards are much more overclocking friendly than others, same for the RAM and CPU. Download Everest Home Edition to get a full list of system specs if you don't know and use sites like tomshardware to get reviews as they normally do overclock tests.

I'm no expert at this but gimme a shout if you get stuck
thanks skinny...if you add me on msn drifter_p@hotmail.co.uk can tell you it all from there and stuff...but, if you dont here it is

AMD Turion 64 X L2 1GB Cache
ATI Radeon Express up to 258 memory
896Gb of RAM...
My computer always runs cool...so i doubt it will be a problem, if it is, ill just wack a few ice packs on it, or shove a fan in front of it ofr something
#5 - CSU1
Quote from LFSn00b :I don't really recommend overclocking for you, you are only about 13 and you don't know about your computer a lot. I recommend to buy new parts for your computer instead of overclocking, much safer, and no excessive overheating

coming from a fella who's Dad would'nt let him open his case when you got a virus that time
1 GB cache? I won´t overclock my notebook, because of the risk of overheating. In case you insist doing so, you should really know what you are doing, so read through multiple technichal manuals.

What about selling your notebook and getting a desktop pc, which will be much faster?
Whoahoho don't overclock your notebook, its going to end in disaster - or more likely an unusably unstable pc.
i just wanna put it up to 2 ghz from 1.66 sometimes i dont even know its on....its got SUCH a good cooling system, the fans about the size of the length of a red bull can in diameter
#9 - Jakg
Quote from harjun :i hope jacks here

Tada!
Quote from LFSn00b :I don't really recommend overclocking for you, you are only about 13 and you don't know about your computer a lot. I recommend to buy new parts for your computer instead of overclocking, much safer, and no excessive overheating

Niko, your 14 and YOU dont understand overclocking either, please but out.

Dangers:
Overheating - not an issue if you watch your temperatures, dont push too hard and have decent cooling
Frying something - not an issue if you know what your doing
Instability - Know where the limit is and your rock stable.

I personally tried overclocking following someones advice on a car forum, and they were idiots. Read up FIRST, you gotta know about FSB, Multipliers, vCore, Memory Dividers etc.

BUT Overclocking a laptop = Nono. They have under-adequate cooling as it is, you dont wanna stress it.

Just because something looks cool, doesn't mean it is - when i moved my desk around i forgot to plug my water cooler back in (cools my PC with water flowing about inside) and the CPU hit 114° before the mobo went "OH S**T!!!!!!" and turned off -the PC wasn't warm, neither was the tube or the water block (well not by much at least).
#10 - CSU1
Quote from pb32000 :Whoahoho don't overclock your notebook, its going to end in disaster - or more likely an unusably unstable pc.

now c'mon thats just not true, all ya need is a hoover and a hair dryer
Haha please...i dont care if it blow up...i might just even get a better desktop...Jack...my laptop is an Acer Aspire 5100...please, just tell me how to get it it 2.0Ghz from 1.66Ghz...ive read loads on the forum of overclock.net...niko introduced me to it, but please...just tell me, im 100% sure it will work, using speed fan..mine never overdoes 23 celcious...and the fan, as i said is nearly bigger than my redbull wallpaper can
Quote from CSU1 :now c'mon thats just not true, all ya need is a hoover and a hair dryer

LOL - recommended method for overclocking with hairdryer and hoover:

(Make sure your hairdryer is set to cool mode for extra performance)
lol, im probably the sort of retard who would actually put it on like...hot mode or something lol
#14 - CSU1
Quote from pb32000 :LOL - recommended method for overclocking with hairdryer and hoover:

(Make sure your hairdryer is set to cool mode for extra performance)

"Power Dry 3000"- LOL you made that pic too fast ...you have done this before, yes?
ok on topic again...just tell me how to get it to 2.0ghz...i do not give a red bull can if it blows up...

well i would kill myself for a red bull
#16 - Jakg
Quote from harjun :Haha please...i dont care if it blow up...i might just even get a better desktop...Jack...my laptop is an Acer Aspire 5100...please, just tell me how to get it it 2.0Ghz from 1.66Ghz...ive read loads on the forum of overclock.net...niko introduced me to it, but please...just tell me, im 100% sure it will work, using speed fan..mine never overdoes 23 celcious...and the fan, as i said is nearly bigger than my redbull wallpaper can

Whats the temperature under load (like playing LFS) for 5-10 mins?

To overclock you need to go into the BIOS and change some options, usually most pre-built PC's have these options locked out to stop you from breaking them. You can OC in windows but i neither recommend it nor know anything about it.
Quote from harjun :thanks skinny...if you add me on msn drifter_p@hotmail.co.uk can tell you it all from there and stuff...but, if you dont here it is

AMD Turion 64 X L2 1GB Cache
ATI Radeon Express up to 258 memory
896Gb of RAM...
My computer always runs cool...so i doubt it will be a problem, if it is, ill just wack a few ice packs on it, or shove a fan in front of it ofr something

hmm you want to overclock a laptop?
with 1GB cache?
and 896 GBs of Memory?
and with a VGA which has upto 258 memory?

I'll give you a valuable advice for free...

Just leave your poor notebook as is, I mean if you want to still have a notebook tomorrow.
as jak said, yea No laptop in the world has unlocked bios with the overclockable features in it. But you can get a hacked bios with those settings unlocked and enjoy blowing up your laptop into smithereens but you can raise the fsb of your laptop in windows by using clockgen but it will fry you cpu if you don't get the cpuid number right hope that helps you
#19 - Jakg
Quote from anik360 :as jak said, yea No laptop in the world has unlocked bios with the overclockable features in it.

One Dell XPS does, but i still think its utterly stupid...
I beg you now...i said i dont care what happens...all i asked...was EASY guide on how to overclock it to 2.0ghz...no more making decisions for me...i can do it myself..well, with your help...

I will even pay you the lucky price of a pack of 4 red bull cans
Right well its not easy. So there you go. End of.
#23 - Jakg
You'd need to lock the PCI/SATA ports and dial in an FSB of 241 MHz and stick your memory on a slight divider BUT I STILL RECOMMEND YOU NOT DOING IT!
#24 - CSU1
Quote from harjun :Why hello everybody!

I was wondering how to overclock my system...what the dangers are...etc ... ( i hope jacks here)

Thanks

what fps do you average Harjun?
about...40?-50?...whats so funny about that you needed to put it in your sig
This thread is closed

Overclocking
(145 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG